PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic Pins

JaMau24
04-04-2012, 03:14 AM
Does anybody's bowling alley use these Twister synthetic pins? I've never heard of them until I was just surfing Youtube. I don't know if the video distorts the sound a little or not, but that just sounds so much different when the ball hits the pins. I do think scores would improve using these pins though. I have no idea why this hasn't become the pins that almost every alley uses nowadays much like almost every alley uses synthetic lanes. Considering it would save them so much money and its USBC approved, you'd think it would be a no-brainer. Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdjFpZgWXBI

The Mayor
04-04-2012, 10:03 AM
I've heard quite a bit of talk about the fact that a lot of 4 and 9 pins get left by righties with these pins. Solid pocket hits, as opposed to light pocket hits, are rewarded more with Twisters. I have never personally bowled with them, so I don't have any personal experience.

greycat
04-04-2012, 01:30 PM
they are a german company. To the best of my knowledge wood pins come from timber in N.America. I am a believer that we should be using other renewable oil based polymers. I'm not sure what twisters use but I bet its the black stuff. The only example company is what nature works provides here in america. We are paying up the rear for crude products instead of going wow the cost to make products from renewables though higher now shouldn't have the spiking costs of non renewables. If these Twisters are some corn or soy polymers my bad and props to them. Here's a link to nature work (http://www.natureworksllc.com/Product-And-Applications.aspx)

got_a_300
04-05-2012, 01:44 AM
Our center just put in new pins wish I'd have known about these
pins before the owner bought the wooden pins I would have tried
to talk him into buying these synthetic ones instead.

billf
04-05-2012, 12:44 PM
$127 a pin sounds expensive but then again, I have no clue what a wood pin costs.

got_a_300
04-05-2012, 03:35 PM
$127 a pin sounds expensive but then again, I have no clue what a wood pin costs.

That price is for a set of 10 pins which would make them cost
$12.70 per pin and the new wooden pins that our center bought
costs $10.70 per pin and will have to be replaced after a couple
of years. The synthetic pins will last for a lot longer time than any
wooden pins will last so the cost would be a lot less in the long run
by not having to replace them so often.

LOL!!! at $127.00 per pin that would make a single lane with 20 pins
in the rack cost $2,540 and a pair of lanes would be $5,080 dollars or
more depending on how many extra pins are in the machine we have
I believe it is 4 extra pins per machine so the would raise the cost to
$3,048 per lane and $6,096 per pair of lanes. :eek:

billf
04-05-2012, 04:57 PM
See, I thought it sounded way too expensive.

bowl1820
04-05-2012, 05:04 PM
The synthetic twister pins have been around for like 12 years or so. I dont think they really went over big because of several issues. While they may last longer, a lot of people told how they became dead after a year. Out range problems because of ridges on the bottoms and pin jams. They didnt fall the same as wood pins and of course cost.

There were aso those who called them cheater pins, because scores went up with them. Also there seemed to be more splits with them.

Of course they may have improved them now too.

Grimthrow
04-05-2012, 11:44 PM
They sound awful....no please. I want my strikes to thunder....not sound like pouring milk on rice krispies.