PDA

View Full Version : Wrist and elbow pain

rmndlws
10-12-2008, 09:26 PM
Good evening all,
I would like to change my bowling technique from top to bottom due to some wrist and elbow pain that I experience after bowling 4-5 nights in one week. I realize that while I am a very good bowler, I will never be able to hold up in tournaments with my current technique. I will take a video of my approach and release on Tuesday when I bowl again. My main question though is this: Are there any good videos/websites that walk an experienced bowler through going from a high rev, high speed style to more of a WRW Jr/Norm Duke technique? Seriously, my arm feels like it is going to fall off right now and I am almost dreading a trip to the lanes on Tuesday...
Thanks,
Rmndlws

onefrombills
10-12-2008, 10:25 PM
hey there !!

Im sure you have done this or atleast thought about this but lowering the ball and slower legs will in turn have your timing slower...arm speed will be slower too

kev3inp
10-13-2008, 08:20 AM
I guess those other 80% may be onto something after all. Try lowering your backswing and keeping your shoulders more square to the target.

Iceman
10-14-2008, 11:59 AM
This is exactly what and why I did the same thing. I didn't have pains, but I'm not built for high revs/speed. I switched from 16lb cranker to 14lb stroker - biggest improvement is average, not tearing up the lanes with big scores - but very consistent at 630 - 680. I still have a tendency to rip the coverstock off, but like previously said - SLOWER is the key - I've shortened my feet and didn't have to lower the ball as much, and can still raise if needed.

I have shot 21 games in a single night - (took 6 hours) - but I was still strong (after a few weeks of bowflex) to see the results. I used to only shoot 5 - 8 games and I couldn't roll the ball much at all. My legs were numb after the 21 games, but my shoulders, arms and wrist felt strong. I did have to put on a Robby Glove to keep my wrist straight. Too many years of cupping.

I've been doing this for almost a year now, and I feel great about my approach to the game. Stay slow, never look anywhere but your mark until the ball rolls throughs it, and adjust your feet off break point.
Accuracy - Timing- Follow Through.

rmndlws
10-15-2008, 09:33 AM
I guess those other 80% may be onto something after all. Try lowering your backswing and keeping your shoulders more square to the target.

Nah, not really. I don't think the words that I used were conveyed properly/understood properly but that is water under the bridge. I am purely doing this to get better at longevity...not because I am not scoring. I had a 686 last night on some decent but not easy conditions. Basically, I just muscled through the oil pattern. Is that the best way to do it? No, not really. It worked last night but will not work on a tourney platform due to the amount of games. I'm posting a video of one of my warm-up shots from last night. The video is pretty consistent with what I do during the rest of the night as it was about my 7th or 8th shot of warm-ups. I did not "tape" one of my in-game shots as I did not want to be concentrating on anything other than the game at hand.

One thing that I didn't realize is how straight up I am at the line. I will be working on more of a knee bend for a lower/steadier base. I will also be working on keeping my shoulders more flush with the line this week in a practice series that I am planning on for tomorrow.

Before you jump on the fact that I am too large of an individual to be worrying about technique...I am working on that part of my life as well and have lost about 16 lbs in the last month and am working on the next 20.

Thanks for any advice,
Rmndlws

http://s392.photobucket.com/albums/pp8/rmndlws/?action=view&current=005.flv

Baroncad
10-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Basically, I just muscled through the oil pattern. Is that the best way to do it? No, not really.

You said it yourself, muscling it constantly will over time at a tourny wore you out.
Whats your speed and revs?
Slow down the speed and let the ball do the work, not you working the ball.

Before you jump on the fact that I am too large of an individual to be worrying about technique...I am working on that part of my life as well and have lost about 16 lbs in the last month and am working on the next 20.

How does size factor-in on Technique? From the video you supplied, you throw the ball "in the air" to the arrows do that 72 times and your arm is going to be sore, real sore.

I have gone extreme bowling (11pm-2am) @ AMF and have thrown 16 games. My arm the next day was dead and my ball speed is 15-16.