PDA

View Full Version : Adjustments for that dang cold ten pin.

aussiedave
11-02-2011, 11:22 PM
Don't know if this has been tried before, but I thought this might be a good idea for a thread.
If the lanes are oily, and your ball isn't hooking like you're used to, try slowing it down. If you do this, it might be a good idea to step forward 6 inches on your approach.
One way to slow it down, is to hold the ball a little lower in your stance and don't push it out as far as you usually would. This allows the ball to stop skidding as far and to start rolling sooner, rolling into the pocket instead of still hooking.
Feel free to post your own adjustment ideas about clobbering that pesky ten when they seem to stand and laugh at you!
ad.

HunterRunsIt
11-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Im A right handed bowler so for those tens I throw a "Back Up" Ball which is very simple but looked down upon for pickin them up I have no real trouble.

littlelegs
11-30-2011, 09:45 AM
I usually adjust backwards or forwards if I seem to be leaving too many tens. Just 6 inches or so will often work for me. Of course there are exceptions and then it's time for a ball change so that I'm hitting the pocket just that little bit differently.

StormGirl
11-30-2011, 12:54 PM
It's always best to practice converting spares with straight balls. That way, the condition of the lanes are obsolete, and your spare shooting will always be consistent

v33dubfox
12-02-2011, 06:43 PM
Usually, if I often get the 7 pin (I am left handed), I place my feet ½ board to the left. So for a right handed, it would be ½ board to the right.

got_a_300
12-12-2011, 12:34 AM
When leaving 10 pins I usually make an adjustment to the right 1/2 board and if that doesn't
work then I'll move an inch or so back on the approach also, so between both adjustments it
usually gets those pesky 10 pins out for me.

littlelegs
12-12-2011, 01:16 PM
I'm sure it's been posted before but it always amazes me how many people (primarily league players) will blame everything except themselves for leaving 10 pins. Rather than making small adjustments to fix it, they blame the lane/oil/temperature/pins/ball (take your pick). So many people seem to think pocket = instant success and will totally ignore speed, entry angle, revs etc as contributing factors.

That said I wish I were hitting the pocket a little more often at the moment or rather more consistently but that's a different topic :p

got_a_300
12-12-2011, 06:05 PM
I'm sure it's been posted before but it always amazes me how many people (primary league players) will blame everything except themselves for leaving 10 pins. Rather than making small adjustments to fix it, they blame the lane/oil/temperature/pins/ball (take your pick). So many people seem to think pocket = instant success and will totally ignore speed, entry angle, revs etc as contributing factors.
I couldn't agree with you more on this topic we have several like that in our center they would rather blame the lane man,
the ball, the pins, everything except themselves. I ask them well have you tried any kind of adjustments and they just say
("well I'm hitting the pocket good so why do I need to move any on the approach because its so and so or this and that that
is causing the 10 / 7 pin to stand because it's not me because I'm crushing the pocket.")

vgw
12-12-2011, 07:34 PM
I always blame myself or describe why I left it, like hit the pocket a bit too high, etc. My teammates and I know when we did something correctly or what needs to be adjusted. It is a lot easier to blame things, but doesn't really accomplish much.

aussiedave
12-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Don't know if this has been tried before, but I thought this might be a good idea for a thread.
If the lanes are oily, and your ball isn't hooking like you're used to, try slowing it down. If you do this, it might be a good idea to step forward 6 inches on your approach.
One way to slow it down, is to hold the ball a little lower in your stance and don't push it out as far as you usually would. This allows the ball to stop skidding as far and to start rolling sooner, rolling into the pocket instead of still hooking.
Feel free to post your own adjustment ideas about clobbering that pesky ten when they seem to stand and laugh at you!
ad.

Thanks to the posters who replied.
I should have been a little more specific in my op - some got what I really wanted to discuss and some understandably went with the spare angle.
So, I'll elaborate - what adjustments do you make to your next strike shot if the lanes are medium to oily and you are leaving ringer ten's?
ad.

tumblebug1949
12-13-2011, 06:24 PM
Hi aussiedave,

I am a novice at bowling but was provided this information that may be useful to you. About half way through the article, it discussed what to do if you are leaving the ten pin a lot. There is a lot of really good information in this in addition to the ten pin adjustment.

http://www.athletics2000.com/andrew/Documents/USBC%20Chapter%2008%20Lane%20Play.pdf

Good Bowling

StormGirl
12-22-2011, 10:47 AM
Thanks to the posters who replied.
I should have been a little more specific in my op - some got what I really wanted to discuss and some understandably went with the spare angle.
So, I'll elaborate - what adjustments do you make to your next strike shot if the lanes are medium to oily and you are leaving ringer ten's?
ad.

hmm that varies from person to person. id say most people move boards and move targets. unfortunately, its all trial and error

Grimthrow
02-09-2012, 02:33 AM
I find it interesting that WRW jr once said that he doesn't adjust for a ringing ten pin because he never hits the exact same spot in the pocket twice. I find that very hard to believe that he doesn't slow/speed up his ball or move a little bit. But that's what he said.

aussiedave
02-09-2012, 05:31 PM
I find it interesting that WRW jr once said that he doesn't adjust for a ringing ten pin because he never hits the exact same spot in the pocket twice. I find that very hard to believe that he doesn't slow/speed up his ball or move a little bit. But that's what he said.

I'm kinda old school myself, but will and do try adjustments if I can't get any results.
Over the last three weeks for example, on the first two weeks I was getting plenty of strikes. Then last night, only about half as many and the last game started the game with 6 nines, 5 of which were 10 pins, and one 4 pin. So you can immediately tell I am hitting the pocket. (Had one more 10 pin late in the game.) I was also having trouble in the first two game last night, and made a forward 12 inch step adjustment and still left those perishing 10 pins. I use a good condition, fairly new 15 pound Tropical Heat and get plenty of turn into the pocket (semi-roller, about 15-16 m.p.h.).
What puzzles me is that I didn't do anything different from the previous two weeks, although my teammate suggested the same thing I did that the oil pattern was obviously on the short side, which is beside the point if you hit the pocket - fair enough you can't expect a strike every time you hit the pocket, but out of 6 10 pins, one would reasonably expect at least 50%?
*sigh*
ad.

The Mayor
02-10-2012, 08:24 AM

This is true, it's something he's told me in person. Reason being, when you're bowling on PBA or sport conditions, it can be tough to even find a solid line to the pocket. If you've he's a good read of the lanes, but he's just no carrying, he'll stay put. House conditions are a different story. You can move to all parts of the lane and still get to the pocket.

striker12
02-10-2012, 05:51 PM
i have a problem with those 10 pins every time i hit that pocket perfectly the ten jsut wont fall and when i adjust it jsut seem to get worse i got people there that are really good at bowling and they cant even figure it out soo for awhile know we have been saying theres magnets on the ten pins lol

aussiedave
02-13-2012, 06:51 PM
i have a problem with those 10 pins every time i hit that pocket perfectly the ten jsut wont fall and when i adjust it jsut seem to get worse i got people there that are really good at bowling and they cant even figure it out soo for awhile know we have been saying theres magnets on the ten pins lol

It's all the more frustrating when you play a team of straight bowlers bowling about 2 m.p.h slower and using 2-3 pounds lighter balls getting plenty of strikes - many of them those ugly lucky ones - meanwhile you put another ball into the pocket and leave that ringer 10 - arghhhhh!
*sigh*
ad.

striker12
02-13-2012, 08:43 PM
ok i think i might know your problem we fixed my with alittle lift on the ball the ball is going in too sharp intothe pocket thats its not hitting the right spot wher it needs to soo it will make that strike and yes streght bowlers that throw it slow cna get lots of strikes cause if you think of it no speed no power its just motion that makes those pins fall can the ball wont bounce as much i kinda know i use to bowl streght my self when i first started i started with a 11lb ball way to light for me i was litterly fireing that ball down the lanes at close to 24-30mph and i was leaving lots of pins up cause too much motion on the ball and not corect entry watch some videos on youtube about people throwing there ball down and see how it move to the pins ( yes they throw different but just take a look at the ball motion) u will find out whats going wrong with your ball and wheres its snaping in early or late

archerbrad
02-27-2012, 05:29 PM
Well, this is what my coach taught me to do for that:
Stand in the middle of the marks. Use a plastic bowling ball, and hold your hand flat. Throw the ball keeping your arm slightly off to the right. It makes my ball drift towards the 10-pin and get it 80% of the time.

striker12
02-28-2012, 09:57 AM
yeah i have had it one week i could hit the right side spares but not the left the next week i cna hit the left side but not the right side its just funny and annoying at the same time lol.

but also jsut the past sunday i was bowling in my leuage and i could not hit a spare at all cause there was water mixed in with the oil soo my ball slid eather left or right never caught friction cause its would pull the oil down to the pins i had to bowl streght throwingthe ball at close to 30mph and i was barly getting strikes.

how i know ther was water on the lanes it was dripping off my ball when it came back

JerseyJim
02-29-2012, 02:47 PM
I won't adjust off a single ringing 10. If I'm getting a series of them, then I will make one of two adjustments. The first is with my fingers. My normal hand position has the pinky next to the palm, and my index finger spread away from my palm. I'll just move my index finger next to the palm. This will cause the ball to go into a roll a tad sooner and possibly face up to the pocket better. If that doesn't work, then I'll move 1 board to the left, and target 1 board to the left just to change the angle slightly.

aussiedave
02-29-2012, 05:44 PM
I won't adjust off a single ringing 10. If I'm getting a series of them, then I will make one of two adjustments. The first is with my fingers. My normal hand position has the pinky next to the palm, and my index finger spread away from my palm. I'll just move my index finger next to the palm. This will cause the ball to go into a roll a tad sooner and possibly face up to the pocket better. If that doesn't work, then I'll move 1 board to the left, and target 1 board to the left just to change the angle slightly.

Interesting Jim - will keep those in mind, thnx.
ad.

bowl1820
03-01-2012, 08:47 AM
Here's a Q&A from Walter Ray.

Paul,
I throw a 14lb ball and I seem to leave the ringing 10 pin quite often. Do you think bumping up my ball weight would help with knocking down that 10 pin.

Hi Paul,
I don't know if a heavier ball will help get a ringing 10 out or not. I use 15 pounds and I used to use 16. I think it depends on the bowling center. Also, the more you hit the pocket, the more 10 pins you will leave. So pick them up.

aussiedave
03-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Here's a Q&A from Walter Ray.

Paul,
I throw a 14lb ball and I seem to leave the ringing 10 pin quite often. Do you think bumping up my ball weight would help with knocking down that 10 pin.

Hi Paul,
I don't know if a heavier ball will help get a ringing 10 out or not. I use 15 pounds and I used to use 16. I think it depends on the bowling center. Also, the more you hit the pocket, the more 10 pins you will leave. So pick them up.

I don't mind tens, I have had them so often, I know exactly how to pick them up. It is frustrating to know you have missed out on a strike, but you aren't gonna get strikes every time anyway.
Bottom line is that you are hitting the pocket and there is not a whole lot of adjustment you can make and the chances are you won't hit that exact same spot again so the chances are you may get that strike.
ad.

billf
03-23-2012, 04:00 PM
Personally...I move five boards right and increase my speed about 3.5mph. Then even if I miss the pocket by a pinch the flying messengers everywhere should get it. Of course when I start getting about 25mph I have worse spares to pick up than a ten pin

striker12
03-23-2012, 10:10 PM
the way i found out how to hit my 10pins every time is when i go to do the spare shot i pull my pinky in right to my fingers and it helps me get the slid across the lane and beable to throw it right over the middle arrow and have a decent enoph speed that if i just adjust the speed alittle more i cna get the pin back up on the deck if i hit it on the right spot

aussiedave
03-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Personally...I move five boards right and increase my speed about 3.5mph. Then even if I miss the pocket by a pinch the flying messengers everywhere should get it. Of course when I start getting about 25mph I have worse spares to pick up than a ten pin

25 is quite impressive. I am only in the 13 - 14 m.p.h. range with a 15 pounder and would have to drop to about 10 pounds to get anywhere near 20. Most people don't have the ability to throw it much past 17 - 18 so consider yourself fortunate!
ad.

striker12
03-26-2012, 06:34 PM
aussie anyone can get the ball to that speed it just takes time to learn how to do it i roughly throw between 15mph-17mph but when i do my spares i throw it 20mph soo if i get lucky i can get the pin back up on the lane and get to 7 pin if i leave the 7-10 split,

also the fastest i have gotten my ball to go with sjut having fun is 23mph but i got more accuacy on my spares at 20mph soo it jsut depends on where your hands start and how high your back swing you want to put it too

EboniteKid299
03-31-2012, 09:07 PM
Lol, sometimes it just doesn't feel like you can do anything about it that's how I felt today no matter what ball change I made or line change or even lofting nothing helped couldn't do anything to help the cause it can be quite frustrating that's for sure.

billf
03-31-2012, 11:41 PM
Aussiedave, I have spent the past few years learning to slow my bhaveall down while keeping my timing correct. I may have the slowest cadence to the foul line in the history of bowling. I started bowling six years ago at age 37. I tried but couldn't get that dang 16 pound ball to go as fast as my age. Of course as I've learned to get revs it has slowed some but if I don't totally focus on a spare and let it fly, it goes humming down the lane. For 7-10 splits I try to throw it around 23mph with revs, but not much hook at that speed. The rotation causes the 7 pin to spin so when it hits the back wall in the right corner, it hits the side and comes back onto the deck. It's not easy but the best way for me to get that split. Some days I would rather shoot that than a cold 10 pin.
My speed doesn't have much to do with technique. I started powerlifting/bodybuilding at 12. I still weigh a solid 230lbs at 6' tall and am stronger that most people I know, even co-workers half my age (labor intensive job).

martin
04-03-2012, 12:52 AM
sometimes it's frustating when you leave 10 pins ( i had a game where i had 8-9 frames where i hit the pocket and the 10 pin just wouldn't go down), but i guess you don't have to make adjustments.. sometimes the strikes just come eventually in the next few frames or next game

Hampe
04-05-2012, 04:41 AM
I'm kinda of the same way as some of the other guys have posted. If you've got one ringing ten pin in between 4-5 throws that were strikes I wouldn't adjust too much. If you've got 5 or 6 in a row though, you're definitely going to want to adjust your starting position by a half a board (or an inch vertically).

billf
04-05-2012, 12:19 PM
I watch how my ball moves through the pocket and pins. Watching the pins deflect can get difficult but knowing what the f any, adjustment I makeball is doing to cause the pins to go as they are helps me decide which, I make. Sometimes I just think, screw it, and start hitting brooklyn.

resstealth
04-05-2012, 08:51 PM
If im leaving 10's, I try to get more headpin to drop it.

martin
04-06-2012, 10:45 PM
If im leaving 10's, I try to get more headpin to drop it.

isn't that a bit too risky? if you get too much of the headpin, it might just leave nasty splits instead of strikes..

v33dubfox
04-08-2012, 03:36 PM
When I leave 7's (I'm left handed), it is always, because I am a little too far of the head pin and too near of the 2nd pin. Usually, the 2nd pin hits the 4th and then the 7th. When you hit "too much" the 2nd, the "domino" move to hit the 7th isn't adequate so that it leaves there.

J Anderson
04-08-2012, 08:02 PM
isn't that a bit too risky? if you get too much of the headpin, it might just leave nasty splits instead of strikes..
Too light can leave the 5-10, 2-10, or the 2-8-10 for righties.
Without risk there is little reward. I'm sure that I'm quoting or misquoting someone but I can't remember who!

bowl1820
04-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Here's a diagram about leaving ten pins.

http://www.abc2bowling.info/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/leaving10pin2.jpg

"You are looking at the ball hitting the pocket. The ball could have struck the head pin slightly heavy (diagram A) or it could have struck the head pin slightly light (diagram B). Of course there’s always the question of the ball’s angle of entry to consider."

martin
04-09-2012, 11:30 PM
"You are looking at the ball hitting the pocket. The ball could have struck the head pin slightly heavy (diagram A) or it could have struck the head pin slightly light (diagram B). Of course there’s always the question of the ball’s angle of entry to consider."

that's pretty useful.. :D i usually get more of diagram A but i don't know why.. now i know i'm hitting the head pin slightly too heavy..

i do get diagram B once in a while but i tend to get strikes and not leave the 10-pin when i do that..