PDA

View Full Version : Clear bowling balls -- stay clear?

GoKidd
10-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Do the clear bowling balls stay clear after use? Is there any way to polish out the scratches that seem to make them look cloudy?

kev3inp
10-04-2011, 11:03 PM
I had my Spare Tire resurfaced and polished in the pro shop after it picked up a big scratch from the machinery. It came out great, like new.
It had a definite track on it, and various other damage, but it came out like it had never been thrown.

glen290
10-05-2011, 06:41 AM
They stay pretty clear, i used to clean mine after every series, keep it clean and will be fine, had it for 3 years..

bowl1820
10-05-2011, 10:39 AM
I've had one clear ball and one with a clear shell(the optyx smiley face). No problem with getting cloudy from the oil, except for the first one I had(Org. clear wolf got a little cloudy).

But I would never get another one because their magnets for damage. Everyone I had got destroyed. The clear wolf I had to have it resurfaced about every 2-3 weeks because of all the nicks and gouges it got. Till one day it hung up in the machine and it carved a gouge all the way around the ball. The optyx hit a pin base in the pit (left a impression of the base) and split the cover. So no more clear balls.

glen290
10-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Only issue i had with mine was that it statred to break around the fingers, had it repaired once, lasted for 12 months then i got rid when it started again..

hondo
10-06-2011, 08:39 AM
Do the clear bowling balls stay clear after use? Is there any way to polish out the scratches that seem to make them look cloudy?

The ball is clear all the way to the core. The surface will get milky looking after being used and will slowly become cloudy. A quick resurface will bring the ball back to new within 30 minutes in a resurfacing machine. The shame is that a cool ball like the Rose ball or spare ball will only "look" new for 9 games or so. That also greatly depends on where you bowl and how well maintained the machines are. It used to be much worst when bowling on wood

kev3inp
10-06-2011, 09:47 AM
Al, I recall the clear wolf. A guy in league a few years ago had one. It had kind of a jack looking core in it. It was pretty beat up looking, but it looked like it was all surface problems and not clouding inside.
His seemed a little yellowish, now that I think about it, kind of like the way the plastic lenses on headlight covers get these days.

GoKidd
10-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the good feedback, folks.