PDA

View Full Version : My Thumb Hole is too Big

Josch
05-13-2012, 01:29 AM
I recently got a new ball. While I was waiting for it to be drilled I was bowling for an hour. Once I went into get it the thumb hole was a little to small so the guy opened it up, twice. I had him do the same thing to my spare ball which was slightly smaller than my other ball. I think my thumb was swollen at the time and now both of the balls shift on my thumb a little on the back swing and my thumb comes out a little to early on the release. My other ball is fine. Should I just get bowlers tape and put that in my thumb holes or should I get new thumb slugs?

billf
05-13-2012, 01:43 AM
Tape. Then if it ever swells during the warmer weather or a tournament all you have to do is take some tape out. In case you didn't know, the white tape (with the grip) goes towards the front of the thumb and the black (slick) goes to the back.

Josch
05-13-2012, 01:55 AM
Tape. Then if it ever swells during the warmer weather or a tournament all you have to do is take some tape out. In case you didn't know, the white tape (with the grip) goes towards the front of the thumb and the black (slick) goes to the back.

Thanks for your advice. I'm thinking of picking up this (http://www.bowlingball.com/products/bowling-accessories/bowlingballcom/10024/Protecting-Tape-Beige-Roll.html?lf=cart) from bowlingball.com. It says it's smooth so I'll put it at the back of my thumb hole. I doubt the pro shop I go to can beat 33 ft. for $16. Have you or anyone else here ever used this tape?

billf
05-13-2012, 01:59 AM
I do all the time. Here's a link to a round table discussion with the first question being about tape
http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/stories/roundtablejune10.pdf

Josch
05-13-2012, 03:07 AM
I noticed what I was looking at is protecting tape. Is it still okay to use for the thumb hole?

billf
05-13-2012, 08:59 AM
Personally, I use the protective tape for my fingers at times and find it too abrasive for my thumb. I have also tried electrical tape :eek: and that was too slick moving in the ball when warm.

bowl1820
05-13-2012, 10:18 AM
Personally, I use the protective tape for my fingers at times and find it too abrasive for my thumb. I have also tried electrical tape :eek: and that was too slick moving in the ball when warm.

What protective tape are you using that's abrasive on your thumb?

The tape like turbo's fitting/protective tape sticks on the thumb and shouldn't be abrasive at all.

Josch
05-13-2012, 11:13 AM

The tape like turbo's fitting/protective tape sticks on the thumb and shouldn't be abrasive at all.

Can you use protective tape on the thumb hole or should I get a different type of tape?

MICHAEL
05-13-2012, 11:53 AM
I use to have all kinds of problems with my thumb hole,,,, bleeding on the inside, and on one of my other balls, on the back. That tape that you put on your thumb, that comes in different colors WORKS GREAT!!!! I use blue that is slick stick in on the inside of thumb, and the outside sometimes depending on which ball, and IT WORKS GREAT!
No sticking NO pain, No damage to thumb. All pro shops sell it. I don't mess with putting tape inside the hole. I know many pro's and rec bowlers do use it, I don't and the tape on the thumb is to protect the skin from blisters ect... stuff works great! I use to use that liquid skin,,, (toxic) stuff!! Glad I found the tape.

Josch
05-13-2012, 05:19 PM
I just saw this thing on bowlingball.com. It's called a Shur Cushion. It's a padded thick tape like thing you put in the back of your thumb hole. I think I'll try this over traditional tape. Has anyone here ever used this product. Here's a link (http://www.bowlingball.com/products/bowling-accessories/AceMitchell/4257/Shur-Cushion.html#!prettyPhoto).

billf
05-13-2012, 05:30 PM
I just saw this thing on bowlingball.com. It's called a Shur Cushion. It's a padded thick tape like thing you put in the back of your thumb hole. I think I'll try this over traditional tape. Has anyone here ever used this product. Here's a link (http://www.bowlingball.com/products/bowling-accessories/AceMitchell/4257/Shur-Cushion.html#!prettyPhoto).

Haven't tried it but for that price I sure did order it!

billf
05-13-2012, 05:33 PM

If I didn't pay attention, after several games the tape would start to peel away or roll. Then I somehow would end up with the rough side again my thumb. Our alley sold the Ebonite roll of protective tape but it looks a lot like the Turbo brand.

Josch
05-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Haven't tried it but for that price I sure did order it!
What size did you get? I'm thinking of getting the 1/8 inch for my 2 balls with the large thumb holes. If it's not big enough I'll use it on my good fitting ball and try the 1/4 inch.

billf
05-13-2012, 05:40 PM
I ordered some of both. I have interchangeable thumbs due to severe swelling so I wasn't confident which size to purchase.

billf
05-13-2012, 05:41 PM
3/8 just sounded way too big

got_a_300
05-15-2012, 12:04 AM

Looks to be a remake/copy of Ron Clifton's Magic Carpet (http://www.bowl4fun.com/magiccarpet/magiccarpet.htm) I tried the magic carpet it works
pretty well. The only thing is it is hard to get used to the feeling of having it in the back of
the thumb hole but I might just give this new Shur Cushion a try myself.

MICHAEL
05-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Hit your thumb with a large hammer,,,, wait 60 seconds, then see if it fits better!!! lol.... sorry I had to say it~~ Don't know how many times I wacked my thumb while doing Iron Work.... (:)

billf
05-15-2012, 11:57 AM
That's how I brole my right thumb two years in a row, hitting it with a sledge hammer. Have done that particular job thousands of times in the last 21 years but the two times I lost track of where my hand was and "SPLAT". That thumb is now 1 1/4' wide and 3/4' thick. Makes for a very strange looking thumb slug.

MICHAEL
05-15-2012, 10:49 PM
shur cushions work nice! I purchased one they hold up pretty good, and last. Its very slick on the side that faces the finger! Soft and cushioned! No drag at all.
I would recommend it if your having a problem with the thumb hole, but talk to you pro first, he might be able to fix the problem.

JaMau24
05-15-2012, 11:19 PM
Hit your thumb with a large hammer,,,, wait 60 seconds, then see if it fits better!!! lol.... sorry I had to say it~~ Don't know how many times I wacked my thumb while doing Iron Work.... (:)

lol, that cracked me up.