PDA

View Full Version : MOTIV Primal Impulse

Superman
11-30-2011, 09:04 PM
MOTIV Primal Impulse Review

MOTIV’s newest release is the Primal Impulse with a brand new core design wrapped in a smooth but aggressive shell. This is the first skid/flip ball produced in the MOTIV line and it delivers! I drilled two of these bad boys up and have been impressed from the start. The first ball I drilled 35x55x4.75 placing the pin above my ring finger and kicking the cg right of the mid line with nearly 7/8 oz side weight. This ball when thrown on the Kegel Winding Road sport pattern was smooth through the midlane and aggressive off the break point. The first few shots the ball dove through the nose while trying to play 10 to 7. I moved left and played 17 to 8 and the ball crushed the pocket. The angularity off the break point was controlled due to the layout, but it didn’t limit the aggression the ball generates. As the lane started to transition, I simply chased the pattern left and found I had more area right. The one similarity between this layout and the other I’ll describe soon, is that there is little room for error left of target while bowling on this particular pattern and it holds true on house patterns as well.

The second Primal Impulse I drilled I used a 50x60x3.87 w/P2 hole. This layout placed the pin below my ring finger causing the ball to get into the roll sooner and ultimately making the move off the break point more aggressive. On the same Kegel pattern I mentioned earlier, I had to move 4 boards left playing 21 to 10 with this ball because of the aggressive nature of the layout. I still had miss area right as I mentioned before, but if I missed left the ball didn’t hold pocket well.

Overall my review of the new MOTIV Primal Impulse is Excellent! This has replaced my other equipment as the benchmark ball every time I lace up my shoes. This ball is everything you would come to expect from MOTIV with the smooth roll through the midlane while maintaining a strong drive through the pins off the break point. This is a must have for any MOTIV enthusiast or bowler…period!

Specifics:
Lane Condition for Review: Kegel Winding Road
Rev Rate: 320-340
Ball Speed: 15.8 - 16.1
Hand: Right
Lane Surface: Brunswick Pro Lane
Additional info: both balls tested were done at OOB surface

David Schroeder “Superman”
MOTIV Staff
Turbo Regional Staff
PBA Member:

HunterRunsIt
11-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Good Review! I've heard this ball is really good, But whenever I throw motives there always a little too agressive for me If I get one I might get it drilled so the ball is a little more timid.

sphughes
12-03-2011, 02:15 PM
I like mine alot. Rolled it yesterday the first time. It will probably take me a dozen strings to dial in the correct way to get the most out of it but I am seeing simple adjustments paying off already. Being that I'm new to the sport, I am by no means an expert. My $.02
-Scott

bowlers design pro shop
12-05-2011, 12:40 PM
If you have been waiting for a skid/flip ball from MOTIV, your wait is over. If you have thrown other companies skid/flip balls, this will top them all, by a lot. This ball is so good, hit pins like it's mad at them and keeps them low to the deck. It doesn't make a move to the pocket until it's ready to, around the 50 foot mark it will make a left turn, a hard left turn. Like all the MOTIV equipment it stores energy and then releases it through the pin deck.
I used a basic 4X4 stacked leverage lay out to see what this ball is capable of doing, and I found it to be very capable. I have used it on fresh house shots, fried house shots, and medium International Patterns, and this ball is not pattern specific. If you feel like using it, DO IT, it will not let you down. No matter where you lay it down, just float it to the friction and watch it go, and go hard it will.

David
PBA Member
Member Motiv Staff www.motivbowling.com
USBC Certified Coach
Bowlers Design Pro Shop