PDA

View Full Version : looking for something new

trickysocialwkr
12-07-2011, 10:48 AM
So i'm thinking about looking for a replacement for my Twisted Fury Solid, since it's and older ball now and most likely past its prime.

I prefer playing the middle or outside of the lane (right handed), and tend to stray away from the wicked back-end reaction that you need to play deep inside. So I guess i'm looking for a more medium ball, at least I think.

Any suggestions at things I can research? I've been looking into the Brunswick Loaded Revolver and the Massive Damage, but I don't really know what kind of numbers i'm looking for in the stats of each ball or anything. Very uneducated on how to select a ball. Thanks for your help!

JerseyJim
12-07-2011, 11:15 AM
It's tough to suggest anything unless we know your stats, ie. Your PAP and ball speed at a bare minimum. Revolutions would be nice as well. What I like to do is to go through ball reaction videos, and try to find those bowlers with stats/styles similar to me. It gives me a decent idea of what I might expect from a particular ball. A good place to start would be Video Ball Reviews. http://www.videoballreviews.com.

trickysocialwkr
12-07-2011, 11:27 AM
oy. i won't lie, I haven't the slightest clue how to get those stats or what they would be. I'm assuming I can talk with my pro shop about figuring those things out, but I have no idea how to do that by myself. And how would I figure out ball speed? I suppose I could steal a radar gun from the local police department, though i'm guessing they would not appreciate this =)

JerseyJim
12-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Some bowling alleys have equipment that will track your ball speed. If you have a friend with a stopwatch, they can time your ball leaving your hand to the pins. I skimmed through that article a few months ago. I'll see if I can dig it up. As for your PAP, you can walk into your pro shop, and ask to have it measured.

v33dubfox
12-07-2011, 04:45 PM
The problem with ball reaction videos is that those video always show people with lots of RPM (350+ rpm) and medium to high speed ball. In my situation, I know that if I get the strongest ball drilled, I won't in any way get that ball reaction.

JerseyJim
12-07-2011, 04:55 PM
The problem with ball reaction videos is that those video always show people with lots of RPM (350+ rpm) and medium to high speed ball. In my situation, I know that if I get the strongest ball drilled, I won't in any way get that ball reaction.

That's why I said find a bowler with similar stats as you. Buddies Pro Shops put out some videos with bowlers who were strokers with low rev rates. They're out there, you just have to find them. This is the reaction video for Lanemasters balls with a low rev stroker http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIIVCX9fgpY&feature=player_embedded