PDA

View Full Version : Hardest hitting (newer) ball?

NickinND
04-25-2012, 08:48 PM
I just got back into bowling regularly after a 2 year hiatus due to $$$ reasons among others. But now am in a new place and don't know any other serious bowlers here - Williston, ND. You may have heard about it on the news once or twice -- there is oil here ;) Anyways.

I'm finally ready for an equipment upgrade and with where I am at right now, I am looking for your opinions on the hardest hitting ball out there right now. I am looking for insance down&out deflections...miraculous messengers.

I'd especially appreciate any opinions from someone that has owned a Morich Awesome Finish. Out of the 10 balls I've owned in the last 5 years, that one hit the hardest - or at least noticeably so. I have the layout on all my stuff - for length and backend.

NOT looking for massive hooker. I think you get it.

Currently I am considering the following: Hy-Road, CrossRoad, Taboo, and a Lane1 Chainsaw.

What say the boards???? Thanks in advance.

hoppy1605
04-25-2012, 09:18 PM
nano, anarchy, and marvel pearl!

billf
04-25-2012, 09:31 PM
I like my Hy-Road but it isn't even my top 5 hardest hitting ball. The DV8 balls hit harder than any others I have thrown or seen. Their entry level ball, The Misfit, even out hits the Hy-Road. Storm's Modern Marvel Pearl hits hard too. Personally, i was disappointed in the hitting power of the Crossroad.
I took a DV8 Hellraiser Revenge, drilled pin up, put seven coats of polish on it after 4000 grit abralon and play straight up the 3 board with it. It's like a cement mixer. Whatever pins that don't fly around the deck come out onto the lane.

NickinND
04-25-2012, 10:51 PM
I like my Hy-Road but it isn't even my top 5 hardest hitting ball. The DV8 balls hit harder than any others I have thrown or seen. Their entry level ball, The Misfit, even out hits the Hy-Road. Storm's Modern Marvel Pearl hits hard too. Personally, i was disappointed in the hitting power of the Crossroad.
I took a DV8 Hellraiser Revenge, drilled pin up, put seven coats of polish on it after 4000 grit abralon and play straight up the 3 board with it. It's like a cement mixer. Whatever pins that don't fly around the deck come out onto the lane.

- 7 coats of polish?! Now that's what I'm talking about. That was an honest (sounding) endorsement. Thanks

Stormed1
04-26-2012, 09:10 AM
I have recently switched my arsenal to Motiv and I will say they have the best continuation through the pins of any ball i have thrown in years. It may have to do with their larger coreslike youe MoRich ball has

The Mayor
04-26-2012, 09:18 AM
How hard a ball hits isn't a trait that will be the same from bowler to bowler with a specific ball. A ball will "hit hard" for you if you are able to create the correct angle into the pocket and get the ball to go through the pins correctly. You've got to find a ball and layout that match up with your game and what type of reaction you're looking for. That being said, there are bowling balls on the market that match up with more people than others. Storm Marvel Pearl, Frantic and Vivid - DV8 Hell Raiser Revenge - Roto Grip Outlaw, Critical Theory and Defiant - Brunswick C System versa-max. In my opinion the Marvel Pearl is the best all-around ball on the market. Go to a pro shop, have them find your PAP, tell them what you're looking for the ball to do. They should be able to help you find a layout and ball that matches. We can also help you make the best choice possible (and that doesn't mean yelling out what the best ball for you is).

jaydee
04-27-2012, 10:40 AM
I've got a couple of those balls, the Hy-Road and the Chainsaw. "Hardest hitting" is kind of hard to quantify, so I'll just talk about ball motion and conditions.

Hy-Road is a medium oil piece that's my "flippiest" ball. It's too weak for fresh oil with med-heavy volume on synthetic lanes, but by the 3rd game it's got chance. Makes a real hard turn towards the pins. I do have a problem leaving corner pins with it at times though, perhaps because of the large entry angle it creates.

Chainsaw is a great ball for dry conditions. For my league on older wood lanes, with light volume of oil, it's my best piece. Smooth, predictable and good carry when everyone else is struggling with stronger equipment. Any more oil than that though, it's too weak.

That being said, both of these balls have been discontinued, so I don't think you're going to find any new. Not sure what your plan is if you really intend on getting one of the two.

As far as bang for the buck, I think I'd try to get my hands on a Seismic Aftermath solid. I've got the pearl version and I really like it. It's going for ~$100 new because it's being discontinued getting ready for new stuff. They aren't sold at as many distributors though, you'd have to do some searching, or Private Message me I can direct you to a place.

striker12
04-27-2012, 02:48 PM
if i where you i would look at the track balls they are nice and have good carry down me i have throw a few of them jsut for tests but not good enoph for me i got too much speed soo i went with the DV8 hell raiser revenge and every time it hits the pins it sounds like a granade has just went off down the lane.

but much louder then any of ball i ahve thrown and i can make it hit hard will any ball i throw even my plastic ball and my urathane ball.

soo it jsut come down too what you think will do the trick cause you should msotly talk to your proshop about opstions that people here give you but also take in what he thinks you should get and figure something out.

JaMau24
04-27-2012, 04:08 PM
I'm loving the Vivid so far just for the few games I'm thrown with it. It's hitting real hard. My NeXXus f(P+R) still hits hard too.

striker12
04-27-2012, 05:36 PM
i want to get a nexxus and the vivid i have heard great thing about them ....couph jamau couph...... lol but i want to trythem for my self and see what i can do with them

MICHAEL
04-28-2012, 09:38 AM
I have seen JaMau24 throw both his new NeXXus f(P+R), and his new Vivid. I would have to say the Vivid hits MUCH harder, and seems to leave less 10 pins, (if any)! I bowl with him practice every friday. And WOW strike after strike with the new Vivid. Jason is a cranker, and throws a pretty ball. It was drilled by a alley pro that knows how to get the most out of the ball in regards to your style of bowling. If you live in the North Kansas City Area I would higly recomend this pro, and the Vivid ball! It kicks like a Mule, but smells like a mint!

MICHAEL
05-04-2012, 11:02 PM
UNDEFEATED!! Turns pins to dust!! I have to throw it half speed in order not to do damage (:)

resstealth
05-06-2012, 03:18 AM
if i where you i would look at the track balls they are nice and have good carry down me i have throw a few of them jsut for tests but not good enoph for me i got too much speed soo i went with the DV8 hell raiser revenge and every time it hits the pins it sounds like a granade has just went off down the lane.

but much louder then any of ball i ahve thrown and i can make it hit hard will any ball i throw even my plastic ball and my urathane ball.

soo it jsut come down too what you think will do the trick cause you should msotly talk to your proshop about opstions that people here give you but also take in what he thinks you should get and figure something out.

You went with the DV8 because you got it for free off of here, don't try to play coy with us striker ;)

billf
05-06-2012, 04:33 PM
You went with the DV8 because you got it for free off of here, don't try to play coy with us striker ;)

I won the Nexxus and love the ball but NOTHING hits like DV8

Etrain
05-06-2012, 08:49 PM
dv8 hellraiser revenge is a beast! it turns violently. If u want hook look into that. i have a 14lb that im going to refinish because its to much for me

eugene02
05-16-2012, 06:48 AM

how do you put 7 coats of polish ? how do you polish your ball if you don't have a spinner?

billf
05-16-2012, 09:11 AM
how do you put 7 coats of polish ? how do you polish your ball if you don't have a spinner?

Here's how I did it. Only had a handful of throws on it at the time.
1. Wait til the wife leaves the house
2. Clean out the kitchen sink real good.
3. Put ball in sink
4. Slowly run warm water keeping ball and abralon pad wet.
5. Sand entire ball with 4000 grit abralon pad
6. Dry ball with clean microfiber towel.
7. Using a clean towel applied first coat of polish. Let it dry.
8. Remove polish. I used a 6" palm buffer but can be done by hand.
9. Repeat steps 7 & 8 six more times.

MICHAEL
05-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Billf what weight is that DV8 hellraiser ?? Do you think that might help my vivid? I have been told its losing its power before it gets to the pins, do to not enough oil... even tho, it has oil all over it when it gets back form the pins?? This ball is a real enigma for me.. I have to stand way right, and hit in between the 1 and second arrow to get it to hook mildly into the pocket,,,.. I will figure it out with the help of the people here... I am in love with the SMELL..... I might stink throwing it, but its just because IMHO, I am doing something wrong!! Or the ball is not dressed up right for our oil condition...

JaMau24
05-16-2012, 07:59 PM
Billf what weight is that DV8 hellraiser ?? Do you think that might help my vivid? I have been told its losing its power before it gets to the pins, do to not enough oil... even tho, it has oil all over it when it gets back form the pins?? This ball is a real enigma for me.. I have to stand way right, and hit in between the 1 and second arrow to get it to hook mildly into the pocket,,,.. I will figure it out with the help of the people here... I am in love with the SMELL..... I might stink throwing it, but its just because IMHO, I am doing something wrong!! Or the ball is not dressed up right for our oil condition...

Sounds like it is hooking as much as your alien.. which is barely any hook. Like I said, I'm interested to throw it on Friday to see how it reacts for me, and see how much less it reacts than my Vivid. If all else fails, you can hang it from your mirror in your vehicle as an air freshener. Just don't slam on the breaks, you'll run the risk of obliterating your windshield

MICHAEL
05-16-2012, 08:13 PM
Jason,,,,, in all fairness... can pick up any ball, any weight, ((( I 've see him)))) and throw strikes!! He has a gift!! I have that undefeated,,, my hands are much bigger then his with a wider span, and he throw like... 5 strikes in a role!!! On a good day,,, he is one Tough Cookie to beat.... !! He even throw my 16lbs old Titannium... and made it look good!

billf
05-16-2012, 10:17 PM
All my DV8s are 15lbs. and I don't think the weight is the issue you're having. The pattern very well could be the factor. It seems only the real low rev people can get away with using a heavy oil ball in lighter conditions. Next time see if they will give you the specs on what pattern they put out and take notes of how your ball reacts. Oil on the ball just means there is oil on the lane and doesn't really tell you how thick it is or where it is.
Good crankers can overpower the lane condition with speed. Good strokers and tweeners seem to get affected more by lane conditions.

eugene02
05-17-2012, 12:33 AM
3. Put ball in sink

something really unfortunate in my country, Singapore.. WE DON'T HAVE WARM/HOT WATER FROM THE SINK!!!!

eugene02
05-17-2012, 12:35 AM
3. Put ball in sink

What polish do you use? and.. what's a 6" palm buffer??

billf
05-18-2012, 10:33 AM
I use Brunswick rough buff polish on my HRR. A 6" palm buffer is an automotive buffer with a 6" buffing pad.

eugene02
05-18-2012, 10:55 AM
I use Brunswick rough buff polish on my HRR. A 6" palm buffer is an automotive buffer with a 6" buffing pad.

okay.. try to find a similar one..