PDA

View Full Version : Need one ball to do it all- any suggestions?

Couloirman
11-14-2011, 11:24 AM
I haven't bought a new ball in over 10 years. Last ball I had was an ebonite red wolf and I loved it but it was old and broke in half on the lanes (on my first date with my new girlfriend haha, bad omen eh?). Ive been looking around and like the looks of the Lane #1 boom-r'ang, brunswick nexus f(p) pearl, storm virtual gravity nano/VG nano pearl, etc... I throw at med-high ball speeds with medium revs and am just looking for a ball that is versatile enough to pass for my only ball in any lane conditions typically encountered at the local lanes, which could be anywhere from dry as a bone to heavy oil depending on when I go.

If you could only have one bowling ball, what would it be? Sorry if this question has already been asked, I searched but could not find a thread covering this.

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can provide.

HunterRunsIt
11-14-2011, 01:37 PM
The VG Nano/Pearl Might be to much ball on dry lanes, But if you can adjust well you should get that, The Hammer Raw Pain I have is good on most oil condition as well with spares.

Couloirman
11-14-2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks guys. Also, forgive my ignorance, but if I go storm I am having a hard time deciding between the VG nano and nano pearl. Is the regular nano going to hook more than the pearl? So if I want to be able to play a straighter/less angular shot the pearl is the way to go? Which of the two (pearl vs non-pearl) would be more versatile?

I am having a hard time finding a resource to explain to me the characteristics, advantages and disadvantages of a pearl ball vs non-pearl and if anyone could help me clarify I would be very, very appreciative.

The Mayor
11-15-2011, 08:22 AM
The Pearl is going to be more versatile in that if you encounter drier conditions, the original NANO will use all of its energy and burn up. You may be able to find a nice line to the pocket, but once it gets to the pins it won't have any force behind it. The Pearl will store up its energy better and give you a better chance on the dry. The original NANO is better on heavier oil, but most people don't see that too often.

Personally, I think there are better choices if you were only going to choose one ball. Storm Prodigy, Motiv Sigma Tour, Brunswick Loaded Revolver. All great all-around balls.

DanielMareina
11-15-2011, 10:52 AM
If I could only have one ball, I would have to debate between my Storm Hy-Road or the Storm Frantic! Both are versitile, carry through the pins great, and last tons of games with very little maintenence. I put over 500 games on my first Hyroad, 350 on my second, and I am around 100 on my frantic already.