PDA

View Full Version : sharing

fix_2_0
01-19-2012, 05:54 AM
I share my bowling ball in league play and have noticed i am loosing hook my my hammer--- is this a good idea?

fix_2_0
01-19-2012, 05:56 AM
Is it against league play to bolw with your left hand if your right handed? meaning both during play?

fix_2_0
01-19-2012, 05:57 AM
Is it smart to let your ball sit in dawn to reduce the oil on yoour ball?

JerseyJim
01-19-2012, 02:25 PM
I share my bowling ball in league play and have noticed i am loosing hook my my hammer--- is this a good idea?

No...there are a number of reasons why. If the other bowler has a similar track, you would accelerate the tracking out of a ball. You're increasing the amount of oil being absorbed by the coverstock at an accelerated pace. Another reason why you might be losing reaction is that you're seeing a lot more friction. The ball will use up most of its energy by time it hits the break point. Is it a solid or pearl?

Is it against league play to bolw with your left hand if your right handed? meaning both during play?

If it's a sanctioned handicapped league, yes. A team lost a game where a guy picked up a split using his left hand, his average was established using his right hand. The rules for a scratch league might be different. I rarely read those.

Is it smart to let your ball sit in dawn to reduce the oil on yoour ball?
There are a few posts that detail how to clean your bowling ball with a warm water bath with a teaspoon of Dawn. I usually opt for religiously cleaning my ball after league with a decent ball cleaner. Valentino's Remedy RX is a decent cleaner.

Stormed1
01-24-2012, 02:16 PM
In any sanctioned league play it is against USBC rules to switch hands during play. Itis allowable in PBA play howeber. You can bowl different leagues with different hands however you cannot switch. The exception to this is injury in which case you have to establish an average with the opposite hand and when you have recovered from your injury you return to your established average for that hand.

As for sharing your ball the biggest thing is it will wear a track and absorb oil at a faster pace than by you alone throwing it. Therefore it will require maintenance (oil extraction, resurfacing) more often than throwing it by yourself

Drano
01-24-2012, 04:31 PM
The only thing about sharing the ball, is that it'll put on more games/oil than had you been using it by your lonesome and die faster, obviously. Especially since its an ebonite ball :P
Bowling wise, it won't affect anything.

Switching hands is indeed illegal in league play, but not in PBA play for whatever reason.

As for the bath, I don't agree with it. Think about it, the bowling ball is a sponge, it soaks up all that oil. Drop it in a tub of water... why wouldn't the ball NOT soak up some water? Water is less dense than oil, it shouldn't have any problem getting into the ball. The only real way of doing it is to take it to the oven, which I don't really agree with either. But if you insist on doing it, you can either have the pro shop put it in their oven which uses controlled temperatures and automatically rotates the ball and wipes off the oil as it goes, or put it in your own oven at the lowest possible temperature, and take it out every 5-10 minutes and wipe the oil off the surface with some ball cleaner.