PDA

View Full Version : Newbie From Sutton, MA

sphughes
11-26-2011, 07:54 AM
Last week, while trying to come up with an another activity to enjoy with my soon to be 7 year old son, I suggested my wife and I take him bowling. Of course my 16 year old had no desire to join us so the 3 of us went and had a blast. In the past 20 years, I may have bowled 3 strings and in the last week, we have matched that.

My son is typical in that if he doesn't immediately do great, he melts down and stops having fun. What we were able to do was tell him that we are only trying to improve on how we did the last time and not beat each other. He got onboard and had a GREAT time. I really think that we will enjoy bowling for some time to come.

I lurked on the board for the last couple of weeks and picked up quite a bit of knowledge. I also realized I have a great deal to learn and that this forum is a great resource. In the past (and in the last week) I have always aimed the ball straight and fired it down the lane. Having watched the PBA back when it used to be on TV regularly and numerous youtube videos, I know that success comes when you learn how to throw the ball correctly.

I read numerous postings and ordered a Motiv ball last night for myself. I figure I will put in the time to learn correctly and enjoy myself in the process. I will continue bringing my son bowling and my wife and I will enjoy the activity together.

Thanks again
-Scott

StormGirl
11-28-2011, 06:23 PM
I'm glad you decided to join the boards as well as the sport. Hope everything goes well, and if you have any questions feel free to ask. By the way, which Motiv ball did you buy?

HunterRunsIt
11-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Welcome to the board! Glad that you made it in to a family activity thats always good! Good luck with you and your family's future bowling endeavours!

tumblebug1949
11-28-2011, 11:28 PM
Hi sphughes, I am new myself. Had not bowled for almost 40 years. It is great to find something you and the family can enjoy together. I hope the 16 year old joins you also but I had a couple of young-ins my self so I know the stresses of a growing family.

Good luck on your quest and I look forward to hearing how things are working out.

Tom

The Mayor
11-29-2011, 08:38 AM
Hi Scott,

Welcome to the site! I know from experience, once you get a kid hooked on bowling, there's no going back. It's really great and I hope he sticks with it! I'm pretty sure you've already got the bug and anything we can do to help, let us know!

-Dustin

bdpeters
11-29-2011, 08:48 AM
Hi Scott and welcome. Kids are great at re kindling interests. thats why I am here. good attitude on keeping him Interested. Maybe your 16 year old will see how much fun everyone is having. you can tell him/her that the alley is a great way to meet girls/boys.

Bri

sphughes
11-30-2011, 09:19 AM
I'm glad you decided to join the boards as well as the sport. Hope everything goes well, and if you have any questions feel free to ask. By the way, which Motiv ball did you buy?

Thanks all for the warm welcome.
I bought the Primal Impulse. It will be delivered tomorrow and I will get it drilled at a local center.

Is there a stupid question thread because I have one - Is a 'spare ball' an extra ball or a ball that is used to pick up spares?

- Scott

The Mayor
11-30-2011, 11:33 AM
Is there a stupid question thread because I have one - Is a 'spare ball' an extra ball or a ball that is used to pick up spares?

Haha, not a stupid question. It's a ball that you use to pick up spares. :)

tumblebug1949
12-02-2011, 12:21 AM
HaHa, sphughes I am sure you aren't the first one to ask that. I can't say I didn't give it some thought a while back. Right now, until I get my Storm Reign in, my spare ball is my first and only ball. I purchased it when I was in my 20's and now I am in my 60's. The balls used for spares seems to usually be the plastic ones because they tend to go straight. Good luck with the Primal Impulse.

Tom