PDA

View Full Version : Which layout to use for an unknown roll?????????????

tumblebug1949
12-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Hi all,

I have a question for the ProShop people. I just hope I can ask it so you understand what I am actually asking.

I just started bowling after a 40 year break.

I am 62 years old but still rather athletic with a pretty good ball speed.

I have bowled one league tournament that lasted 12 weeks.

I presently use an ancient 16 lb. Crown Jewel.

With this ball, I have always rolled it straight.

I have a Storm, Reign 15 lb. ball that I will need to get drilled.

Storm lists 4 layouts depending on how aggressive you want the ball to be.

With the 16 lb. ball, I would guess I roll at med to high speed.

Is there an easy way to determine which layout would work best for me, not having ever used a ball that hooked before (or) is a specific category of layout the standard choice for someone in my situation?

Also, with this ball, a finger tip grip has been suggested. What are your thoughts.

I will be going to a ProShop in the next couple of days and am not trying to second guess the pro, but would like to have a reasonable understanding of what is normal.

Thank you for any assistance
Tom

JerseyJim
12-01-2011, 04:15 PM
If you hadn't cleaned your Crown Jewel, you can take it into the pro shop. Usually they're able to determine your Positive Axis Point (PAP) from the track on the ball. The PAP differs from bowler to bowler. I'm not sure whether the fact that you bowl with a conventional grip would make a big difference. With a discussion with a decent pro shop operator, he can determine what would possibly work for you.

This article will give you an idea of what they look for. ebonite.com/resources/bowling_tip_detail/the_positive_axis_point

tumblebug1949
12-02-2011, 12:48 AM
Thanks Jim,

The article was a big help in explaining the process and how the PAP is found. I have found it difficult to find Bowling ProShops. The computer wants to provide info on golf or even Bass pro shops. Very little found on bowling proshops. The couple I did find, don't provide much information. I am not use to going to a shop when I know absolutely nothing about the place. It looks like the closest pro shop to me is about 50 miles away.

JerseyJim
12-02-2011, 01:32 AM
If you check out any of the major bowling company websites, they have a section to search for pro shops in your state. Most are located in bowling alleys, however there are a few that are standalone shops.

tumblebug1949
12-02-2011, 02:05 AM
Thanks again Jim,

I had just noticed that and have been there looking at it. It also listed all the bowling centers in the area. My closest bowling lanes are 15 miles away and they are in very poor shape. Guess that is what I get for living in the sticks.:)

The Mayor
12-02-2011, 11:37 AM
bowlingball.com has a Pro Shop Locator which you can find here: http://www.bowlingball.com/find-a-pro-shop.php

10-in-the-pit
12-02-2011, 04:39 PM
Hi, I do not know how a ball is drilled for someone with a conventional grip. If you do go with a fingertip grip, my guess is that the pro shop will drill the ball with the pin up to make the ball go long and hook late. Do you bowl with other people that also bowl with a fingertip grip? They might have to give you some pointers.