PDA

View Full Version : Should i try this ball?

Roger95
12-08-2011, 02:53 PM
As of now my average is around 140 using house balls. Wanting to step up my game and maybe even join a league I wanna learn the hook. Met a guy at the lanes who had a nice arsenal. Anyway offered me a new ball that has never been drilled. Real short money so I bought it. Well after a little research it turns out this may be too much ball for me. It is a Brunswick Evil Siege. So two questions ...

First off can I learn with a ball like this?

Second if a should drill it and try it what drill pattern should I go with?

Not having any hook experience I'm not sure how I want the ball to react. Thanks for the help.

JerseyJim
12-08-2011, 05:31 PM
As of now my average is around 140 using house balls. Wanting to step up my game and maybe even join a league I wanna learn the hook. Met a guy at the lanes who had a nice arsenal. Anyway offered me a new ball that has never been drilled. Real short money so I bought it. Well after a little research it turns out this may be too much ball for me. It is a Brunswick Evil Siege. So two questions ...

First off can I learn with a ball like this?

Second if a should drill it and try it what drill pattern should I go with?

Not having any hook experience I'm not sure how I want the ball to react. Thanks for the help.

The Evil Siege is a strong asymmetric pearl. It might not be a good ball to learn with. By starting to learn how to hook with this ball, you might stunt your growth as a bowler. You'd be better off starting with one of the entry level balls and taking a lesson or two.

BallBuster
12-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Jim is absolutely right. Using such an aggressive ball may be a detriment to you in a sense that the ball will be hooking for you plenty whether you are making it do it or not. The advice to start with an entry level ball is good because with lessons or not you will learn to make the ball hook on your own. And once that is accomplished then you can start exploring bigger hooking balls that give you more shot options, and different angles of entry into the pocket. Hope this helps.

KEEP ON ROLLIN'

Roger95
12-08-2011, 09:17 PM
Thanks. I guess I'll try to sell this ball and find an entry level ball.

littlelegs
12-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Or...if you got it cheap and can find the cash for an entry level ball (the slingshot for example is pretty inexpensive) hang on to it for when you do progress. With a little practice and dedication that may not take too long....

Roger95
12-09-2011, 02:33 PM
Or...if you got it cheap and can find the cash for an entry level ball (the slingshot for example is pretty inexpensive) hang on to it for when you do progress. With a little practice and dedication that may not take too long....

Ya I was thinking of that. I only paid $50 for it. Glad you mentioned the slingshot cause that's what I was looking at next. Thanks for the help.

got_a_300
12-12-2011, 01:13 AM
I would have to agree with littlelegs on the Slingshot that is pretty much an all around good ball that works
on dryer lanes and also on light to medium oil. Another ball you might want to consider is the Ebonite Cyclone
it is pretty much in the same class as the Slingshot but has just a little more hooking power.

billf
03-27-2012, 01:45 PM
If money is a major issue you may want to ask the pro shop if they would be willing to trade. I have a friend that has done that before with balls he has won, etc.