PDA

View Full Version : hi new from mcminnville tn new bowler

angel
12-12-2011, 01:24 AM
hello all am trying to learn how to bowl,at first i though it was going to be easy,i got fool.lot harder thin i though.

tumblebug1949
12-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Hi angel,

Welcome to the Boards. You are right in that "it sure looks easier than it is". I guess that is what makes it challenging. It reminds me of another game I play which is golf. I tend to focus on games where I am actually only playing against myself. I play to get the best score I can whether I have an opponent or not.

If you are just starting out I would recommend getting a lesson or two. They may be a big benefit in the long run.

Good Bowling
Tom

littlelegs
12-12-2011, 01:36 PM
Hi Angel and welcome.

Totally with you Tom on the golf thing and preferring to 'beat myself' rather than others. I tend to enter tournaments when I can, but always seem to care far more about my score than actual finishing position (although the prize money is always nice to get :p). I also tend to get upset with Brooklyn strikes as it's a bad ball no matter what happened with the pins. :)

As for looking easier, you gotta remember that especially with a straight ball, missing by just an inch at the front arrows can mean a much bigger miss down the other end. 60ft is a long way when you're dealing in inches or even fractions of. There does seem to be a strange misconception with people that don't play much that it's somehow easy.

That said it may seem a little tough to start but you'll soon improve and it's uber fun :)

bdpeters
12-16-2011, 08:45 AM
I know what you mean Angel. I am not new to bowling but it has been a long time since I used to bowl alot. its one thing to just get out and bowl, anyone can do that but if you want to improve your game a bunch then it is harder than it looks. this time around i decided that I would get more involved with learning all that i could. one example of that is that i knew that the centers oiled the lanes but had no idea that this plays a part in how well you bowl and I had no clue that there were different oil patterns. I had some idea that form and stance were important but now i am learning that this is a cornerstone of consistently bowling well. anyway I hoope you enjoy the journey and look forward to hearing more from you.

Bri

littlelegs
12-16-2011, 09:09 AM
It's amazing how much you didn't know when you start actually looking into it properly isn't it Bri?

I've had to correct soooo much on my return to bowling and it's taken time but I think has been worth it. I'm not someone who can be happy unless I'm doing the best that I can and was a long way off being that. All the little things really do have a big impact - more so than I ever realized in my younger days.

That said I think it also depends on your goals. Many people are genuinely happy bowling a consistent game every week and sitting in the mid-100's and bowl almost purely for fun and that works too.