PDA

View Full Version : HOLE in ONE or 300 game!

MICHAEL
04-28-2012, 04:45 PM
Which do you think the odds are in doing!
I would say its pretty close, but maybe the hole in one would slightly edge out the 300 game.
Both are remarkably hard, but I wonder what odds Vegas would give on both?

bowl1820
04-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Odds of making a hole in one
# Tour player making an ace: 3,000 to 1
# Low-handicapper making an ace: 5,000 to 1
# Average player making an ace: 12,000 to 1

The odds for a average bowler shooting a 300 are about 1 in 11,500

So there both about the same.

JaMau24
04-28-2012, 05:32 PM
Getting a 300 requires a certain amount of skill. Sure, you can get a "lucky" 300, but you still have to be "good" to bowl a 300. You can be considered a horrible golfer and get a hole in one. I think just about every hole in one is pure luck. The greatest golfers in the world do everything they can to get the ball on the green and close to the hole. For it to actually go in the hole is just pure luck.

MICHAEL
04-29-2012, 06:07 PM
YOU are wise beyond your years Jason, son....grasshopper!! Much wisdom in your words....(:)

striker12
04-29-2012, 08:24 PM
i think i got lucky i both sports i have shot a 300 due to alot of luck and pin action and i have got a hole in 1 and i was not even trying too i was jsut having fun just 1 handed the swing and got it in, my jaw droped and still looking at gettign a hole in 1 but the 300 i was happy but also left the 10pin but lucky for pin action

MICHAEL
04-30-2012, 12:46 AM
My dad is a pretty good golfer. He is 84 and still plays in the low 80's to high 70s. He always carries his bag on his shoulder, a walks the 18 holes. He plays with several
retired friends from TWA. He plays 5 days a week, and has since his retirement. Plays in the winter too, if no snow. He has only had ONE HOLE IN ONE in his whole life. So yes he has skill's but there is just a lot of luck involved. Two throw 12 strikes in a role, to me is much more skill involved. So regardless what the odds are, luck plays a biger role in gold then bowling in my opinion. He has a grandson that has had TWO holes in one, and he is just 15, and has not been playing that long. So any one that does a 300 game, used a lot of skill to achieve that score!!! And my hat goes off to all of you.. There is not nearly as much LUCK involved in your achievment!!!

The Mayor
04-30-2012, 08:14 AM
We're not talking about putt putt Striker lol

MICHAEL
04-30-2012, 10:59 PM
Odds are one thing! Skill another! A young kid in his teens, like my sisters son can make two hole in ones. Was that skill? That same youn man bowels and has for
years, and no 300 or even 600 series! I think there is a big differance between the two sports in that regards. I think it takes much more skill in bowling staying ahead of the oil breaking down, picking different spots/speed/ ect ect... And do that 12 times !! Golf... you hit it in the general direction of the flag, and then odds come to play. Bowlers Rule!!

The Mayor
05-01-2012, 08:29 AM
If we're talking about beginners to either sport, a 300 is more difficult to do than a hole in one. It's possible to get lucky and hit the ball in the right place. However, if you take the highest professionals at each sport, it's easier to bowl a 300 than hit a hole in one. Arnold Palmer hit 19 holes in one, Walter Ray has over 80 300s in PBA competition. Both are a great accomplishment!

J Anderson
05-01-2012, 09:13 AM
If we're talking about beginners to either sport, a 300 is more difficult to do than a hole in one. It's possible to get lucky and hit the ball in the right place. However, if you take the highest professionals at each sport, it's easier to bowl a 300 than hit a hole in one. Arnold Palmer hit 19 holes in one, Walter Ray has over 80 300s in PBA competition. Both are a great accomplishment!

Arnold Palmer is perhaps the greatest ambassador that Golf has ever had. Obviously he was a great golfer, and remained a threat to win after his physical prime was past, but few people call him the greatest golfer ever. In Bowling there's Walter Ray, there's Earl, and then there's everyone else.

The other thing is a PBA tournament consists of dozens of games any one of which could be a 300. A PGA tournament consists of what? 72 holes, of which only a few are par threes which gives the pro golfer fewer chances for a hole-in-one.

striker12
05-01-2012, 01:18 PM
the mayor im not talkign about putting eather i mean really golfing the hole was only 160 yards away and i got it but idk how me and my buddys where just having fun but one thing i did due that day when i tryed the 1 handing again the club went farther then the ball did but when i did it i did not jsut stand ther and swing and hit i walked up and swung and hit it so it had abit more force on the hit,

dont ask me about putting i suck at it, took me 13 hits on the green to get the ball in putting i suck at putting i rather hit the ball a good distance

billf
05-01-2012, 01:33 PM
In bowling a strike is the goal of every frame. Not true in golf. Even on a par 3 a player will typically lay up just to ensure a greater percentage of achieving the hole under par. Now I wonder how many pro golfers could/would make the par 3s in one stroke if they didn't play it safe. With golf, if you miss when trying the spectacular the results can be drastic where as in bowling you just have to pick up the spare. I can't compare the two, it's apples and oranges.

MICHAEL
05-01-2012, 02:14 PM
The comparison I would make is this: 1. One average to above average bowler or golfer
2. The golfer is between the peg's on a 180 yard par 3
3. The bowler has a non house oil pattern, lets say the shark!
The golfer just keeps hitting until it goes in the cup, removing each ball after it does not enter hole
The bowler just keeps bowling games starting with the 1st frame, until he gets 12 in a role, but has to start over each time his string is broken.
We would also have to have more then one of each, and to make it fair men and women, lets say 100 of each.
now which would be the most changeling of the scenarios..... probably has never been, nor will ever be done, but if I had the money to waste, it would
be fun to try!
I think in the end it would be about the same degree of difficulty...

That would be the only fair way to see which is the harder of the two to accomplish, (IMHO). But then what do I know, I am new to this, but wow have I got the bug!!!