PDA

View Full Version : Motiv Thrash Review

Dugbark
04-11-2012, 11:56 PM
Bowler Stats-Ball Speed 17 MPH Rev Rate-App 275 Axis of Rotation-30 to 60 degrees Axis Tilt 22 degrees Right Handed

The Motive Thrash is designed for medium patterns. The ball performs as advertised. It pushes through the heads with ease as on house shots, revs up in the mid-lanes and makes a strong arc to the pocket. The change in direction is very gradual, especially in comparison to any of the Motiv Assymetricals, as well as the Sigma Tour. The Thrash can cover ample boards to be played straight up the lane, and for those with higher rev rates, can easily be used to open up the lane. For me, this ball plays much better from the track area out. With my lower rev rate the ball has a tendency to true up early when I swing the ball.

I have successfully used the Thrash playing the track area, and with my RICO drilled Thrash, have had great looks on the outside on this year USBC Open pattern on a synthetic surface. As long as there is sufficient oil in the heads and the mids and ample dry down lane the Thrash is an excellent choice for house shots. It is also a strong addition to tougher condition arsenals.

The Thrash, as with all of the recent Motiv releases, does not seem to have a surface preference as it reacted well on all bowling surfaces on which I have used it. The surface of the Thrash takes and holds changes to surface of the ball very well. The ball also holds up very well to repeated use. The ball does what is supposed to do, and different layouts make a larger then normal difference in my observation.

If you use this ball as designed on medium oil patterns, it is a very effective ball. If the heads get dry, it can burn up early, and it will skate if the oil is too far down lane.

The Thrash gives Motiv a piece of equipment for Motiv believers who needed a ball with dull cover but not too strong of a reaction, much like the SX1 was at it's introduction. I'm very colorblind but I've heard from multiple bowlers that the ball is very pleasing to the eye and will give it good shelf appeal.

Dug Barker
Motiv Staff
Bellarmine University Asst Coach
BTM Youth Writer
Ken-Bowl Lanes Youth Director
Positive Coaching Alliance Double Goal Coach