PDA

View Full Version : how to keep your back swing straight ?

Mi5hka
05-12-2012, 01:45 AM
idk why but when i enter to the back swing, instead of having a some what straight backswing my arm and ball swings behind my back literally..any way in keeping my arm straight ? alo why do ppl twist their wrist sort of at the top of their backswing ? and how can i form that ? seems like having that gives an advantage to having a good hook....

Etrain
05-12-2012, 03:06 AM
idk why but when i enter to the back swing, instead of having a some what straight backswing my arm and ball swings behind my back literally..any way in keeping my arm straight ? alo why do ppl twist their wrist sort of at the top of their backswing ? and how can i form that ? seems like having that gives an advantage to having a good hook....

i twist my wrist on my backswing (not purposely), i didnt realize till i saw video. Do what comes natural on twisting the wrist. Dont purposely try to do it. Just concentrate on keeping your arm swing streight

this video might help (fast foward to 1:08)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5nnDbV0znE&feature=g-vrec

billf
05-12-2012, 11:38 AM
There are varying reasons people swing behind their back. Most of them start from the stance. Where do you hold the ball at the start of your stance? If your wrist is too far in front of your body, say in front of your belly button or sternum, then bio-mechanics will have you swing the ball "C" like fashion around your side. That's the first half of the "C". The second half is, you guessed it, around your back. Couple this with wanting to rotate the wrist and you now have a complete picture. The worst part is, it promotes "chicken winging" and erratic arm swings.
The correction is this: in your stance, place the part of your forearm near your elbow tightly against your side. Use the hinge method shown in the video above and let the ball swing the arm freely. It will naturally come straight back at that point.
For the hook part, slightly cup and turn your wrist in the stance so that your middle finger is facing forward. Lock in this position. On the down swing, as your arm passes your hip, pull your thumb out and then quickly force your fingers down, as if opening your hand. This will allow the swing to have a flat spot so the ball will hit the lane clean, no bouncing. Bouncing is usually a result of too much lift which isn't needed with today's balls. The faster you can learn to perform this action the more revs you will generate. This is a basic, 45 degree rotation release, very controllable and an excellent one to master for all lane conditions. Once mastered then you can work on alternatives to achieve different axis rotations.