PDA

View Full Version : Talk Bowling #104 - Bowling After a Kid's Birthday Party

johncongdon
02-22-2012, 08:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ_u-wiL7AM

Q – Sometimes whenever i bowl on open bowling condition after a kids birthday party i have trouble making it back to the pocket. I want to say its oil carry down but im unsure on how to fight that. do i need an early rolling bowling ball with pin down or just a ball with a stronger surface. im a 180 average bowler mid revs, 13mph ball speed. i use a mission 2.0 and a critical theory.

A – It sounds like what you’re describing is carry down. Typically open bowling conditions get this way after open bowling occurs. Especially kids birthday parties because most of the bowlers are using house balls which will cause more oil to carry down the back part of the lane.

With your ball speed you would want to find something that will be cleaner in the font part of the lane then the 2.0 and Critical Theory. Something shiny and pinned to get down the lane with a more angular motion would suit this condition the best. What you are trying to do is have the ball store up as much energy as possible so it can cut through the oil down lane.

Question from cd_ebay:
Q – When the lanes are fresh it is very easy to get lined up and strike. What would you suggest when the right side is completely burned up and you are forced to play from the fourth arrow or even further left? I have heard of taking the bump out of your game but how??

A – Practice, practice, practice. Getting comfortable playing that deep is something that you have to practice to feel ok in here. Really what you are trying to do is migrate left on the lane to find more oil. Mentally I envision the lane turned on the angle I am forced to play. So instead of thinking the gutter is to the right, I mentally angle t entire lane so in my minds perspective the lane is the exact same as when Im playing up 10 just turned at a different angle.