PDA

View Full Version : No finger inserts

edpup316
05-05-2012, 03:59 PM
I noticed recently after going to a few pba regionals and watching more bowling on tv that a lot of of the bowlers their dont have the rubber finger inserts. So its still drilled with a finger tip layout just now inserts. Any one know why someone would do this and when/if they should change to it?

bowl1820
05-05-2012, 05:39 PM
I noticed recently after going to a few pba regionals and watching more bowling on tv that a lot of of the bowlers their dont have the rubber finger inserts. So its still drilled with a finger tip layout just now inserts. Any one know why someone would do this and when/if they should change to it?

IMO it's mostly personal preference, the type of feel the bowler gets. There's no major pro or con for using or not using finger inserts.

I like the feel of the vinyl grips, I get a little more grip and there's a cushioning feel to the fingers. Plus you can get a contoured hole without having to have the hole milled.

I don't like silicone grips though, I feel like I'm going to burn my fingertips off from the friction you get from them. I also use a thumb insert, because my thumb wanted to stick to the coverstock when resin first came out.

Admittedly grips do wear out and you have to replace them. There's also the theory that the glue is what cause's cracking around the finger holes(Do to a exothermic reaction). But I've never seen a authoritative article saying that is the cause.

Also some feel that inserts tear their fingers up. Also those that go without inserts feel they get a more consistent feel.

striker12
05-06-2012, 06:46 AM
yeah i use to use finger tip without the grips awhile ago just got into useing grips but for my plastic ball i still dont use grips cause i think it feel better and much better/streghter releases with out grips

martin
05-06-2012, 11:28 PM
my reactive ball uses finger inserts, but none on my spare ball.. feels the same to me.. :D