PDA

View Full Version : beginner learn how to use finger tip grip

Mi5hka
01-30-2012, 07:12 PM
so im basically a beginner and im using a evil siege bowling ball as my first bowling ball would it be a good idea to start bowling using finger tip grip style or conventional.

J Anderson
01-31-2012, 08:36 AM
I would vote for finger tip. If your intent is to bowl as well as you possibly can, this is the grip you will wind up with. You might as well start with it.

The Mayor
01-31-2012, 10:00 AM
I second what J said. There's no reason to learn two different grips. You might as well learn with what you'll eventually end up with.

Linsolv
01-31-2012, 01:23 PM
I just got my first ball drilled, got it fingertip on the suggestion of the guy at the pro shop, and the guy at the other pro shop, and so on ad nauseum. Suffice to say I asked around for advice.

It's not as scary as you'd think. Feels really natural, at least to me. Go for fingertip: it's not hard to hold the ball, but [I'm told] you get more hook and more control.

Mi5hka
02-01-2012, 04:56 PM
hey guys just got my cyclone today and got fitted for finger tips should be picking it up tmr!!! pretty excited been having a hard time learning on the evil siege. so that in mind anyone know any good video education on how to hook a ball ? ive tried youtube but none have really described it enough for me! my coach is going to tech me next week but i wanted to start teaching myself untill than...

Corvault
02-08-2012, 12:17 AM
Hope you're enjoying the fingertip grip! You definitely made the right decision there. The reason (or at least this is what I've been told and what makes sense to me) that the ball hooks with a fingertip much more so than a conventional grip is because it will let the ball sit flat in your palm, making full contact with your hand. With a bit of lift and a nice twist (finishing with your thumb in the 12 o'clock position,) you should start seeing the hook coming in. I know I'm a bit late on my post, but just wanted to talk one beginner to another :P

Mi5hka
02-10-2012, 06:22 PM
hey thanks for the posts guys its going great so far im really liking the ball i just had a question tho maybe someone can help a little ive noticed the first time i got the tips drilled in i developed a blister on the left side of my thumb right on the side so it made me not bbe able to bowl for a week and half! i told the guy at the pro shop and he said that its just me that i have to get used to the ball and itll go away but im also hearing that the hole can be to tight or im holding it to tight wen swing...idk how you not hold on to a ball tight wen your bowling. how doy ou know if mayb the thumb hole is to tight ?

billf
03-27-2012, 12:37 PM
You should have ZERO grip to your thumb, at least once you start your downswing. Centrifugal force will prevent the ball from falling once the downswing is started. Professionals tend to have a much tighter thumb than amateurs however, you should not expect to get a blister every time you bowl. I also get blisters on my thumb but I have a tendency to grip with my thumb at the bottom of the swing. This causes the thumb to drag on the way out thus a blister. It also causes errant rolls to the left of target. Generally I feel this after 18-20 games of practice. To aide my thumb I will now apply some skin defender to the area allowing my thumb to slide easier and a layer of protectant to the area.