PDA

View Full Version : A Quandry...

littlelegs
12-23-2011, 11:25 AM
I have a very casual friend turning 40 today and I (foolishly?) volunteered to help his wife get him out of the house for an hour at supper time. She's setting up a surprise party for him. So...the question is what to do to distract him for an hour? He's not the sort of guy I'd casually invite for coffee, beer (he doesn't really drink beer - odd but true) etc etc so other than duct taping him and shoving him in the trunk for an hour suggestions are welcome.

tumblebug1949
12-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Hey little legs,

Been there. The only thing I can think of is, do you have a small chore that you could use some help with. Maybe moving something. Just getting a second opinion on something around the house or at a store might be something to think about.

Tell him you need a kidney transplant and you want him to take a test or two. No, maybe not

Good luck with your mission. If you do your best, that is all you can do.

Tom

littlelegs
12-23-2011, 11:52 AM
I've got something heavy to move but she needs him away for an hour :( The duct tape is looking more appealing as the day progresses.

J Anderson
12-23-2011, 02:41 PM
Just make sure you don't accidentally drive into NH. Then the FBI gets involved.
Seriously, the moving heavy object could work. You just need to be very disorganized and maybe enlist another family member to say, "No, that's not where its supposed to go." after you move it. And if its still not long enough they can help with the duct tape.

littlelegs
12-23-2011, 02:52 PM
I think I'm going to have to be semi-truthful. I'll pick him up under the ruse of moving furniture (if we did move it it'd only need moving back again) then tell him I've gotta come clean in that his wife wanted him out of the house to cook him a 'special meal', although I don't know what it is and she didn't want him to see it being cooked.

Hopefully it shouldn't ruin the surprise party although will have him expecting something.

Just about everyone else I know there's the local bar or a myriad other things to kill an hour doing. Not so much with this guy :/ Killing an hour without making it clear we need to be gone an hour is simply too tough in this case.

tumblebug1949
12-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Oh what a tangled web they weave when it is their plan to just deceive.

That may not be right but it is close.

Good Luck anyway

littlelegs
12-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Aha - I worked it out. Oddly enough taking him to see a tree before moving the furniture that didn't really need moving helped. My in-laws have a tree that just fell...he has a wood stove...so went to their house to show him where they lived for later tree gathering :)

Next time I think I'll pass on volunteering to do the distracting :p

Eek - just corrected some typos that made me look even less educated than normal :p

tumblebug1949
12-24-2011, 11:40 AM
I don't blame you littlelegs, you should take refreshments next time. ;) Ha

It is amazing how many times second thoughts should have been thought first:roll eyes:

Happy Holidays