PDA

View Full Version : Motiv Primal Impulse Review

Dugbark
04-11-2012, 11:55 PM
Bowler Stats-Ball Speed 17 MPH Rev Rate-App 275 Axis of Rotation-30 to 60 degrees Axis Tilt 22 degrees Right Handed

The Motive Primal Impluse is designed for medium patterns for those who like the skid/flip reaction. The core is a new design for Motiv and it works as advertised. It pushes through the heads with ease even on semi-burnt heads, and waits to rev up on the back end. The move to the pocket is very angular, and for someone with a higher rev rate than me, the angularity would be even sharper. The change in direction is very sudden. As soon as the ball hits friction, it noticeably slows down and changes direction. The Impluse allows everyone to play very deep and wide angles, which is a completely different look then Motiv has ever presented.

I have successfully used the Impulse playing the track area when the shot was fresh, and as well as in tournament play when the heads have started to go. As long as there is sufficient oil in the heads, which is less then most balls require, the ball will get down the lane and turn the corner. It is a strong addition to tougher condition arsenals. I look forward to throwing it at Nationals this year.

The Impluse, as with all of the recent Motiv releases, does not seem to have a surface preference as it reacted well on all bowling surfaces on which I have used it. The surface of the Thrash takes and holds changes to surface of the ball very well. The ball also holds up very well to repeated use. I had to play with the cover a little to get it to match up to my game, but once I got it matched up, it was a great piece of equipment. Other bowlers have expressed the same experience to me.

If you use this ball as designed on medium oil patterns, it is a very effective ball. It will skate if the oil is too far down lane.

The Impluse gives Motiv a piece of equipment for Motiv believers who wanted a skid/flip ball. I'm very colorblind but I've heard from multiple bowlers that the colors are very interesting.

Dug Barker
Motiv Staff
Bellarmine University Asst Coach
BTM Youth Writer
Ken-Bowl Lanes Youth Director
Positive Coaching Alliance Double Goal Coach