PDA

View Full Version : Shoveling style to conventional, any tips?

fatback
03-04-2012, 06:17 PM
I started bowling this year for my high school team, and i have been using my dad's ball lately because i did not have one and he didn't want to buy me one until I made sure it was what i wanted to do. His ball that i was using was a 1997 AMF Whip, and the thumbhole was way to big, so i was shoveling the ball, In a way. I was bending my elbow so i could use the ball without dropping, i still had my thumb in the ball though. This last Friday i got a Ebonite Game On bowling ball, that was drilled for me and everything. I want to start bowling with a conventional approach now that it will be possible without dropping the ball, or without excessively squeezing the ball to keep from dropping it. When i bowl with my arm straight, It sounds like i am dropping the ball when i release it. I try bending my knees, and it still sounds like i'm dropping it. Could it be because my release is too early/late? and also, are there any other tips on switching styles? Because currently, i am doing some sort of mix between the two, my elbow is still bent, not as extreme as it was before, but it's still there. I would greatly appreciate your help on this. Thanks everyone.

J Anderson
03-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Does sound like you might be releasing a bit early.

You could try practicing your swing at home to get the bend out of your elbow,if you have some place in your home where nothing is likely to get broken if you forget and let go of the ball.

Both Norm Duke and Dick Ritger have release drills that you can find on Youtube that may help you release the ball correctly and at the correct moment.

fatback
03-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Does sound like you might be releasing a bit early.

You could try practicing your swing at home to get the bend out of your elbow,if you have some place in your home where nothing is likely to get broken if you forget and let go of the ball.

Both Norm Duke and Dick Ritger have release drills that you can find on Youtube that may help you release the ball correctly and at the correct moment.

Okay, thank you very much. I appreciate your help. It still feels kinda awkward and i have a bowling tournament next week. So im trying to figure out as much as i can. Thanks.

peterfa
03-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Since you are bowling for your HS, I strongly suggest finding a local USBC certified coach and take some lessons soon. Bowling with a crooked elbow may have worked for Don Carter, but it doesn't work in this day and age. Your arm swing has to be relaxed and repeatable. Find a coach.

fatback
03-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Since you are bowling for your HS, I strongly suggest finding a local USBC certified coach and take some lessons soon. Bowling with a crooked elbow may have worked for Don Carter, but it doesn't work in this day and age. Your arm swing has to be relaxed and repeatable. Find a coach.

I've found someone. He bowls on my highschool team, but he took the test to be certified and he's able to coach people now, and he's helping me out.

bowl1820
03-04-2012, 10:19 PM
I've found someone. He bowls on my highschool team, but he took the test to be certified and he's able to coach people now, and he's helping me out.

One of the best investments you can make is getting a coach!

A tip just before putting your thumb in the ball. Blow some warm air in the hole, this will give you just a little moregrip in the hole . Let you hang on to it better if needed.

JaMau24
03-04-2012, 11:34 PM
I've been "shoveling" the ball ever since I started bowling... Would I like a conventional release/arm swing? Absolutely. However, after practicing throwing the "correct" way, I just can't seem to do it. I've watched every video on how to do it, read everything, listened to great bowlers, but I just can't. In my mind, I understand what I have to do, or at least I think I do but I think my muscle memory prevents me from doing it. So at this point, I've just stopped trying. I average over 200, so I'm not a terrible bowler. I just think if I threw the "correct" way, I could hit my mark easier and my game would improve. Its hard to hit a mark with a "shoveling" style, either that, or I'm bad at hitting a mark. I still have good form, good approach, I just don't have the proper arm swing/hand release.

Bowling in a tourney today, I got to really see some great bowlers with fantastic releases and arm swings generating high revs and ridiculous hook. I still have a lot of revs, but not like some of the guys I was bowling against. I'd love to be able to emulate their styles, I just don't know if I can. Maybe I'll figure it out one day.. I'll get an old ball of mine drilled correctly to my hand and practice some more at it. Until then, I'll just keep maxing out at a 205-210 average without any hope of getting better. Let me know if you do figure it out though, maybe it will give me some hope! lol.. good luck.

fatback
03-05-2012, 04:59 PM
One of the best investments you can make is getting a coach!

A tip just before putting your thumb in the ball. Blow some warm air in the hole, this will give you just a little moregrip in the hole . Let you hang on to it better if needed.

Okay and one more question. When i go to throw my ball with the conventional swing, the left side of my thumb, right below the middle of my fingernail gets raw after 3-4 throws, and after a few games it'll turn really red, is that because im doing something wrong or my ball is drilled wrong?

Grimthrow
03-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Okay and one more question. When i go to throw my ball with the conventional swing, the left side of my thumb, right below the middle of my fingernail gets raw after 3-4 throws, and after a few games it'll turn really red, is that because im doing something wrong or my ball is drilled wrong?
My guess is that it could very well be an improper drilling, but I believe defense skin protector could help until you get it fixed. I get blisters and redness right where you're talking about all the time but if I put this and the little patch it comes with on that area, it's perfectly fine. Your pro shop should have it.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51G%2BvQo94UL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

fatback
03-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Yeah newskin has helped me out a ton. Thank you. And i went bowling tuesday with my team, and i was wondering if anyone had any ideas to help me from stop cupping my wrist?

The Mayor
03-08-2012, 03:34 PM

You're squeezing the ball. Even though the new ball is fit for your hand, you're still used to throwing your dad's old equipment with the large thumb holes. It's going to take some practice, but try and keep your thumb straight and relaxed.

striker12
03-08-2012, 04:03 PM
just like mayor sead is because you are squeening the ball you should use your fingers not your thumb but if the ball is fealing abit werid in your hand and on your swing you cna do alittle squeez not much just alittle untill u get use to not squeezing the ball as much then u can start realing some of the presure from that little squeez untill your no presure in that thumb hole and then u will beable to get alot better releases and a much smoothing arm swing.

1 thing when you squeez your thumb that making you tense up some of your muscles in your arm which will make you muscle the ball and you wont beable to throw it properly and consistant

fatback
03-09-2012, 10:19 PM
Thank you guys for the help, and also one other thing, Anyone got tips on keeping my wrist straight, i keep cupping it without thinking about it, and i over rev it, and i don't know how to fix it.

JaMau24
03-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Thank you guys for the help, and also one other thing, Anyone got tips on keeping my wrist straight, i keep cupping it without thinking about it, and i over rev it, and i don't know how to fix it.

Yep.. When you have it in a straight position before you start your arm swing, put pressure on the ball with your index finger. It's very helpful

aussiedave
04-24-2012, 09:52 AM
I started bowling this year for my high school team, and i have been using my dad's ball lately because i did not have one and he didn't want to buy me one until I made sure it was what i wanted to do. His ball that i was using was a 1997 AMF Whip, and the thumbhole was way to big, so i was shoveling the ball, In a way. I was bending my elbow so i could use the ball without dropping, i still had my thumb in the ball though. This last Friday i got a Ebonite Game On bowling ball, that was drilled for me and everything. I want to start bowling with a conventional approach now that it will be possible without dropping the ball, or without excessively squeezing the ball to keep from dropping it. When i bowl with my arm straight, It sounds like i am dropping the ball when i release it. I try bending my knees, and it still sounds like i'm dropping it. Could it be because my release is too early/late? and also, are there any other tips on switching styles? Because currently, i am doing some sort of mix between the two, my elbow is still bent, not as extreme as it was before, but it's still there. I would greatly appreciate your help on this. Thanks everyone.

Someone will likely correct me here, but it seems to me that it is more difficult to maintain accuracy with a shovelling style. There are variables in all styles of bowling however, the swing does not have a long travel that offers a stronger follow through - which is paramount, to me anyway. My $0.02c worth.
ad.

billf
04-24-2012, 12:27 PM
A wrist brace will help "train" you on how to keep your wrist straighter. Just as they help people cup it can help correct over-cupping. If, over time, you can learn to control your revs it will allow you more versatility so don't be afraid to go with and without during your practice sessions. Changing your hand/wrist position at release so as to change your axis rotation will also allow you to play with more revs. I actually use more revs playing further right than when I play deep. The difference is my rotation on the right is a lot less allowing the ball to store the energy further down lane. If I want to play deep and need to go further down lane I usually just start coming off the side of the ball more.

One word of caution though: the more releases and angles you work on at once, the slower the average will come up (usually). That's why most bowlers prefer to play one line, one style. These type usually have great home house averages but lack the versatility to do well when away.

Does your high school team have a certified coach? I'm alright with player/coaches but it is unusual at that level.

dgz924s
04-24-2012, 06:35 PM
This glove will keep the wrist straight

billf
04-25-2012, 08:27 AM
This glove will keep the wrist straight

that it will but don't count on it lasting too long. I broke the metal plate that goes in the glove on two of these in three months.

dgz924s
04-25-2012, 09:45 AM
Plates held up fine for me but if he needed one I have one he can have. Fingertips are another issue though. But he will only need a wrist support for a short time until he builds up the muscle strength/memory and technique via repetition. Another exercise he could use is slightly cupping thru the swing to help prevent bending the wrist too much.

fatback
05-07-2012, 09:58 PM
Thank you all for the help, I've gotten a lot better with the conventional style now, I'm bowling around a 180 average now, thanks everyone. :D