PDA

View Full Version : How can I change my axis tilt?

billf
04-25-2012, 10:22 PM
I have read numerous articles on rotation and how to vary it. All I can find on tilt is that you want the least tilt possible but nothing on how to change it. When my rotation is less than 40 degrees or greater than 80 degrees my tilt is less than 10 degrees. However, between those my tilt is around 30 degrees. Any suggestions? Cool links or pictures?

martin
04-25-2012, 11:15 PM
axis tilt or axis rotation?

J Anderson
04-26-2012, 12:37 AM
axis tilt or axis rotation?
If I'm reading Bill's post correctly he would like to reduce his axis tilt. From other posts we know that he uses a variety of releases that vary his axis rotation. It seems that at the extremes of very little rotation or a lot rotation he has the side effect of reduced tilt.

billf
04-26-2012, 08:49 AM
John, that is correct. The extremes of rotation have very little tilt but it's the middle area that I have excessive tilt. It never bothered me but Joe Slowinski and Ron Clifton both say to keep tilt to a minimum. I know the lower the tilt the easier it is for the ball to go smooth and read the lanes more consistently. If it's something that I can learn to manipulate then why not?

bowl1820
04-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Changing tilt is harder to do than changing rotation.

When you increase tilt you are reducing track size and when you decrease tilt your enlarging it.
You can see this looking at a axis tilt chart.
http://innovativebowling.com/assets/images/ImportanceOfTilt900.jpg

Axis tilt is determined by the position of the thumb during the release. There are also those that say you can change it by how you cock your hand, this would affect the position of your thumb also.

JerseyJim
04-26-2012, 12:36 PM
According to Joe Slowinski, you can change your axis tilt using one, or a combo of three things. Cocking the wrist, cupping the ball and/or tucking the pinky. I know he explains it in his Bowler Reference System book, and I remember an article from a few years ago about this subject in Bowling this Month.

billf
04-26-2012, 02:32 PM
I will have to re-read that article Jim. I remember him talking about tucking the pinky, etc and how it affects down lane reaction but don't recall him saying it affects tilt. Thank you.

martin
04-26-2012, 10:43 PM
what does changing axis tilt do anyway?

billf
04-27-2012, 08:09 AM
The least amount of tilt allows the ball the read the lanes easier thereby creating a smoothing arc towards the pocket. That should increase most people's accuracy.

bowl1820
04-27-2012, 10:47 AM
what does changing axis tilt do anyway?

The less axis tilt you have, the sooner the ball will go into a roll. This helps on oilier lanes by letting it read the lane earlier.

Higher degrees of axis tilt will promote skid. This helps on lanes that are drier, the ball will go farther down the lane and retain more energy.

martin
04-27-2012, 10:14 PM
how can i check my axis tilt & axis rotation? any help?

J Anderson
04-27-2012, 10:30 PM
how can i check my axis tilt & axis rotation? any help?

If you measure the oil track on your ball you can use the axis tilt chart that Bowl1820 posted and figure it out. Rotation is tougher. I think most people just eyeball it, maybe with a piece of tape on the P.A.P.

billf
04-27-2012, 11:04 PM
A piece of tape on the PAP, record it and play it back frame by frame. Take and mark straight lines from zero and the tape then use a protractor. I do the same but with a longer piece of tape to figure tilt.

billf
04-29-2012, 09:15 PM
Turns out my tilt is fine for my releases. With the sharper hook, some tilt is normal and necessary. With a bigger hook (20 boards or more) up to 40 degrees of tilt is acceptable with 20 degrees at the low end.

martin
04-30-2012, 12:31 AM
i see.. thanks