PDA

View Full Version : Yes, I'm bowling again

kev3inp
01-22-2012, 01:27 PM
Last Tuesday, 5 weeks and a day since my total hip replacement surgery, I started bowling again. I was quite tentative, expecting it to hurt like it did before the surgery. I'd catch myself taking a little baby first step, instead of a normal step, in anticipation of pain that didn't come.

I did pretty well, considering the time off, in the first game, no opens until the 10th, dammit, but after that I started to run out of steam. I just brought one ball and my spare ball, and I should have brought them all. I didn't have a ball to shell down to and when I needed to speed up to hold my line I just couldn't do it.

I've been going to my therapy like a good little patient and getting my strength back little by little. I do wish I would have had the surgery a long time before I did. The pain I get now is just muscle pain, nothing like the stabbing pains I'd get before. Sitting out and watching the team was driving me crazy, and I've worked hard to come back. Next week will be better, and now I have a better idea of what to expect.

JerseyJim
01-22-2012, 02:15 PM
That's great to hear Kev. My ex-teammate went through the same operation. He's come back better than ever, his approach has really smoothed out because of the lack of pain.

got_a_300
01-22-2012, 07:02 PM
Glad to hear you're back up and bowling again Kev
and just take it easy for a while and don't hurt any
thing. :D

I just wish I could get rid of my back and knee pains
so my approach would be like it was back in the 80's
and in the 90's really smooth when I could get down
low on the approach and really be able to crank up on
the ball. :(

Now since I've come back to bowling again myself after
a 12 year hiatus I can not bend down and get that low
on the approach anymore so I guess I'm more or less a
power tweener now with more loft on the ball since I'm
having to stand more upright now days.

bdpeters
01-23-2012, 08:43 AM
WTG Kev. It is nice to hear about someone with this experience. I have a few issues with my hips and back and it is great to know you were able to get back out.

Bri

The Mayor
01-23-2012, 11:24 AM
Awesome to hear Kevin! That seems like an unbelievably quick amount of time to be back bowling, so that's great. Your hard work at therapy has paid off. In just a little while, you'll be better than ever.

aussiedave
01-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Last Tuesday, 5 weeks and a day since my total hip replacement surgery, I started bowling again. I was quite tentative, expecting it to hurt like it did before the surgery. I'd catch myself taking a little baby first step, instead of a normal step, in anticipation of pain that didn't come.

I did pretty well, considering the time off, in the first game, no opens until the 10th, dammit, but after that I started to run out of steam. I just brought one ball and my spare ball, and I should have brought them all. I didn't have a ball to shell down to and when I needed to speed up to hold my line I just couldn't do it.

I've been going to my therapy like a good little patient and getting my strength back little by little. I do wish I would have had the surgery a long time before I did. The pain I get now is just muscle pain, nothing like the stabbing pains I'd get before. Sitting out and watching the team was driving me crazy, and I've worked hard to come back. Next week will be better, and now I have a better idea of what to expect.

Didn't know about the surgery Kev - glad it went well for you and that you're back on deck. Keep up the therapy mate - it works, my brother will testify to that.

Stormed1
01-24-2012, 01:20 PM
Didn't know about the surgery so it's great to have you back. It's also to know the surgery worked welr you as i will probably need to have both mine replaced in a few more years

johncongdon
01-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Kev2inp,

Glad to hear everything is going so well. It gives other bowlers hope that their potential hip replacements will not keep them out of the sport.

kev3inp
01-24-2012, 05:42 PM
Thank you, everyone. I should have done this much, much sooner, rather than trying to tough it out. Therapy was, and is tough, but not nearly so much as I feared. If you need a hip replaced, do it. You won't be sorry. Initially it is a big inconvenience, but it's so worth it. Today they had me going up stairs two at a time and I could do it! No more cane for me, either. I was out longer when they put in my ICD than from the hip. Bowling tonight. I'm ready.