PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning suggestions

liljoe0985
03-21-2012, 10:00 PM
Looking to clean my ball and with all the product on the market, im lost. Should I just stick to warm water and dish detergent with maybe a lil alcohol rubbed on afterwards or look into some other products? Whats the difference between Tracks Clean N Sheen and Clean N Dull? Would either of them be prefered? Im just looking for something to clean my bowling balls with after a few games...my ball is brand new also lol

MFein
03-22-2012, 02:06 AM
I recently bought these Storm Surface wipes and I absolutely love them. Never use alcohol pads since they will damage the surface of the ball. I also used Tack-UP which was recently sold at my other house's pro shop and it does some great work. Any cleaner really works, but I recommend getting cleaner for the same brand of ball you have.

Example: I have a Roto Grip Critical Theory. I would go with Storm products since Roto Grip is the sister company of Storm. Ebonite International has the most versatile stuff since they own Ebonite, Track, Hammer, and Columbia 300. So you'd want to go with the Power House cleaner. That's the best stuff on the market for any ball.

The Mayor
03-22-2012, 08:32 AM
Joe, what kind of ball are you throwing? Clean N Dull is absolutely awesome on sanded or matte finished equipment. As MFein said, Tac-Up is a very good cleaner. Personally, what I use on all my equipment is Storm Reacta Clean after each league session and then Motiv Power Gel Clean after every 9 games. On my matte finished stuff I use Brunswick Hook-It after every 9 games.

greycat
03-22-2012, 09:27 AM
alcohol is fine show me proof of damage. I guess when you are paying $150 for a stone people might be worried :confused:.

The Mayor
03-22-2012, 09:49 AM
You can e-mail any manufacturer and they will tell you that with today's modern coverstocks, alcohol is too harsh. It changes the chemical make up of the cover and over time will actually round off the peaks which are what make the ball grip the lane. If you're insistent on using alcohol, it needs to be diluted.

bowl1820
03-22-2012, 11:44 AM
You can e-mail any manufacturer and they will tell you that with today's modern coverstocks, alcohol is too harsh. It changes the chemical make up of the cover and over time will actually round off the peaks which are what make the ball grip the lane. If you're insistent on using alcohol, it needs to be diluted.

I have to say in all the years I've been bowling, I've never seen a mfg. make that claim about alcohol. If you got a email from one that says it post a copy.

But that statement there Fits Acetone, thats why you should't use it.

liljoe0985
03-22-2012, 11:57 AM
just bought a hammer epidemic (this thing is nasty!) so i wanna do whatever possible to keep it up to par

The Mayor
03-22-2012, 12:35 PM
But that statement there Fits Acetone, thats why you should't use it.

You're correct. Acetone is the worst, but alcohol has been known to have the same effect, to a lesser extent. Much of the rubbing alcohol you buy will have some percentage of acetone in it. So you're right, the acetone is the main problem. However, I'd rather someone use alcohol than not clean their ball.

bowl1820
03-22-2012, 01:33 PM
You're correct. Acetone is the worst, but alcohol has been known to have the same effect, to a lesser extent. Much of the rubbing alcohol you buy will have some percentage of acetone in it. So you're right, the acetone is the main problem. However, I'd rather someone use alcohol than not clean their ball.Acetone in alcohol? What rubbing alcohol has acetone in it? You got a link to a page that tells about that. Or a mfg. email.I did some looking the only alcohol with acetone in it is in special alcohol blends used in some medical pads and swabs, not in ordinary rubbing alcohol. If it has acetone in it they list it in the ingredients.

Timmytomma
03-22-2012, 02:41 PM
Are the wipes mentioned earlier the same kind of thing as a hot water bath? So I'd use it every so often as a deep cleaning?

bowl1820
03-22-2012, 04:05 PM
Looking to clean my ball and with all the product on the market, im lost. Should I just stick to warm water and dish detergent with maybe a lil alcohol rubbed on afterwards or look into some other products? Whats the difference between Tracks Clean N Sheen and Clean N Dull? Would either of them be prefered? Im just looking for something to clean my bowling balls with after a few games...my ball is brand new also lol
To the OP.
1st- the hot water and dawn method is a home diy oil extraction method. Its not meant to be a everyday cleaning option. Some do it about every 30-60 games just depends on how much you ball.

2nd- track clean'n sheen is now under the ebonite powerhouse label. It's a cleaner polish (more polish than cleaner though), not really for everyday use.

3rd- clean'n dull is a excellent penetrating deep cleaner, but not really suited for use at the lanes, plus you don't really need to use it everyday. I use it once a week or so depending on how much I bowl.

For what you can use at the lanes like after a set. Most any of the ball cleaners are better than nothing.

Some good ones though are Tac-Up (Im using it at the moment), Hook-it is a great penetrating cleaner (better than tac-up), Reacta Clean is good and I hear some of the Lane masters stuff is good.

Some better than nothings are powerhouse energizer cleaner, power wash.

Other products rubbing alcohol works (though you see theres a controversy about it), a diy is a mix of simple green+alcohol+water in equal amounts ( a variation is a 50/50 mix of simple green and alcohol)

One thing get a micro fiber towels! They work good taking stuff off the ball.

bowl1820
03-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Are the wipes mentioned earlier the same kind of thing as a hot water bath? So I'd use it every so often as a deep cleaning?

The only wipes I see mentioned above are alcohol pads, no they are not the same as a hot water bath. So not for deep cleaning.

Now there are Powerhouse Adrenaline Ball Steroid Wipes, That are supposed to be a penetrating cleaner to remove more oil from the surface. But I haven't tried them so cant say how well they work.