PDA

View Full Version : Can we play hook with 12 lbs ball?

biskutmarie
05-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Hi ALL,
Cuurently i'm using 12.6 lbs Ebonite Cyclone.
I can see it hooks a bit. But if I want to improve my hook, can I use this ball?
I'm a beginner in hook. before I play spinner.
Please advice.

martin
05-10-2012, 11:38 PM
any ball can hook if we do it properly.. that's what i think.. but maybe 12 lbs is a little light to get consistant strikes? maybe some others can enlighten on that..

JaMau24
05-11-2012, 12:10 AM
12 pound balls will leave 5 pins, and 8-10 splits more often on a nice pocket shot.

biskutmarie
05-11-2012, 12:23 AM
12 pound balls will leave 5 pins, and 8-10 splits more often on a nice pocket shot.

ok... i need to improve my technique first. before thinking to get heavier ball.... some people say that 12 lbs ball's core is not like the 14 lbs core. is it right?

Etrain
05-11-2012, 01:29 AM
ok... i need to improve my technique first. before thinking to get heavier ball.... some people say that 12 lbs ball's core is not like the 14 lbs core. is it right?

it depends on the actuall ball,

i personally wouldnt recomend anything under 14lbs unless your physically not capable
(most pros use 14-16lbs)

bowl1820
05-11-2012, 07:25 AM

Most balls once they drop to 11 or 12 pound or less, change to just a generic core. It's said that once a ball gets below that weight, the hi-tech core doesn't make that much of a difference.

But If you watch there are some balls that do have the hi-tech core though, you just have to check.

As for weight you might should read this article by Ron Clifton.

Click here for "WHAT WEIGHT BALL? COULD 14 LBS BE YOUR "SWEET WEIGHT"?" (http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip14.htm)

martin
05-12-2012, 12:30 AM
http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip14.htm

based on this, maybe biskutmarie can try the wrist test ron clifton suggests with a 14 lb ball to see if it's too heavy.. if not, then 14 lb would be best.. if it's too heavy, then maybe go with a 13 lb ball.. i just think 12 lb is too light..

slmrcs
05-12-2012, 07:45 PM
There are a lot of variables in terms of your game, and what weight you can handle, which not getting into. Myself, I have several 15 lb balls, and a 13 lb (bought for $10 as experiment to play with different weight/drilling). it does not effect hook at all, but definitely carry. 13 lbs with good roll will carry pocked strikes as well as 15, but not light hits. 13 lbs may strike better coming in too high (but that' my game, where I've been playing), however light hits leave, 5 pins, and lots of 5 - 7 splits. dont know how much another pound lower will effect carry. But, as far hook, it's much easier to turn wrist around a lighter weight, so if anything it may give increased revs and more hook.

Josch
05-12-2012, 07:58 PM
I see nothing wrong with learning how to hook with your Cyclone. I learned how to hook with my 13lb Cyclone. The Cyclone's core is designed to help bowlers learn how to hook. According to Ebonite's website all weights of the Cyclone have the same core. I recently got a much more agressive ball (Hammer Rhythm) but I still use my cyclone for drier lane conditions.

kev3inp
05-14-2012, 02:28 PM
I have the utmost respect for Ron Clifton as a coach. He's a nice guy in general and I'd recommend attending the Gathering to have the opportunity to work with him for free. His clinics are worth every penny, too. The guy knows game. That being said, because of "political" considerations we won't be attending this year, but I will be sending the spinner I won this year as a prize for the Gathering.

MICHAEL
05-15-2012, 12:29 AM
Most balls once they drop to 11 or 12 pound or less, change to just a generic core. It's said that once a ball gets below that weight, the hi-tech core doesn't make that much of a difference.
But If you watch there are some balls that do have the hi-tech core though, you just have to check.
As for weight you might should read this article by Ron

There are so many different typs of hi tech cores out there? Is there not a Best Core? Why all the different shapes? Is it a gimmick, or do all the different shapes make a huge differance? Is the core more about weight and placement inside the ball? With out the core, but a great cover stock, does a ball work the same way. What is the core made of is it regulated...the substance its composed of?

J Anderson
05-15-2012, 04:26 PM
As for weight you might should read this article by Ron

There are so many different typs of hi tech cores out there? Is there not a Best Core? Why all the different shapes? Is it a gimmick, or do all the different shapes make a huge differance? Is the core more about weight and placement inside the ball? With out the core, but a great cover stock, does a ball work the same way. What is the core made of is it regulated...the substance its composed of?

Is there a best core? No. There may be a best core for the way you throw on the conditions that you normally play on, but there is no single "Best" core for all bowlers.
Why? Competition. There are three big companies, Ebonite, Brunswick, and Storm and a number of smaller companies like Morich, Lanemasters, etc. all competing to sell more bowling balls. The are paying engineers and chemists to come up with new cores and coverstocks to try to get an edge on their competitors.
Is it a gimmick? No, as I understand it, the core influences the shape of the hook.
With out the core, but a great cover stock, does a ball work the same way? Two different cores + same coverstock = two different reactions. Same core + two different coverstocks = two even mare different reactions.
Is the core regulated? Only by the fact that the overall weight of the ball must be less than 16# and that the static balance must be within certain limits.

Florida Bowler
05-15-2012, 04:44 PM
I learned to hook with a 12# plastic ball. It was a small hook, but I learned control and also learned the value of picking up the spare.

-DJ

eugene02
05-16-2012, 06:44 AM
I learned to hook with a 12# plastic ball. It was a small hook, but I learned control and also learned the value of picking up the spare.

-DJ

before i got my bowling ball, i was playing the no-thumb style.. which made me inconsistent.. thn i bought my own ball and now i'm using the normal way.. but still haven get a full catch.. after reading the forum here, gonna try maybe tmr or the day after the new style they taught in here!

jaydee
05-16-2012, 10:59 AM
My wife throws a decent hook with a 12lb ball. It has a much stronger coverstock than your cyclone though (Brunswick Copperhead). A heavier ball was hurting her wrist and she's not a serious bowler, otherwise I would get her something 14lb.