PDA

View Full Version : Just switched to two-handed throw

frankteo
12-24-2011, 10:17 PM
I was always a right handed bowler all my life. I played frequently as a kid but never got good enough to make anything of it. I picked it up again in high school as we played in p.e. class. Then had a period of about 4 years where I didn't play at all. Now for the past month me and my friends have been playing regularly every monday. I finally broke down and bought a ball and have been playing a few times a week. I'm new to throwing a hook. I have the form down right, but can't seem to get the hook I'm looking for because I'm not strong enough. Earlier this week I injured my hand after playing 9 straight games. Too much stress on my hand. Today I decided to throw lefty because I could not use my right hand properly. This isn't the first time I had to throw lefty in my life due to an injury. Was barley breaking 100. Then I decided to try the two handed throw just for the hell of it. Got the biggest hook I ever threw and was extremely accurate. I felt like I really could control the ball easily. So I think I may be a two handed bowler from now on. Monday I'll try it out again and see what kind of scores I can produce.

J Anderson
12-24-2011, 10:36 PM
Good luck. When I watch guys like Belmonte and Palermo, all I can think is that if I ever tried it I'd hurt myself. I think the main problem that you will face is that very few people know how to coach a two-hander. When you hit a plateau in your skill level, or worse a slump, you'll be on your own in figuring things out,

frankteo
12-24-2011, 10:43 PM
You know it felt really comftorable throwing with two hands. But I only played one game so I can't really say too much. I'm not really looking to become extremely good in bowling. I just wanna be able to put up some higher numbers from time to time. Golf is my main sport and bowling is just something I do for fun. Wouldn't mind playing in some leagues one day though.

tumblebug1949
12-24-2011, 11:15 PM
Hi again frankteo,

I don't know much about two handed bowling but I may give it a try for fun one of these days. I have read a little on it and am sure it takes a lot more flexibility than I have right now. I had read on your earlier post that you are 22. Those were the days. I am 62 but still somewhat limber. I golf twice a week in the summer and when there is any kind of decent weather at all. Played a round on New Years Eve last year.

Anyway, I decided to start bowling to give me an activity for the snowy months. I started right in with a senior league where some of my golfing buddies were at. I was just a smidgen rusty after a forty break from bowling but it still worked out fine. We play with a handicap so as long as I could be halfway consistent with my score my team did fine. There are different leagues any my senior league is a little bit competitive and a lot of just fun bowling. As I improve, I may add a more serious league also. I would suggest finding a league in your area if you can. It gets you active with other bowlers and is a good source for information and learning.

Good Luck and
Happy Holidays

littlelegs
12-24-2011, 11:55 PM
I like bowling no thumb but...I tend to bowl a little differently when I try it. This causes a little extra strain on my knees and hip which as they've decided to start wearing out causes pain. It also puts a little more strain on my fingers. So unfortunately not an option for me even if I do enjoy it. Even so I sometimes throw the odd 12th frame ball that way just for the hell of it.

frankteo
12-26-2011, 10:04 PM
Played a few games tonight and had a 195 followed by a 175. It's definitely working for me. I'm pretty satisfied with the results and will keep this technique going.

littlelegs
12-26-2011, 11:21 PM
Glad it's working out for you so far. Consistency can be the biggest issue when you lose the digits to guide the ball, but then as Jason Belmonte demonstrates that can be overcome with practice. It'll be interesting to see how it works for you longer term.

How does the hook work out with your current ball? Are you finding you have to switch to something a little less aggressive or is the ball you were using coping OK?

frankteo
12-27-2011, 09:00 PM
I'm using the Arson by Hammer. I can get a lot of hook out of depending on the lane type. At Brunswick Zone I was able to ride it along the gutter and bring it back. Last night I was at a cheaper alley and could still hook it with ease, but not with that aggressive of a line as Brunswick.

littlelegs
12-27-2011, 09:54 PM
I'd not seen the Arson in action before until you mentioned it. Just went and checked out a video of it. Interesting ball. Seems to get good length and a good angle into the pocket.

bdpeters
12-28-2011, 04:15 PM
WTG Frankteo. I am looking forward to seeing how it goes for the long run. it is nice to know that there are folks who can make these kind of shots work. I am a lefty but I notice that I have more issues with Arthritis (go figure, i am 42) in my left hand and I am thinking of trying to bowl with my right. It is nice to lmow that there are alternatives.

Bri

littlelegs
12-28-2011, 09:20 PM
Just found out that we're getting a demo day next month and the Arson is included in the balls to try out (as well as the new perl Taboo amongst others). I'll be interested to see how it reacts for me compared to their other stuff. Of course demos days aren't perfect as PAP etc is rarely allowed for but they seem to give a good general idea of a ball before purchase.

HunterRunsIt
12-28-2011, 10:12 PM
It's always better to go with the technique thats works the best for you and has that has the least strain on your body.

frankteo
01-02-2012, 05:07 PM
^Exactly.

Played last Thursday and had 151+149+158=458 which led to a 152 average for the night. I seem to be getting more and more consistent now which is good. We'll see how taking a few days off affects me tonight. Still looking for that 200 game.

K3ntFIN
01-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Hi,
Two-handed bowling is something that has been studied by biomechanics people at the Sports University here in Finland. I can tell you a few things about it:
1. It produces the most revs of any bowling technique.
2. It can be extremely effective when done right.
3. The best technique ever for heavily oiled lanes.

The bad news:
1. It can cause serious strain injury if done incorrectly.
2. The whole approach is done by muscle power, nothing relaxed about it.
3. Requires extremely good core muscle strength and flexibility.

I'll post some pictures later with more explanations, I really need to get to sleep now. :)