PDA

View Full Version : What balls do you use for tournys?

edpup316
03-19-2012, 07:45 PM
I have some of my friends who have different balls for different tournys, more specifically tournys with sport shot and pba patterns. One guy has two balls, like a nano pearl and a nano solid, drilled out as strong as he could get them and the other guy has a whole set of 4 balls he keeps in a separate bag that he says are for the pba shots. I bowl in mostly the same tournys that they do and they don't do much better then me most the time. So i guess what I'm ask is if its worth the money to get some different equipment for those tougher shots?

bowl1820
03-19-2012, 08:21 PM
I have some of my friends who have different balls for different tournys, more specifically tournys with sport shot and pba patterns. One guy has two balls, like a nano pearl and a nano solid, drilled out as strong as he could get them and the other guy has a whole set of 4 balls he keeps in a separate bag that he says are for the pba shots. I bowl in mostly the same tournys that they do and they don't do much better then me most the time. So i guess what I'm ask is if its worth the money to get some different equipment for those tougher shots?

IMO it just depends on how much of a commitment, your wanting to put into tournament bowling.

If your wanting to hit every tournament around, clean house in brackets, cash in every tournament, practice a lot and go hardcore. Yeah you might want to invest in extra equipment thats just for tournaments.

But if your like most and just want to do the locals with your friends, get in a few brackets and if you cash you cash, if you dont you dont and your okay with it.

Dont invest in a bunch of equipment, thats just going to sit. As you said above, you are doing just as good now as your friends who have the extra stuff.

resstealth
03-20-2012, 02:12 AM
I use the same equipment in tournaments as I do league and I do fine. If I had the cash I would probably get some seperate stuff.

striker12
03-21-2012, 09:18 AM
well it is good too get a extra ball or 2 cause like say you go on the shark pattern hard with 45 feet or 48 feet cant remember at this momment but say you have the world beater drilled strong and it works perfectly on the lane on the fresh oil but take this what ball would you sue when that oil pattern breaks down and the world beater is too much and you got the out burst in your bag.

say the out burst is just hitting the pocket and sometimes going high thata menas yoshould also have a peral ball in your bag soo you can abit mroe slid down the lane from what the solids cant do unless u get it drilled for that which means u have just lost most of the balls power to being able to hook in ont he shark pattern and u might go light or miss the pocket.

well im jsut trying to sa unless u are able to throw 2 balls for a longtime on fresh oil and burnt out oil then thats good but it also comes in handy to have some weaker balls for when the oil is burnt out.

for me i got a 4 ball bag and i take 6 balls to turnnys
2 high perfomance balls pearl and sanded
2 miderformance ball pearl and sanded
then the last too are my entry lvl ball and my plastic ball (eather one can hit my spares/splits

Stormed1
03-24-2012, 09:07 PM
A lot depends on the type of tournaments you bowl. Whether they are held on THS or a sport pattern can make a major difference in what equipment is needed

MFein
03-25-2012, 05:01 PM
I don't know a lot of people that have "tournament" equipment, but I know a lot of people that will drill up something new before a tournament and practice a little with it before bringing it. It's really only for serious tournaments. For me though, I am a 2 ball kinda person and I know how to adjust. I don't always score well, but when I get the money I will put some work into a well balanced arsenal.

billf
03-25-2012, 06:19 PM
I came into some extra money earlier this year. So, I went out and purchased four DV8 balls. I use the Misfit and Reckless for house shots and the Hellraiser Revenges (pin up, pin down) for longer and really heavy patterns. I still have my Rising, Hyroad and Victory Road for practice sessions. I also kept my Scout eurethane for when it gets super dry. Since my home house had the oiler repaired the pattern seems extra thin and goes away very fast. When I want to **** people off I throw my Storm Ice plastic ball drilled to not hook. I lay that down at 20 out to 8 and watch it hook back. It's a good way to work on increasing my rev rate and fine tuning axis tilt while messing with most of my opponents minds.

edpup316
03-27-2012, 12:36 AM
A lot depends on the type of tournaments you bowl. Whether they are held on THS or a sport pattern can make a major difference in what equipment is needed

Which is why I specified sport or pba patterns in my OP.

billf
03-27-2012, 09:18 AM
If you normally play straight up around the ten board you can usually get away with what you have with hand and speed adjustments. If you like to open the lanes up then a good heavy oil ball will come in handy.

striker12
03-27-2012, 04:48 PM
yeah the hell raiser revenge drilled agressive will do alot on those long and heavy oiled pattersn like the shark cause u can have it drilled for a early roll and it will mvoe abit earlyer and when it hits the dry area it will grip hard cause its already on its hook

wleto
07-23-2012, 12:39 AM
This is an awesome ball to use for drier lanes... check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bheivw0r7I&list=UUC_CXz7uaZyps1L2-8c2yRg&index=1&feature=plcp

edpup316
07-23-2012, 06:31 AM
Own it and love it got it drill with the pin above ring finger and cg in the middle of the hand and it it takes off cant use it on dry lanes works better and broke down lanes for me. I have to get another one and drill it stacked with pin above and between my fingers for the short and dry shots. Love this ball.