PDA

View Full Version : The first PBA telecast of the 2008-2009 season

onefrombills
10-15-2008, 02:39 AM
The Chris Paul Celebrity Invitational presented by the brands of Ebonite International will air on ESPN this Sunday, Oct. 19th at 1 p.m. EST.
I had the privilege of being on hand for the monumental event, which was taped during the CP3 Charity Weekend in Winston-Salem, N.C. The participating PBA players included: Chris Barnes, Mitch Beasley, Jason Couch, Tommy Jones and Doug Kent.

Not only did the PBA players compete in the first ever celebrity tournament to be included in the PBA Tour schedule, but they also had the opportunity to participate in some of the CP3 weekend events. The players attended the Banker’s Ball - a black tie dinner event, a celebrity bowling tournament featuring NBA stars and other celebrities such as singer Brian McKnight, and also attended Chris Paul’s Youth Basketball Clinic. Immediately following the basketball clinic, Chris Barnes challenged Chris Paul for a game of one-on-one.

Can Barnes get even one shot off of Chris Paul? Check out the footage.
Along with all of the weekend events, I also had the opportunity to attend the Ludacris concert with opening acts Ray J and Hot Stylz. The concert kicked-off the CP3 weekend and was well received by the entire Winston-Salem community. Ludacris played several songs including his most popular hits. Although the concert was a lot of fun, the extremely loud bass left my ears ringing for a couple of days.
The Chris Paul Celebrity Invitational is a doubles event, pairing one NBA player with one PBA player to create a team. Each team was seeded based on pro-am scores of the NBA players during the celebrity bowling tournament. The stepladder televised finals features a single elimination one-game baker style format.

The teams for the Chris Paul Celebrity event are as follows: Chris Barnes and NBA Hornets star and Olympic gold medalist Chris Paul, Mitch Beasley and NBA Rookie of the Year Kevin Durant, Jason Couch and NBA Cavaliers star and Olympic gold medalist LeBron James, Tommy Jones and NBA Heat superstar guard and Olympic gold medalist D-Wade Dwyane Wade, and Doug Kent and NBA Grizzlies young star Rudy Gay.

I knew the Chris Paul Celebrity Invitational would be an interesting show as soon as the NBA stars and their entourage rolled up to the venue, complete with four Bentleys and two semi trucks bearing the CP3 logo. As the stars walked down the red carpet and made their way into the bowling center, fans went crazy trying to get photos and autographs. Then the fun began. Check out the photo gallery.
I had the opportunity to interview Chris Paul, LeBron James and Chris Barnes prior to the start of competition. Here are a few comments from the NBA stars.
“Chris Paul is a great friend of mine and it’s always good to come out for a good cause and have fun,” said LeBron James.

“This event allows people to see a different side of me, while also giving me the opportunity to show the world how big of a sport bowling really is,” Chris Paul said. “I think a lot of times people see bowling as just something fun that you can go do on Friday night. But bowling is a competitive sport and something that I'm very, very involved in, and I love it.”
Be sure to look for these interviews and more on Xtra Frame. For a preview of all of the action for the Chris Paul Celebrity Invitational.

As you watch Sunday’s telecast, keep an eye out for funny man, LeBron James. His jokes and antics throughout the show will keep you laughing and wanting more. Chris Paul is by far the best bowler out of the NBA players, but can he hold off his peers in the competition? LeBron James has two bowling lanes in his house. Did this help him prepare for the tournament? Stay tuned for the Chris Paul Celebrity Invitational presented by the brands of Ebonite International on ESPN this Sunday, Oct. 19 at 1 p.m. EST.