PDA

View Full Version : question on new ball I just had drilled

bprid
02-05-2012, 01:01 PM
I am just getting back into the sport of bowling. I used to bowl in high school and recreationally, but didnt play for a few years.

I just bought a new ball, the storm victory road. I never got into all the details about what patterns you can use to drill your ball, and all the other technical stuff. Now that I am getting back into it I want to understand a little bit how the drilling patters work. The ball I just bought I had drilled according to how the pro shop guy recommended after he watched me throw some balls, and ask me some questions.

I wanted a ball that would have some good length and snap back in at the end, the hockey stick shape. He drilled it with the pin locater above my ring finger. Can anyone tell me the characteristics of a ball that is drilled that way, or maybe point me in the right direction. Im not sure if maybe there is a forum on this site explaining this stuff or not, I am new to this site. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

bprid
02-05-2012, 04:06 PM
I realized that I didnt give enought information about how my ball was drilled. Here is a picture of it.

bprid
02-05-2012, 04:11 PM
The pin is above my ring finger and the liuttle hurricaine looking thing is almost right in the middle almost halfway in between the finger hles and the thumbhole, it is a little closer to the finger holes. Hopefully i explained this well enough. thanks

JerseyJim
02-05-2012, 05:08 PM
I don't see a picture of it. It sounds close to a 4 x 4 drilling. Is the CG mark (hurricane thing) directly below the pin?

HunterRunsIt
02-05-2012, 06:46 PM
The individual who drilled your ball should know...also you can google patterns for your ball.

bprid
02-05-2012, 06:48 PM
yea so the picture ended up being to big it looks like this

8 x 0

and the pin is above the ring finger with the hurricaine looking thing right in the middle of the finger and thumb holes, with it being a little closer to the fingers

bprid
02-05-2012, 06:49 PM
I am going to go back to the pro shop and get the exact drill pattern from him, that way you guys will know exactly whatr I am talking about. Sorry I am still a little new at this.

Drano
02-06-2012, 12:51 AM
Sounds like he drilled it pretty well to give you the skid-flip reaction you wanted.. plus the ball itself is very skid flip. He likely doesn't know what 'drill pattern' he used, generally pin-up goes a little longer. If he didn't check your ball for your PAP with an armadillo then he just gave it a general layout for a beginner which is acceptable being that you're pretty new.

Drano
02-06-2012, 12:52 AM
^since i can't edit,

generally pin over fingers makes it skid-flip a little more while pin under makes it see the lane a little sooner

bprid
02-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Ok, this clears things up a little. Thanks for everyones help

Stormed1
02-11-2012, 01:31 PM
Actuall balls drilled pin down being earlier is not the truth at all, Basically pin up balls respond to friction quicker so therefore are more andgular at the breakpoint. Pin down balls respond to friction slower and as such are smoother or archinhg at the breakpoint

striker12
02-11-2012, 07:45 PM
ok ik how your ball is drilled its drilled for length with a sharp backend i have same thing but with pin under fingers but mines drilled for length with a strong arc ment for dryer lane condtions well to tell you will your ball is drilled to give big snap on the backend but little tip dont open up the lanes much on heavy oil stay to about 10-15 boards crossing and u will have a nice smooth move to the pocket and when the lanes get dryers you can start opening up alittle but if y0u go with my dirlling pin under i have togo streght up 10 but i can use it on any oil condtions but if you want to know about the patterns u mgith see out there...there are some sites that u can check that up on and see how long they are alittle thing if a pattern is long stay close to the right abit and dont cross boards over 10 but says its the cheeta pattern u will have to stand left alot play throw the middle out to 10-5 board and it will snap back in cause the outter part of the lane has abit of oil andits the shortest pattern at i think 34-36 feet soo theres alot of dry area soo u want to paly threw middle throw the oil to get some carry on the backend