PDA

View Full Version : Interested in league bowling but don't know where to start?

Diefer87
04-12-2012, 09:19 PM
I just started bowling 2 months ago and I'm interested in joining a league. Do I need to have a team in place before I join or do they place me in a team randomly? Where do I go to find out about the leagues available? Do I need to have my own bowling shoes?(I already have a ball that I inherited from my grandfather). Please help this newbie!

billf
04-12-2012, 10:45 PM
Go to your local bowling center and ask about leagues at the counter. Most fall leagues are wrapping up but summer leagues will be starting soon. A lot of teams will be looking for people to help fill them out so don't worry about trying to form a team right away. Some centers include shoes in their league fees while others charge a rental fee. Either way you will eventually want to get your own. A comfortable, familiar fit will help you relax. If you haven't done so already, you will want to get the ball properly fitted to your hand. This will help with your accuracy and comfort level.

got_a_300
04-13-2012, 04:00 PM
Yes as billf said talk to your local bowling center people they can hook you up with
a league it will be a summer league that runs somewhere between 12 and 16 weeks
in average our summer leagues run 16 weeks around here. We just finished up the
winter league and will get 1 week off in between winter and summer leagues not a
very long vacation from all of the frustrations of bowling LOL!!!!!

As for the shoes our center includes them in the league linage if you don't already
own your on shoes. It is best to buy your self at least a cheap pair pair of bowling
shoes to start out with as the center's shoes will not be as good as owning your
own shoes because most of the time they will be sticky or to slick on the bottoms as
most all of the bowling centers shoes are old and worn out.

dgz924s
04-19-2012, 12:56 PM
See if the lanes you have interest in if they have online website. If so click on the league tab and usually they advertise summer leagues, most will have a list of various leagues you could join, find one that sounds interesting to you and inquire. FYI don't enter a PBA experience or Sport league if the house has one, these generally are for advanced bowlers.

As shoes go all houses have rentals whether included in league play or not but I agree with got a 300....best to buy a inexpensive shoe of your own, for me I have never seen a rental shoe that is not sticky or too slick most the latter.

I know in Missouri there is a lot of league play in the summer so you should have little issue getting in and they will place you on a team with an opening so no need to recruit a team on your own, once in you can enjoy the benefits of being a league bowler and get you set up for a league in the winter season.

Lastly I would suggest you take Grandpas ball in to the pro shop and have the pro see if the ball fits you as it should, just because your fingers fit doesn't mean it "fits". Most shops are open in the evening and weekend hours.

Best of luck!

TheJourney
04-21-2012, 11:22 AM
My first season of bowling league about 5 years ago, i just told the center I wanted to bowl but I didn't know anyone to bowl with. I got a call the day before league started saying to come and they would find me a team. Got there, she said there was my team and we were off. That was arguably one of my favorite seasons of bowling. Easily my worst average season but I had a blast. Just join, it'll all work..

Get your ball checked out, make sure it is a proper fit. Some of the entry level bowling balls aren't to pricey if you need to look into getting a new ball.

Good luck man!