PDA

View Full Version : Have Track 607A SE, looking for a stronger ball

sdiddy
11-13-2011, 02:13 AM
Hello all,

I do not have specific specs of my style, but I estimate my normal speed is 19mph with avg-above avg revs. I originally bought the 607a SE for dry lanes. I bowled in a fun league last year after taking 6 years off from bowling after high school. (avg'd 198 on the year). Don't have my PAP measurements but at the time I had the ball drilled to give me a bit of extra length.

When the shot is right, the 607 is great. As it currently stands now, if there is any oil I have to lower my speed and move right quite a bit to get the ball to hook, roll and carry. on THS's I pretty much always end up throwing straight up 3-5 hitting the ball hard with revs but lowering the speed because the ball loves to skid in oil.

I am definitely looking for something that will turn early and has more backend, I would like to get back to my reg speed, I have problems keeping my release and approach consistent when lowering my speed so 2-3mph. I looked at the 919c but would prefer a pearl that I can put a bit of surface on and still get that strong backend reaction. Now im looking at a 700 series A ball, Rotogrip Bandit or maybe even the 811A SE that's coming in Dec if it's truly going to be much more agressive than the 607 SE. What do you guy suggest? let me know if you need more info. I apologize for my long winded post :(

Trex
11-14-2011, 12:11 PM
Continuous Control. Exactly what is needed on the toughest of heavy oil lane conditions. Have no fear, the Track 919C bowling ball is here. :)

The 811 says for "med-Heavy"

.....919C says for "Heavy"

HunterRunsIt
11-14-2011, 01:26 PM
:cool:Virtual Gravity Nano Pearl. nuff said

sdiddy
11-15-2011, 04:04 AM
@Trex, the 919c would be nice to have. I don't really see heavy heavy oil often, im looking for more of a snappy backend reaction from a pearl. I like what the 607 gives me, it just goes to long at the slightest sight of oil.

@Hunter - I have thrown the Nano solid, had a very weird controlled motion. Im assuming the pearl version gets through the fronts cleaner and turns at a sharper angle?

I am participating in an Ebonite demo day this weekend, I will get to try the latest and greatest from Track, Ebonite, Hammer and Columbia. Hopefully i'll be able to make a decision with some guidance at that time.

Trex
11-15-2011, 04:58 AM
@Trex, the 919c would be nice to have. I don't really see heavy heavy oil often, im looking for more of a snappy backend reaction from a pearl. I like what the 607 gives me, it just goes to long at the slightest sight of oil.

@Hunter - I have thrown the Nano solid, had a very weird controlled motion. Im assuming the pearl version gets through the fronts cleaner and turns at a sharper angle?

I am participating in an Ebonite demo day this weekend, I will get to try the latest and greatest from Track, Ebonite, Hammer and Columbia. Hopefully i'll be able to make a decision with some guidance at that time.

Keep us informed on how it goes, I would be interested to know which ball gives you the look that you are looking for.
Thanks . :)

The Mayor
11-15-2011, 08:11 AM
If you don't find something you like at the Demo Day, take a look at the Roto Grip Critical Theory. It's exactly what you mentioned, a pearl ball with surface. Still gets down the lane well with a very strong, angular backend motion. Great ball!

sdiddy
11-16-2011, 04:59 AM
I will definitely keep you guys updated. @ the Mayor, my new driller that im working with (Kurt Pilon), has recommended a few Roto products, specifically the Bandit/Outlaw Star after watching me bowl a game. I wonder if he thought the Critical Theory would be too much ball, will have to ask him later.

The Mayor
11-16-2011, 01:30 PM
Glad to hear you have a very good drilled. Kurt is a great bowler and knows what to look for as far as ball reaction is concerned. The Bandit/Outlaw are great, and I would trust whatever he tells you.

sdiddy
11-21-2011, 04:32 AM
Update: Participated in the Ebonite Demo Day today. had some of the most fun i've had bowling in years.

I had the opportunity to throw the following equipment:
Track - 811a SE, 919C, 716C
Hamer - Epidemic, Taboo Pearl
Columbia - Benchmark, Ransom Demand
Ebonite - Mission X, Elevate

Loved the 716C and the Mission X. The 716C made a very predictable move every time and provided solid carry. The Mission X was stronger than the 716C overall and started up earlier, more backend, very strong. I think im gong to go with the 716C and eventually the Mission X later.

The 811A goes very long and is very strong on the backend, it was a crowd favorite because of the oohs and ahhs it can provide. Im going to avoid the long and strong balls for now. I wasn't a big fan of the epidemic and Taboo Pearl. Hard to explain but was more of a fell type of thing.

The Columbia benchmark is a LOT of ball for a low price (lowest priced piece besides the 503c). The Ransom Demand was impressive, ran out of time before I could try the Encounter.

Overall it was a great fun experience and really gave me a fell for quite a few different balls. I'll talk with my pro shop operator and see what he thinks but I feel that the 716c would be a good step up from my 607 and the mission x could be my heavy oil ball. Still need to ask about that critical theory also.

I have bowled quite extensively over the last 3 days amongst other things so I apologize for my rambling above, I have been gong strong for 45+ hours now and will not proofread my thoughts before I pass out :)

HunterRunsIt
11-21-2011, 01:32 PM
I was looking at getting the epidemic what didn't you look about it?

sdiddy
11-21-2011, 07:03 PM
The epidemic got through the fronts fine and made a good strong move the pocket, I just couldn't get solid carry with it. Tried a few different lines, wasn't working. Only had a limited time with the ball, none of which were drilled for my pap. I definitely wouldn't delay your purchase based on my brief experience with it. I see quite a few epidemic's on the lanes in a few leagues in the area here.

sdiddy
11-26-2011, 05:42 AM
Update: I ended up buying the 716c, ($160 drilled w/grips slug, nice!). It definitely allows me to play heavier patterns and is now my first ball out of the bag. I definitely love this ball, it is very predictable and definitely has that (C)ontinuous motion that Track talks about. Finally got to practice on a fresh THS, I can miss right, th eball has enough juice to get back and still carry convincingly. I have opened up the lane considerably now and am thinking about just replacing my old, 400+ game 607a se with a 503c because i really love this motion that the C balls have.
My driller and I both agreed that I rarely see heavy oil and can skip the high end hook monsters like the Mission X, Critical Theory, Nano Pearl, etc. for now. I only run into med-med heavy THS' and random open bowling lanes when jackpotting so a 503c makes more sense. My 607a just doesn't get it done anymore.

sdiddy
12-27-2011, 05:04 AM
*updated Dec 27th*. After an extended time period with the 16c, I decided that it wasn't enough ball for some of the heavier shots. I went with Kurt Pilon, a more experienced driller, asked for his recommendation, we decided on a Roto Grip Outlaw, drilled with the pin under the fingers. This is probably one of the dullest balls I have ever seen OOB. Kurt nailed what I was looking for perfectly. On a fresh shot I can still throw with my above avg speed and not worry about the ball skidding too much in the oil.

Now that I have had time to throw both the 716c and the Outlaw, If I could do it all over again I would've went with the outlaw or the critical theory. I really like the outlaw, have a thrown few other roto pieces, they seem to fit my game well. I may end up selling the 716c eventually and will try to supplement the Outlaw with a pearl ball that will get me a bit more length for that 2nd or 3rd game depending on the shot.