PDA

View Full Version : ROTO GRIP - DEFIANT Review

John Brodersen
01-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Ball specs – 15 lbs 2 oz, 2.86top weight, and 3 1/4-inch pin.

Using the dual angle method, the Defiant was drilled with a 4 1/4 inch pin distance, 75 degree drill angle and a 40 degree VAL angle. Using Strom’s drilling methodology the layout is 4 1/4 X 6 X 2 1/2 pin buffer. An X-hole was not needed. The surface was initially left OOB.

With a new cover stock formula (MicroBite), new core (Paragon), and OOB surface at 3000, the Defiant is Roto Grip’s most aggressive ball to date. If you have some hand or slower ball speed the Defiant will definitely need some oil in terms of length, volume or both. I initially threw the Defiant with the cover left at OOB and found it to read early on a 41 foot, 24 micro-liter house pattern. Even reading early the Defiant never stopped on the backend. I was very impressed with the tremendous hit and carry. I then hit the cover with Storm’s Reacta-Shine for the next outing. The cover seems very tunable and took the polish very well. (a polished Defiant looks great and would have great shelf appeal) The ball motion was very different on the same pattern. The Defiant became clean through the heads and had a much stronger move down lane. Hit and carry was again very impressive.

The Defiant is a very strong ball that has more overall hook than the Theory. The OOB cover will benefit speed dominate or low rev players or play well on oilier conditions. Don’t be afraid to add some polish for more length and a stronger backend move.

John Brodersen
RG amateur staff