PDA

View Full Version : Failed Marketing Ploys

littlelegs
12-19-2011, 09:22 AM
I came across perhaps the single most ridiculous piece of failed marketing this weekend at the local bowling alley in Augusta ME...

We've been bowling there for around 18 months and they have a reward card scheme. Considering how poor the 'perks' are for league bowlers it's a welcome addition. However, I was told this weekend that I cannot add purchases for my wife (in this case lineage in the recent tournament) to my card, despite me being the one paying for it.

It seems a small thing but it really annoyed as it's such s stupid, petty rule. They also allow food in the restaurant to be added to the card so do I now have to ask to be billed for half a pizza as my wife will be eating the other half and I want my points?

Considering this is the only perk league bowlers get other than a small discount on practice games you'd thing a little flexibility and common sense would be a good idea? That and it's the only rewards points scheme I've ever come across with that particular restriction and there are many of them these days.

As I say it probably annoyed me more than it should have but I hate pettiness and this IMHO is very petty.

/end of rant

tumblebug1949
12-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Morning little legs,

I definitely see your point. According to their policy, if you buy a Christmas present from them for someone else, you would not get the points because you are not the user. I know that especially in todays economic situation there is a fine line for businesses to be at to stay in business, but they really need to think things through that effect their patrons.

Good Bowling

littlelegs
12-19-2011, 11:37 AM
It's not just that it's 'fuzzy' though I've never known any other business to do that with a points system. My wife can (and probably will) get her own card but it seems a little futile. If anything it simply creates more work and cost for them with 2 cards in use.

Oh well. I just wanted to vent really as I hate pointless pettiness and it seems to be just that. I know their marketing director so may just email him as pose the pizza question and see what the response is :)

StormGirl
12-22-2011, 10:36 AM
you should seriously ask them about half the pan of pizza. tjats does sound ridiculous and i understand your frustration. ask them for a half pitcher of beer too lol