PDA

View Full Version : No Hook

LBL
12-08-2011, 08:56 PM
been bowling since aug and i can throw a straight ball so far its been okay. do i have to throw a hook to be a good bowler? I have a mid-level ball with a good core that smashes through the pins.

littlelegs
12-09-2011, 02:46 PM
I'd say it depends on your definition of 'good'.

Especially on league lanes, a good consistent hook will usually allow for a larger margin of error. Not so true when you move onto the sport patterns. Even there though a hook will usually improve the path through the pins ensuring more strikes (I bet somebody has a link bookmarked somewhere to show the various paths and deflections with and without hook).

You can get a fairly respectable average with a straight ball, out scoring many hook bowlers if you have the accuracy. If you can hook though it'll give you the opportunity to get just that little bit higher...if you get it right.

But then again, unless you're planning on entering scratch tournaments I'm all for bowling in whatever style you enjoy. I think too many recreational bowlers stop enjoying the game so much because they feel the need to look like and score like their favorite PBA star and for most it's never gonna happen.

got_a_300
12-12-2011, 12:56 AM
The best advice I can give you is to do what feels most comfortable to you and easiest for you to do
and gets you the highest scores so if that means staying with a straight ball then so be it. I'd have to
say take a look at say Walter Ray Williams he doesn't throw a big hook all the time and another one of
the greats Earl Anthony didn't throw a great big hook ball he was more of a stroker style of bowler with
a down and in straighter style with very little hook.

I know a few bowlers here at out center that do not throw any kind of hook ball some of them are straight
down the middle boards bowlers and a few others just shoot off of the corner straight at the head pin and
several of them hold well over 200 averages so I guess to answer your original question the answer would
have to be NO you do not have to throw a big hook ball to be a good bowler.

bdpeters
12-16-2011, 08:55 AM
LBL. i agree with all the comments here in this post. bowl how you feel comfortable and work on your accuracy but don't be afraid to change it up a bit and practice that hook. you may find that with a bit of practice you can throw a good hook. years and years ago I started working on my hook shot and it started to become easier but then I dropped out of the sport. now I would like to work on it again. I have found it a big help to watch some of the videos that are posted and to read all the posts here. i wissh you the very best.

Bri

billf
03-27-2012, 01:40 PM
Despite all the flash and hype all that matters at the end of the game is the score. The biggest thing needed to score high is accuracy. Strike percentage is usually higher for a hook due to the ability to create more carry (flying pins our your friend). Entry angle is key but there is nothing saying how you have to get that angle.
Also, most of the better bowlers in my area throw with a lot less hook than I do and they consistently out perform me.

MICHAEL
05-08-2012, 11:48 PM
In fact in my City its illegal to be a Hooker,,,, Maybe your town too.... So streight might not be a bad way to go!! (:) (Had to type it)!

JaMau24
05-09-2012, 12:56 AM
In fact in my City its illegal to be a Hooker,,,, Maybe your town too.... So streight might not be a bad way to go!! (:) (Had to type it)!

Hahaha.. You're on fire tonight Mike.. Cracking me up :D

martinezsam2495
06-05-2012, 12:25 AM

hahaha nice one Mike! But I think in Sin City, you'd have to think twice about that one, haha

kev3inp
06-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Well, there's a little saying we have: "It ain't how, it's how many."

TheSheibs
06-12-2012, 12:34 AM
Well, there's a little saying we have: "It ain't how, it's how many."

That's a great saying.

I say bowl how you are the most comfortable. If that works for you and you are consistent, then do it the way you have been. All that matters is that you are consistently hitting the pocket and knocking down pins. If you are knocking them down, I would just work on being consistent and developing a nice rhythm for your style.

Hampe
06-19-2012, 08:21 AM
No, like the other guys said, you don't have to hook to be good. You will have a higher scoring potential once you get the hang of it, but you can still be a dominant recreational league bowler by bowling straight.

mdlee3
08-16-2012, 01:06 PM
I won the scratch division of our city tournament back in 2005 throwing a straight ball. I've started throwing a hook since then and have not even come close, only finishing in the money one time in singles since then. A hook will give you better potential, but doesn't necessarily make you a better bowler.