PDA

View Full Version : heavy,heavy oil pattern

tracy
01-24-2012, 03:21 PM
i purchased a heavy oil ball (out of box 1500 abralon) but it doesn't hook as expected. i bowl the first shift in the morning and then another league bowls right after us so i know they must be using a lot of oil. should i sand the ball with 1000 abralon or less to handle the oil or what do you suggest? i also moved right to compensate for the oil but nothing helped.

Drano
01-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Sure, taking the ball to a lower grit will help it grab.. But if you purchased a heavy oil ball and can't get it to hook, you'll likely need to change something physically. Try throwing the ball a little slower, or getting a few more revolutions on the ball, if you know how to do that. If you don't know how to do that, it'll be good practice.

JerseyJim
01-24-2012, 05:20 PM
i purchased a heavy oil ball (out of box 1500 abralon) but it doesn't hook as expected. i bowl the first shift in the morning and then another league bowls right after us so i know they must be using a lot of oil. should i sand the ball with 1000 abralon or less to handle the oil or what do you suggest? i also moved right to compensate for the oil but nothing helped.

How long is the oil pattern? Generally speaking the longer the pattern, the closer the break point is to the head pin. This article from Joe Slowinski will help explain it. http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/stories/slowinski_btm_june_2007_36-41_3point_targeting.pdf

The problem could also be that you're catching too much dry lane with an aggressive ball. Your ball might be using up too much energy and by time it hits the break point it won't hook as much as you expect. I find that is the problem with a couple of aggressive balls that I do use. Once I move in and catch more of the oil, the balls will hook a lot more at the end.

T-road2011
01-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Yes, I also tried same situation, heavy oil, what i did is I minimize bowling speed and the hook goes well.

madapples
01-26-2012, 10:38 AM
I bowl on a long heavy heavy THS..

You have a few choices. You can change the surface to 360 w/ light 1000 or throw a less aggressive coverstock.

I bought a Nano for my heavy pattern thinking it would help but is now on the bench in favor of a Morich Aggressive Motion and Track 607SE which are less aggressive balls but they still read the pattern(hook) as well as the nano just more forgiving.