PDA

View Full Version : ANDREW'S ANGLE Wichita, Kan. - 10/22/2008

onefrombills
10-22-2008, 01:39 PM
by Andrew Cain

16204. My first odometer reading. As I backed out of my driveway, not to see my home and family again for 29 days, the time had finally arrived: the 2008-09 edition of the PBA Tour was nearly underway in Wichita, and I was headed toward it. Or so I thought…

Two minutes and one aggravating half mile later, I found myself pulling back into my driveway wondering (ok, perhaps not just “wondering,” but I think you can imagine the thoughts crossing my mind) why my A/C was blowing hot air. If you live in the Midwest or on the Eastern Seaboard, hot air may be a good thing in October, but not in the perpetual Arizona summer. Luckily, the solution was simply that I needed to reconnect the A/C wire that I had accidentally pulled out while working on my stereo the previous day.

16204.5. Ok, back on the road…for another half mile until my wife called, laughing that I had left behind my pillow.

16205. Eight hours behind schedule with plenty of driving in front of me, I finally set out on the open road. After reaching Flagstaff I began thinking that life on the road wouldn’t be so bad after all. That is, until the sun went down.

Between Flagstaff and Albuquerque I passed Meteor Crater, the Continental (Great) Divide, and paralleled much of Route 66 as I trekked across the wide stretch of I-40. Such history, such great scenery, but what nobody tells you is that they ALL look the SAME when it is pitch black outside. No, for four hours the only change in panorama I saw was a toss-up between Peterbilt, Kenworth, or Freightliner. I called my first day quits in Albuquerque, and decided to spend all of the next day finishing the drive to Wichita.

Sunday was a much better day as I embarked on my remaining 600+ miles to the PBA World Championship. More trucks, more cows, more flat land to cover, and one more year. One more year? Yes, my 27th birthday was Sunday, and all I ask is that when blowing out the candles on your cake, do not wish for a 16-hour road trip! Surprisingly, the time flew by in the car. Between phone calls, a few hundred channels of satellite radio, visible landscape, and the overwhelming anticipation of the first Tour stop, I had no shortage of things to do. I must truly say that I respect those who journeyed across the 2170 miles of the Oregon Trail in bumpy wagons, and humbly admit that we are lucky to be spoiled by modern cars, GPS, Blackberrys, and XM to occupy our time between destinations.

17235. Turning into the parking lot at Northrock Lanes was much like finding the Holy Grail of bowling. Well, at the very least, the Holy Grail of my last day and a half. Homesickness was wearing off and the anticipation of a new season and a new career for me took hold. No more waiting, guessing, or imagining what it would feel like to see the PBA trucks emblazoned with our logo and some of the stars of our game. No more telling people I was leaving soon for the Tour. The time was here. The Tour is now.

Although that would have been a great spot to end my weekly edition of Andrew’s Angle, I would be remiss if I didn’t give you a little taste of this week’s bowling action.

My practice session went rather smoothly, as it was merely a time to get used to the building and this week’s environment. We are bowling on older, burned-up (translation: the lane surface has quite a bit of wear due to inordinate amounts of friction between ball and lane over many years) Anvilane. For those aspiring bowlers reading, please take that previous statement to heart. Pre-tournament practice sessions are most advantageous if used to acclimate yourself, not to choose precisely what balls, board, and target you intend to use for 40+ games over a 5-day stretch. Watch how the pins fall, see if one end of the center plays or transitions differently, and even shoot a few spares. Having ideas and a game plan are good. Inflexible, pre-conceived notions are not.

For example, I discovered yesterday that the back part of the lane clearly got tighter as I practiced more, and that the backends appeared to be even tighter than the practice session before me. Perhaps that trend will continue throughout the week. I primarily threw my Ulitmate Inferno and Maxxx Zone, but that does not guarantee I will throw them in Tuesday’s first round. It simply indicates what type of ball may be effective (and by type I don’t necessarily mean Brunswick, but rather the coverstock and core combinations that give me the correct ball path shape going down the lane). However, with some assistance from Rick Benoit, and a little advice from my friend and roommate, Tournament of Champions winner Michael Haugen, Jr., I am confident that my first week on tour will be contested without too much confusion and certainly no fear.

With the cobwebs and rust gone, my focus renewed, my game plan in place, I am now fully prepared for the start of the season. All that’s left is to get out on the lanes and BOWL.