PDA

View Full Version : Deciding between 3 balls

dgz924s
04-23-2012, 01:49 PM
I have been in the market for a new ball and have it down to the Defiant, Vivid and Nexus P+R. My first ball was the Storm Fast Pearl and I liked it until the coverstock split wide open so I am hesistant to go w/Storm. The Defiant sounds like a great choice to add to my IT but it takes second due to aesthetics, red is my choice color, purple not so much. So that puts the Nexus up front but I am unclear if it will be the correct choice based on my low rev rate, moderately low speed (14-15.5 mph) range. Reviews on the Defiant have it ok for low revs/speed, perhaps I should break from my trademark red ball collection? Hummmm something ponder I guess.

But back to the Nexus. I have not seen a review that brings up the low rev issue so I question you,do you think this ball will do well for my style?

jaydee
04-23-2012, 03:10 PM
I wouldn't let the coverstock crack in your first Storm ball alter your decision. I've heard that Storm outsourced the pouring some of there lower end balls to another company (900G?), and that there coverstocks are thinner than their mid and high end stuff, like the Vivid.

For what its worth, Storm owns and pours the equipment for Roto Grip, so treat them as one in the same.

Of the three balls you listed, they are all high end, most hooking, top of the line products from each respective brand. They serve pretty much the same purpose. They are slightly different, but I wouldn't classify any as "better" than any other. I've heard great things about all of them and a few bad things about all of them.

DanielMareina
04-23-2012, 03:23 PM
Coverstock cracks happen for many reasons, but they are not common. You will be missing out on some great equipment if you rule out all Storm and Roto Grip equipment. The Defiant is a technological advance in core design, and has a great coverstock. Between the Three I would go with the Defiant for sure. It reads the lane amazingly well, and makes a powerful move. It doesn't jump when the lane starts to dry out, so it gives a bowler a lot of wiggle room as the lane transitions. The Nexus is 2nd place, and the Vivid third. Nothing against the Vivid, but the other two have had a lot more success so far, so they are trustworthy balls. All three are a far leap from the Storm Fast, so there will be some adjustment time needed. Best of luck to you!

jaydee
04-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Also for what it's worth, I would probably going with the Defiant between the three of them as well. It's been out a little longer and I would consider it more proven then the other two. Just want to clarify that they other pieces aren't bad by any means.

billf
04-23-2012, 03:46 PM
I have had issues with Storm/Roto-Grip but never their equipment. Don't let one cracked cover stock affect this decision. I have a Nexxus and absolutely love it. My rev rate is 365 so it's not real high. My ex-brother-in-law uses my Nexxus and his rev rate is 250. He also loves the ball. The Defiant is a beautiful beast and if not for what I encountered just before purchasing new equipment, I would have at least one right now. The Vivid, from what I have seen with low rev players, tends to leave more corner pins than the other two.
One of the guys in my area has about 150 games on his Vivid. For the first time in yeas he didn't break 200 in a game last week. I have never seen so many (relative) pocket splits before. that being said, I also can not attest to how well he actually takes care of his equipment but I have never seen him clean a ball after use.
Another guy with low revs bought a Defiant and uses it on a THS. It took him awhile to move left a few boards and was disappointed with the ball until he did, then he loved it.

All these balls are great just don't be afraid to throw them outside quite a bit more. Most bowlers ignore them but boards 1-5 are legal to use:cool:

dgz924s
04-23-2012, 05:01 PM
I am fairly brand loyal so the thought of casting Storm aside is not likely. I went to Roto Grip for the second ball knowing it is a Storm product and at the time the IT was the best ball for me, won a gold medal using it. But now I have improved my game and ready for a bit more aggressive ball and the Defiant came to my attention. Then I read up on the Nexxus and that too sounded like a good choice and the fact it is red just made the decision a tough one.:) Ok color should not be a deciding factor, I get it, but purple is my least favorite color. My line of thought was the same as you guys on Vivid being the least favored, Defiant the first.

In regards to the Fast I really think the issue stemmed from a narrow bridge creating a hairline crack then temperature change broke it wide open and not a Storm related issue, that said it is hard to actually determine the real cause which made me a bit hesitant for no real reason, call it a bad feeling of uncertainty.

In regards to using the 1-5 boards, I use them often so no issue there.

Thanks guys!!!

DanielMareina
04-23-2012, 05:22 PM
I have a crossroad drilled with my ring finger hitting the pin before I get through the coverstock, and it hasn't cracked. Because I don't pay for my equipment, I can risk things like that. But out of the 8 or so balls I have drilled way closer to the pin than they recommend, and never having a crack in any of them, you are probably safe. To tell you the truth, I don't see many cracks in any reactive equipment anymore without severe temperature changes or mishandlings. Skinny bridges or non-beveled holes are the most common causes I see. That is the driller's fault, not the manufacturer. Not saying that any of those reasons were true for your fast, just my experience drilling balls talking.

dgz924s
04-23-2012, 06:38 PM
I agree Daniel, the reason being the driller. He is new to drilling and I think he cut it too close. Hard to measure post beveling but I believe the bridge was less than 1/4" to start out. Again it was real close so it is hard to say it was the real cause. I have a new very experienced driller now so I am sure that will not happen again.....Now that 45 mph ball I roll is another thing!;)....Thanks!

striker12
04-23-2012, 10:08 PM
the balls you cant figure out withc one to get you should go with the defiant its a agressive ball,

me i never had a full choice on what brand i wanted and went with all kinds when i got my first c300 ball witch i liked the freeze works well for me cause im a high rev bowler but then when i got the DV8 hell raiser revenge from here i got it drilled and know im all DV8 and c300 cause i like both those brands i also got a new ball the DV8 too reckless soo i got a mid performace ball.

but im going to be getting a enw ball too it will be a 900 global the nuts not sure if i willg et the pearl or solid, but im getting that brand cause i have never threw 900 global befor and my proshop has both of them and he has them for show mostly but he will only ever sell them too 3 bowlers that go into his proshop me and 2 others cause we can controll the power of the ball and we know how to get it drilled i get mine drilled agressive cause i can adjust my speed to the lane conditon