PDA

View Full Version : Mental Grind Long Series/ Season

greycat
02-27-2012, 01:04 AM
Bowled a 8 game tourney on the open pattern scoring was tight all day so everything mattered. How do you recover when you are dead focused on a late game strike and get a corner? I mentally break get lazy and miss my mark and leave a 10th open.

As for the long haul in league. When your at the end of league you team is near or at the top how do you and teammates stay strong when we all want to put bowling on the side burner?

MFein
02-27-2012, 04:37 AM
Mentally, I find sitting down to be a great relaxer. I enjoy a nice cup of water. I rarely drink beer, soda, etc. When I need to bowl my best, I enjoy water and I relax in a chair. If there's no where to sit, walk to the back and just relax where there's no one around. Help yourself mentally come back after a miss. If your concentration is broken after leaving a corner, wait a while until it comes back. Take more time at the approach or let other bowlers go before you.

As for leagues winding down, I'm going through the same situation right now. Don't take it "too" seriously. All my leagues are competitive except for 1, but my team is filled with great people I love and we just help each other out. In the year 2012 and I mean January 1, 2012, all 3 of my leagues combined have lost no more than 20 points. Most of those coming from Monday night since it's the most competitive. Sitting top 5 in each and closing in on all the teams. Trust me, mental game isn't as hard as it seems. Just calm yourself down and if you have trouble, find something that relaxes you.

ASSASSIN187
03-28-2012, 11:19 PM
I used to be like that too late in the season. Just wanted it to be over already. The past 2 seasons tho I've been more into it. That may be considering it was tight last season and we ended up winning the league and this season we're in second only 4 pts out. I like to think about the fact of coming in first is great and also the extra money you get by placing higher haha. If you're in a league where your team is struggling and you have no chance it is hard to stay focused tho.

billf
03-29-2012, 12:42 PM
I bowl three leagues during the season and two summer leagues. For the most part I have been bowling year round for the last four years and I still look forward to every match. In my Monday league we are way out of it so using that to fine tune things for the other two. In the summer I bowl a 9 pin no tap and a PBA experience league. Guess which one is just a goof off fun night and which is serious. This summer I will also be playing softball plus attending all my grandchildren's games. I stay constantly busy and would be bored to death any other way.