PDA

View Full Version : Missing your spot? Try this...

aussiedave
10-16-2011, 05:05 PM
Have been trying out something recently and have discovered a few things about my own form - perhaps you can benefit from it also.
You have heard about keeping your eye on the spot of the ball until you finish your swing in golf right? Well it occurred to me that this might be beneficial in my bowling swing also, by not just looking at, but focusing on my spot until I have completely finished my follow through.
What I found was that it showed me immediately when I missed my mark, but I feel it also helped my accuracy. It also helps your form, by keeping you in your delivery position longer thereby keeping you balanced longer at the line.
You are not as likely to miss the ball rolling down the lane as you might a golf ball in flight, so the tendency to "look up" too soon will be lessened, so it shouldn't be difficult to integrate into your game.
Give it a try - and if you feel it helped you too, let me know!
ad.

Josch
10-16-2011, 05:09 PM
I actually happened to do this today while picking up spares with a spare ball. I was a lot more accurate than I was when I took my eyes off my target durring or immediately after my release.

J Anderson
10-16-2011, 06:24 PM
I had a horrible time for shooting spares last week and finally realized on Friday that I was taking my eyes off my target too soon.

aussiedave
10-16-2011, 06:32 PM
I had a horrible time for shooting spares last week and finally realized on Friday that I was taking my eyes off my target too soon.

Thanks for the replies.
I was surprised and disappointed with the regularity I was missing my mark, so am hoping I will see even more improvement with my accuracy as I get used to it - it certainly can't hurt!
ad.

Bizwan65
10-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Good tip. As a golfer and bowler it makes perfect sense to me. I'll have to give it a try.

aussiedave
10-16-2011, 08:25 PM
Good tip. As a golfer and bowler it makes perfect sense to me. I'll have to give it a try.
Thanks Bizwan - it made sense to me!
ad.

The Mayor
10-17-2011, 11:29 AM
Yes, this is a great tip. One that I've heard for a long time and one that is always true. "Watch your ball roll over your mark". Really works!

archerbrad
10-17-2011, 12:19 PM
Have been trying out something recently and have discovered a few things about my own form - perhaps you can benefit from it also.
You have heard about keeping your eye on the spot of the ball until you finish your swing in golf right? Well it occurred to me that this might be beneficial in my bowling swing also, by not just looking at, but focusing on my spot until I have completely finished my follow through.
What I found was that it showed me immediately when I missed my mark, but I feel it also helped my accuracy. It also helps your form, by keeping you in your delivery position longer thereby keeping you balanced longer at the line.
You are not as likely to miss the ball rolling down the lane as you might a golf ball in flight, so the tendency to "look up" too soon will be lessened, so it shouldn't be difficult to integrate into your game.
ad.

I did this at the end of a match last week, actually, and bowled the best game that I have ever bowled (a score of 117). I got three strikes in a row. I'm a believer, haha.

aussiedave
10-17-2011, 09:47 PM
I did this at the end of a match last week, actually, and bowled the best game that I have ever bowled (a score of 117). I got three strikes in a row. I'm a believer, haha.

Keep practicing Brad, and concentrating on that "form" - you will improve as you seem willing to learn and are trying to get better - it will come. Sometimes you can pick up something like these tips and it just might be the thing to put you on the next level. Good luck and enjoy your game.
ad.

martin
10-19-2011, 12:43 AM
ad.
interesting tips.. this certainly helped me.. especially for the stubborn pin 10 that seems to stick to the ground.. lol

glen290
10-25-2011, 05:43 AM
This works great, we have our juniors shout out the board during practice sessions that their ball rolls over at the arrows and when it hits the pins to get them used to watching the ball all the way through.

StormGirl
10-25-2011, 01:13 PM
This is really helpful. I was always told to do this, but never really paid attention to it. Once I started looking at my point longer, my accuracy went way up. Another thing I noticed was that I'm a right handed bowler, but left eye dominant. I found closing my dominant eye helped throw the ball much more accurately to the point.

aussiedave
10-25-2011, 05:46 PM
This is really helpful. I was always told to do this, but never really paid attention to it. Once I started looking at my point longer, my accuracy went way up. Another thing I noticed was that I'm a right handed bowler, but left eye dominant. I found closing my dominant eye helped throw the ball much more accurately to the point.
Closing one eye - haven't heard that before, interesting. I'm long sighted in my left eye, is that what you mean?
I also find that pushing the ball out straight at the target board and following through at the same board helps with the accuracy as well.
One person said to aim at a target further down the lane - his theory was interesting also - said it made the error room smaller at the pins.
ad.

StormGirl
10-26-2011, 02:53 AM
Yeah, it's something I picked up. When someone shoots a gun, they close one eye. I applied the same concept to bowling, and it works wonders :). I don't really know how to describe eye dominance, but if you put your hands in a triangle and center an object inside the triangle, close one eye at a time. Whichever eye the object is shown clearly is your dominant eye. Hope I didn't make that more confusing than it should be. I also heard about aiming further down the lane as well. That also seems to work well for me. I just switch up my routine for whichever works best at the time.

martin
10-26-2011, 09:52 AM
Yeah, it's something I picked up. When someone shoots a gun, they close one eye. I applied the same concept to bowling, and it works wonders :). I don't really know how to describe eye dominance, but if you put your hands in a triangle and center an object inside the triangle, close one eye at a time. Whichever eye the object is shown clearly is your dominant eye. Hope I didn't make that more confusing than it should be. I also heard about aiming further down the lane as well. That also seems to work well for me. I just switch up my routine for whichever works best at the time.

hmm really? well i'm right handed and now i know i'm right eye dominant after trying your test.. :D

StormGirl
10-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Then you shouldn't have a problem hitting your mark due to this. Many people that are right handed and left eye dominant have a problem with hitting their mark on the lanes. :( I for one had a HUGE problem with it.

The Mayor
10-27-2011, 08:02 AM
Then you shouldn't have a problem hitting your mark due to this. Many people that are right handed and left eye dominant have a problem with hitting their mark on the lanes. :( I for one had a HUGE problem with it.

I agree. I also fall into this category and will always miss slightly to the right when looking at my target. The only problem I could see with closing an eye would be the loss of depth perception.

martin
10-27-2011, 10:13 AM
well when i really focus.. u're right.. i hit my mark well.. my problem is that sometimes i lose focus..