PDA

View Full Version : Anyone meet or bowl with a PBA Tour bowler?

J Anderson
03-01-2012, 08:44 AM
Just wondering how many of us have met or run into players from the PBA Tour?
This Monday in the sport league that I bowl in, I wound up bowling opposite Rhino Page. The format of this league is that we move to a different pair after each game, and points are based on how many scores you beat, with a bonus for throwing a clean game. So you're not just bowling against the guy opposite you, or even the other three bowlers on your pair, but against everyone in the league. By the fourth game we've gone from a handshake and a hearty, "Bowl well", to a "You ready? Let's get this over with and go home". So the last game, I was waiting to for the other two bowlers to move over. The bowler who was subbing for Justin puts his balls on the ball return and asks if he's on the left lane. I said "If you're bowler C you are" and with that we started the game. At first I thought he looked vaguely familiar. Then I thought this guy looks like Rhino Page, but he wouldn't be bowling here. It must just be one of the hot shot kids from Sacred Heart University. Then yesterday when Monday's results were posted on League Secretary.com I looked up who the sub was and sure enough it said Rhino Page. Turned out He had come to have Chris from our local pro shop drill some balls for him, and while he was hanging around the shop, Justin, half jokingly, asked him to sub and he said yeah, why not. He seemed very down to earth, not nearly as intense as he appears on TV, but then this was basically four games of practice for him.

O.K. so who else has a story?

JerseyJim
03-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Teata Semiz ( he was big in the 70s) used to drill balls at our alley. He also did some coaching. I asked him to help me with my game. On the day that I was supposed to meet with him, he ended up with a few rush orders for drilling. He told me to get an alley outside the window of his shop. I started throwing, and he would bounce out of his shop, and show me what I was doing wrong. He tweaked my game over the course of a couple of hours. After we were finished with the lesson, he just charged me $10. He said that he since his attention was split it wouldn't be fair to charge me full price. However once I worked those tweaks into my game, I ended up averaging 211 a game over the last 12 weeks of the season. He would even stop by my alley when I was bowling in league, and just tell me what he saw in my game.

The Mayor
03-01-2012, 01:44 PM
I grew up bowling with Scott Newell (just won his first PBA title at the Ricart Ford Open two weeks ago) and I am still good friends with him. A great bowler who is still on the rise. I'm also friends with Chris Loschetter and Terrence Reeves (former exempt player). I've met many PBA bowlers, the highlights being getting to talk with Walter Ray for about 3 hours on everything from bowling to music and meeting Dick Weber at a senior stop when I was young. I've met pretty much all of the big names currently on tour and it's really an amazing thing to watch them bowl. They are all pretty down to earth and nice, with the nicest being Parker, Ryan Shafer, Amleto, Jeff Carter, Jason Couch and Norm. The weirdest, by far, is Patrick Allen.

DaveAyotte
03-01-2012, 02:17 PM
I've met a bunch of bowlers while attending PBA events - some small talk after, and maybe an autograph or whatnot, but the best experience was the few years I bowled an event in Las Vegas at the Gold coast. I would go with my best friend out there and bowl with his uncle who lives down in San Diego. Turns out he has connections, because the 4th member on our team... Wayne Webb. He was definately eccentric, but wicked awesome. Always had a great time at that event regardless of how I bowled. The last year I went was 05, and at the time I only had a 184 average. I ended up hitting 692, which helped us get a little cash out of the tourney, but more importantly - I beat Wayne by 4 pins. The ball busting ensued from there!

scottb879
03-01-2012, 04:32 PM
I bowled in a Pro-am in New Hampshire and bowled with tons of pros like Walter Ray, Rhino Page, Patrick Allen, Doug Kent. Have any of you bowled with any Pro Bowlers?

JaMau24
03-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Norm Duke, Brian Voss, and Mike Machuga came to our alley when years ago while I was in youth league and coached many of us and bowled with us a little bit. Got their autographs and all, so it was pretty cool. I'm sure you all already know, but Norm Duke is one short dude. Seems shorter when you actually stand next to him.

J Anderson
03-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Norm Duke, Brian Voss, and Mike Machuga came to our alley when years ago while I was in youth league and coached many of us and bowled with us a little bit. Got their autographs and all, so it was pretty cool. I'm sure you all already know, but Norm Duke is one short dude. Seems shorter when you actually stand next to him.
I'm so jealous, three of my favorite pros to root for.

Stormed1
03-02-2012, 12:33 AM
Over the years i've bowled with too many to mention. However for the most part when you take them away from the pressure of the tour they're all pretty good guys and girls

kev3inp
03-03-2012, 11:36 AM
My wife and I got to meet and bowl with Tim Mack a few years ago as part of a Storm Open House. He's a great guy. Shorter than I expected but built like a brick, um, house. Two years ago at the Gathering Tom Baker was there to work with Ron and tune up his game a bit. He's also another friendly, funny guy and I got him to sign my "Split Happens" t shirt.

Rusty
03-03-2012, 01:03 PM
When I was little, I guess about 6 or 7. My mom used to work at Thunderbird lanes in Michigan. They hosted the show Beat the Champ and my mom was the person who wrote down the scores. So I guess you could say my mom had a famous hand! I don't remember a whole lot about it, but now I wish I did. I got to meet Earl Anthony and sit in the front row to watch him bowl. I even remember being on TV. Wish I could get a copy of that tape! Havent really looked, but thinking about it now, I might try and find it!

Rusty

Just wondering how many of us have met or run into players from the PBA Tour?
This Monday in the sport league that I bowl in, I wound up bowling opposite Rhino Page. The format of this league is that we move to a different pair after each game, and points are based on how many scores you beat, with a bonus for throwing a clean game. So you're not just bowling against the guy opposite you, or even the other three bowlers on your pair, but against everyone in the league. By the fourth game we've gone from a handshake and a hearty, "Bowl well", to a "You ready? Let's get this over with and go home". So the last game, I was waiting to for the other two bowlers to move over. The bowler who was subbing for Justin puts his balls on the ball return and asks if he's on the left lane. I said "If you're bowler C you are" and with that we started the game. At first I thought he looked vaguely familiar. Then I thought this guy looks like Rhino Page, but he wouldn't be bowling here. It must just be one of the hot shot kids from Sacred Heart University. Then yesterday when Monday's results were posted on League Secretary.com I looked up who the sub was and sure enough it said Rhino Page. Turned out He had come to have Chris from our local pro shop drill some balls for him, and while he was hanging around the shop, Justin, half jokingly, asked him to sub and he said yeah, why not. He seemed very down to earth, not nearly as intense as he appears on TV, but then this was basically four games of practice for him.

O.K. so who else has a story?

got_a_300
03-04-2012, 06:18 PM
I have bowled with and against so many PBA Greats that it would make for a long post
to try and mention them all by name even if I could remember all of their names that is.
I can say that back in the late 80's to early 90's I bowled quite a few PBA Regional Pro Ams
then in the mid to late 90's is when I decided to bowl few Southern Regional PBA Tournaments
and I can say that it was quite the experience getting to bowl against them.

I did beat quite a few of them but missed cashing by just a few pins something like 1 or 2 pins
on my first tournament and then missed making the top 16 by something like 4 pins on another
tournament over in Memphis. That is when I decide to go for my PBA Southern Regional card but
as fate would have it right after that is when I received my back injury right before I was approved
to receive my card and that put a stop to me going Pro. :(

I do remember beating ("Who Do You Think You Are? I Am") PDW a couple of times back then and it
still makes me feel good to know that I did that. :) I bowled against one of my favorite heroes back then
does anyone remember Guppy Troupe the guy that always wore the wild looking pants the ones that had
two different pants legs. I used to watch him on TV back in the early 80's and admired him for him being
so daring to dress and be so different then the others back then I got to beat him once or twice back then
also.

There were several that had bad attitudes on and off of the lanes and I didn't try to associate with them
at all and I won't mention their names but for the most part all of them were just like me hard working
during the week at their jobs and good hearted guys that just liked to go bowling on the weekends. :)

J Anderson
03-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Win or lose Guppy was always fun to watch

bowl1820
03-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Guppy Troupe! I bowled a Pro-Am with him a couple of years ago. Another good one I bowled with was Gary Dickerson. Met Norm Duke and saw the towel trick.

got_a_300
03-05-2012, 01:09 AM
LOL!!! Guppy was a really nice guy he has a great personality
and was just plain fun to be around on or off the lanes. Yeah
Norm Duke can do that towel trick pretty darn good and strike
almost every time.

x-mantwohand
03-05-2012, 01:17 AM
one time i bowled with jason belmonte at a bowling camp
in july i am going to a junior bowling camp with sean rash, walter ray, parker bohn, tom smallwood, ryan ciminelli, ronnie russell, mike muchuga, and Brian valenta

J Anderson
03-05-2012, 08:45 AM
one time i bowled with jason belmonte at a bowling camp
in july i am going to a junior bowling camp with sean rash, walter ray, parker bohn, tom smallwood, ryan ciminelli, ronnie russell, mike muchuga, and Brian valenta

Now if someone would organize a senior bowling camp for us old geezers who somehow missed out on all this fun when we were younger.

got_a_300
03-05-2012, 02:56 PM
Now if someone would organize a senior bowling camp for us old geezers who somehow missed out on all this fun when we were younger.

LOL!!! I would love to go to a camp for old geezers myself and maybe I could learn something. ;)

Grimthrow
03-06-2012, 12:10 AM
I talked to Matt McNeil the other day and I'm going to get him to coach me a bit.
I'm almost positive he'll be a PBA tour bowler someday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=238bRT_xp5s