PDA

View Full Version : Scored some used balls, info needed.

swingset
04-28-2012, 11:03 PM
I happened upon a sale where someone bought out a bowling alley and had 80+ balls, ranging from houseballs to what was left in the pro-shop. I picked through and found the best condition, newest looking stuff and gave $25 for 5 balls! The guy even threw in a few new pins, figure I can make a cool lamp for the man cave out of those.

I got a purple Ebonite NitroR/2 reactive, an Ebonite Stinger 2-piece (dark red/blue pearl), a Blue Fab/Hammer, a new undrilled Yellow Dot and a 10lb White Dot for my kiddo.

All are in good shape, with a thumb change and new inserts the two Ebonites and the Hammer will be easy to fit to me. However, other than the Blue Hammer I have no clue about their performance, age, or what I could expect. Obviously, for as little as I paid it's worth the gamble but does anyone know what the scoop on the Ebonites? The Yellow Dot will be given away to a friend who's in need of a spare ball, but I'm curious about the others.

bowl1820
04-28-2012, 11:36 PM
I had the Org. Nitro R-2 that's from back in late 90's. Symmetrical core, Solid. I believe there was also a re-release version R-2 Classic about the mid 2000's. It came sanded was a good med. condition ball back then. I liked it and used it a lot.

The Stingers are from early 2000's, Sym. core there are 2 -2 piece ones the low flare is a particle ball and the low flare pearl is a reactive pearl.

Now I had the org. Blue Faball Hammer back in the late 90's, (Norm Dukes main ball back then.) Good urethane ball. The Faball hammers were great ball's, the org. burgundy hammer is one of the best urethane balls.

You didn't get hurt for $25 the Nitro and hammer are worth that.

got_a_300
04-29-2012, 04:08 AM
You didn't get hurt for $25 the Nitro and hammer are worth that.

I agree 100% with that the old NitroR/2 was worth the $25.00 alone IMO or the Hammer was well
alone worth what you paid for all of them so no you didn't get hurt on that deal.

bowl1820
04-29-2012, 07:57 AM
Update- Sorry I had the Classic, my brother in law had a Original.

Heres mine had pic.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/aloarjr810/bowlingballs/ebo_nr2_class.jpg

J Anderson
04-29-2012, 08:59 AM
I happened upon a sale where someone bought out a bowling alley and had 80+ balls, ranging from houseballs to what was left in the pro-shop. I picked through and found the best condition, newest looking stuff and gave $25 for 5 balls! The guy even threw in a few new pins, figure I can make a cool lamp for the man cave out of those.

I got a purple Ebonite NitroR/2 reactive, an Ebonite Stinger 2-piece (dark red/blue pearl), a Blue Fab/Hammer, a new undrilled Yellow Dot and a 10lb White Dot for my kiddo.

All are in good shape, with a thumb change and new inserts the two Ebonites and the Hammer will be easy to fit to me. However, other than the Blue Hammer I have no clue about their performance, age, or what I could expect. Obviously, for as little as I paid it's worth the gamble but does anyone know what the scoop on the Ebonites? The Yellow Dot will be given away to a friend who's in need of a spare ball, but I'm curious about the others.

I never had one but from what I've read, the yellow dot was slightly softer ( more traction ) than the white dot. If you watch any of the old PBA events from just before the urethane era, quite a few pros used these as their strike ball. Might still work pretty well on really dry lanes.