PDA

View Full Version : Ball rolls over thumb hole.

ztbowler15
04-02-2012, 04:48 PM
hey guys/girls, I am i right handed bowler, avg 199, throw 15 pounds, rev rate 450-500. about a month ago, the oil track on my ball was just to the left of my fingerholes,( where i want it.) but now, the oil track is next to the finger holes, but goes over the thumb hole! sometimes even on the right side of the thumb hole, any comments/tips/suggestions would be helpful, thanks.

~Zack

hoppy1605
04-03-2012, 09:53 PM
Mine does that as well, when I try to throw the ball harder. When I am just letting it go, It will have time to get into a full roll and the track goes off of the thumb (slower ball).

vgw
04-03-2012, 10:51 PM
It sounds like you are rolling relatively straight. On my spare ball, the ball rolls partially over the thumb hole but it doesn't matter for that. If this is your first ball, try adding a little more side rotation.

resstealth
04-04-2012, 01:13 AM
Probably not getting enough side rotation, try putting a little more hand in your release.

The Mayor
04-04-2012, 08:49 AM
There are a lot of different factors that can cause you to roll over the thumb. All of them are caused by your hand/wrist position at release. Many times, this can be fixed by using some sort of wrist support (preferably with the support on the back of your wrist, not the palm side). I'd start there. If you could take some video and post it, we could try and give you some better advice.

striker12
04-04-2012, 09:38 PM
i use to ahve the same problem, all i did to fix this was adjust my hand on the ball and did not come up from behind the balla s much and more from the side and i have not gone over my thumb hole since them and my track is right beside my figners and thumb hole working on getting it abit more over taken time,

also too work on getting ff the thumb go a practice but dont throw yo0ur normal speed throw alot slower untill u find the correct place of your hand on the ball and doo that for a game of jsut slow soo your mussle memorie will remember it then try to speed it up abit more and in a total of 3 games you should be off the thumb but ocne and awhile you will go over the thumb but it takes time to work on it.

billf
04-05-2012, 12:03 AM
Zach, when you can, take a video closer to you than you did for the ball reaction videos. A side shot and 45 degree angle would be helpful as well. As for the comments to get more hand in the ball, they obviously haven't watched your video yet. It probably is in your release but from what I could see in the reaction videos you posted, it looked good.

ztbowler15
04-09-2012, 07:33 PM
ya i will have to, cause its starting to become an issue. some people say its because im trying to hook it to much so im coming over the top of it. some people say stay under the ball more, and some people say lower your backswing. i have yet to try any of these things due to a recent shoulder injury, but when im all healed up i will definetly try that!.

billf
04-10-2012, 10:31 PM
The coaching module I took the other day said this is from using too much of the pads of the fingers instead of towards the side. I don't know if this is the cause but hope it helps. How's the shoulder coming along?

ztbowler15
04-13-2012, 12:28 AM
its going good! I went to the doctor's office wednesday, and they said I have bursitis in my shoulder. She perscribed me some neproxin to help. she said I should take 7-10 days off and then it should be all better. Im also going to try to limit myself to five games when I practice, instead of the usual 10-15. I will do some expirementing when i get back into it, Using too much pads of the fingers makes sence because they are pretty callused. thanks for the advice!

striker12
04-13-2012, 08:15 AM
ik a way for when your coming over the ball i use to do that first practice with not turning yur hand at first and just pulling it up from behind the ball you wont get much move but this will help out, but when you feel that you wont go over the ball anymore then just do alittle turn on your hand but if your still are then just try to adjust the ball abit on your hand.

me i cant turn my hand up the side of my ball cause of my wrist and i use to over rev the ball where my coach told me it looks like i want to make the ball hook and not let it hook on its own and he told me to do these thigns and i have improved alot just by keeping my hand streght and coming right out from not behind it but from the side abit and i still create alot of revs

jaydee
04-17-2012, 10:43 AM
Could be a few things. Could be the ball isn't layed out properly, could be something in your release. If it's layout related, you might be able to fix it by using a balance hole. Ask your pro shop guy to watch you take a few shots and see what he thinks.

striker12
04-24-2012, 07:31 PM
ztbowler you should only do 3 game practices cause then your arm will get use to that i use to do around 8 games when ever i went up but when i changed down to 3-4 games i have increased my avg alot cause my arm knows how to swing and dose not get the memorie of when the oil is burnt out alot.