PDA

View Full Version : Shoe Related Question

Jay
05-11-2012, 05:54 AM
We went up to our local house last night to pick up my wife's new ball and to roll a few games so she could get used to it.

There was a moderate-sized league in that night as well which left us way down on 32 out of 32. The previous three visits have been when the house was wide open and we were on a lane in the middle.

I don't have anywhere near enough experience to make a judgement as to why I experienced this, but my left shoe just didn't want to slide very well at all. I threw a couple gutter balls because I ended up "crow hopping" on a couple of approaches. I inspected my sole very carefully and I'm sure I didn't pick up any moisture (that I could see.)

It was a struggle just to match my lowly 150 average. :mad:

So, let me ask those who know better:
1) Can you do anything to your shoe if you find yourself on a lane with a funky approach.
2) What is the best routine for maintaining your sliding sole? Sliding heel?
3) How often should you wire brush your left sole (if at all)?

Thanks All for any 411 you can lay on a rookie.

- Jay

bowl1820
05-11-2012, 07:55 AM
We went up to our local house last night to pick up my wife's new ball and to roll a few games so she could get used to it.

There was a moderate-sized league in that night as well which left us way down on 32 out of 32. The previous three visits have been when the house was wide open and we were on a lane in the middle.

I don't have anywhere near enough experience to make a judgement as to why I experienced this, but my left shoe just didn't want to slide very well at all. I threw a couple gutter balls because I ended up "crow hopping" on a couple of approaches. I inspected my sole very carefully and I'm sure I didn't pick up any moisture (that I could see.)

It was a struggle just to match my lowly 150 average. :mad:

So, let me ask those who know better:
1) Can you do anything to your shoe if you find yourself on a lane with a funky approach.
2) What is the best routine for maintaining your sliding sole? Sliding heel?
3) How often should you wire brush your left sole (if at all)?

Thanks All for any 411 you can lay on a rookie.

- Jay

You didn't say if your using house shoe's or if you have you own. I'll assume you have your own basic bowling shoe.

1)- Yes you can.You can Use a wire brush on the slide shoe, this can either reduce the amount of slide or increase it, if it removes something that's causing you to stick. There are powders that help with slide (But you have to be careful there are rules about using them in competition.) There's a bowlers slide sock which you can put on a shoe that give you more slide. Plus there are some old school tricks most bowlers don't remember or have heard of before. (Like using a pencil on the leading edge of the slide heel for more slide).

2)-That's kind of a personal preference, Like I don't clean the heel off unless there something that shouldn't be there. Because it could make the heel want to stick till you break it back in.

3)-As often as needed.

A lot of times end lanes have the worst approaches. That's where a lot of houses place birthday party's, the open bowlers, they are near the aisle that the lane man uses to go to the back or roll out the lane machine, they are closer to outside doors a lot of the time, so the humidity is different and can make the approach tacky. Middle lanes tend to be better.

The Mayor
05-11-2012, 08:46 AM
Don't forget the old trick of rubbing cigarette ashes on the bottom of your shoe for more slide! lol

There is a product called silicone lubricant spray that you can spray LIGHTLY on the bottom of your shoe for more slide. It dries really fast and works really well.

bowl1820
05-11-2012, 08:52 AM
Don't forget the old trick of rubbing cigarette ashes on the bottom of your shoe for more slide! lol

There is a product called silicone lubricant spray that you can spray LIGHTLY on the bottom of your shoe for more slide. It dries really fast and works really well.

If you try the Silicone Spray -1.do it at home, dont do it at the lanes. 2. Dont spray on the shoe, spray it on a rag and then apply it. ( see USBC Rule 12 and dont get caught)

billf
05-11-2012, 09:03 AM
I have tons of cans of silicone spray at my disposal at work. Thanks for the tip. Maybe that's just what I need seeing as my #8 is too sticky and the #6 too slick.

Jay
05-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the replies folks...

Yes, they are my shoes and they're still very new so perhaps it's simply a question of more use.

Man I'm glad I found this forum!