PDA

View Full Version : Intermediate experience bowler looking to improve

Timmytomma
03-14-2012, 08:00 PM
So, since I got a new ball (Ebonite Lanebreaker) and practicing more, I've gotten myself up to around a 150ish average from about 120. My dad is a good bowler and he says my release is pretty good as is my approach, but I have trouble reading the lanes and adjusting my lines. Any good sources for basic how to's or is this just something I have to learn by practice? Thanks in advance.

-Tim

J Anderson
03-15-2012, 12:08 AM
So, since I got a new ball (Ebonite Lanebreaker) and practicing more, I've gotten myself up to around a 150ish average from about 120. My dad is a good bowler and he says my release is pretty good as is my approach, but I have trouble reading the lanes and adjusting my lines. Any good sources for basic how to's or is this just something I have to learn by practice? Thanks in advance.

-Tim

The two main problems with reading the lanes and making adjustments are that the oil patterns are basically invisible so you have to watch your ball reaction to figure it out and that you have to be consistent in your delivery in order to do so.
So the first part is to ask your self after each shot, " did I hit my target and did I release the ball well?" If both answers are yes then you can make an adjustment based on where the ball went. First adjustment is usually to move your feet in the direction of the miss. The bigger the miss the more you move.

10-in-the-pit
03-15-2012, 03:57 PM
It does take lots of practice and observation. Try making small adjustments to find your line. If you are missing to the right, move right. You can try moving your feet 2-3 boards to the right and move your target 1 board to the right as a guide. Modify it based on your experience. Good luck.

swingset
03-16-2012, 12:58 AM
If you're in the 120-150 range (and we all were once), assuming your form and timing is up to snuff, I almost guarantee your greatest obstacle is consistent target hits...in other words you're not rolling the ball over the same place roll after roll.

That is the fundamental, unshakable bedrock of improvement....because without it, reading the lanes is kind of meaningless, so is adjusting, so focus all of your energy right now on locking your eyesight on the boards you're aiming at, and watching the ball hit it. When you can maintain that focus, and rely on the ball to roll over the mark, reading the lanes is actually fairly straight forward, at least in terms of your ball and your line.

MiggityMac
03-19-2012, 09:42 PM
focus all of your energy right now on locking your eyesight on the boards you're aiming at, and watching the ball hit it. When you can maintain that focus, and rely on the ball to roll over the mark

I like this advice......I can relate and continue to struggle with hitting my marks consistently.

Just a quick run through on my routine, I get my grip, step up to my starting position, eying the pocket and begin my approach, at the beginning of my down stroke my eyes immediately go to the boards and my mark, always following through with the shot.

Am I missing something for a consistent roll? My league average is 150.

10-in-the-pit
03-20-2012, 03:32 PM
I would just look at your mark the whole way through. You only need to look at the pins before you go up to make sure all the pins are there. I would actually suggest getting to your starting position first, then place all your fingers in the ball and focus on your mark. I usually just leave my fingers in the ball, then once I am on the approach, insert the thumb into the ball.

travkoiboi
03-20-2012, 03:47 PM
video tape is a good way to help with everything whether it's timing, mechanics, or just overall posture. It's hard to have someone tell you what you are doing because what you feel and what you actually can see (if you tape yourself) are 2 totally different things. I use to have a high backswing (way overhead) but until i actually watched a tape of myself I never really believed it was "that high". So, first step record yourself bowling. Second, make small adjustments... don't over think changing all your mechanics because then you will be fixing the unfix able. just work on one thing at a time.

billf
03-27-2012, 10:38 AM
I have videotaped several people and helped them out tremendously. It wasn't until about a month ago that I finally recorded myself. In the first roll I saw at least ten things I was doing wrong. I have been bowling with the same team for a couple of years now and none of them saw what I was doing. My daughter came in during league to see friends. She watched one roll and told me right then and there of three things she saw. Her willingness to call me out in front of everybody is what prompted my recording but it was and is well worth it.