PDA

View Full Version : Besides a Ball(s) and shoes, what do you keep in your bowling bag?

ursus
05-13-2012, 06:12 PM
What are those accessories that you keep in there

Josch
05-13-2012, 06:17 PM
The only other thing I keep in my bag is a random rag. It's not even microfiber. I plan on picking up a microfiber towel, some tape, and some cleaner this week though.

Davec13
05-13-2012, 06:48 PM
I have the usual stuff in my bag rags, cleaner, baby powder, tape, scissors. I also have some not so typical stuff cards, dice, and depending on the night a flask ;)

Etrain
05-13-2012, 07:23 PM
micro fiber rag, lil bottle of ball cleaner, my glove, & shoes

billf
05-13-2012, 08:42 PM
lmao half a pro shop!

ursus
05-13-2012, 10:22 PM
lmao half a pro shop!

What does half a pro shop constitute Bill?

JaMau24
05-14-2012, 02:53 AM
Good question.. I keep 3 microfiber towels, one to wipe the ball after each throw, the other two to clean the ball after I'm done with cleaner, and 1 regular towel. I keep shoe covers, scissors, tape, a wired brush for shoes, clean 'n dull cleaner, a band-aid, new-skin (liquid bandage stuff for little cuts), rosin, thumb hole tape inserts, super glue, and a granola bar lol. How's that for an answer!? haha

americantrotter
05-14-2012, 08:51 AM
rosin bag, cards, pen, microfiber towel, large Patriots towel (cleaning), small Patriots towel (for sweat), shoe covers, ball cleaner, pair of socks, league rules.

dgz924s
05-14-2012, 09:56 AM
In addition to the stuff metioned already, a note pad, diabetic supplies, nail clipper, inserts and glue, Ibuprofen and candy.

billf
05-14-2012, 10:05 AM
What does half a pro shop constitute Bill?
Ball polish, 3 different ball cleaners, white ball tape, black ball tape, nu-skin, skin protector tape, scissors, several extra finger tip grips, 6 abralon pads, assorted micro fiber towels, three ball holders, extra soles and heels, extra set of shoes, shoe brush, ultra-slide, ultra-gripe, grip sack, super glue, three knee braces (I wear two on my right knee), elbow brace, 3 different wrist braces, athletic tape. I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff too.

kev3inp
05-14-2012, 10:14 AM
There's a whole list of stuff I tote along. I think I've got a list someplace. I'll look for it.

kev3inp
05-14-2012, 10:35 AM
I've forgotten where I got this write-up, but it's not bad. My comments are in the parentheses.

What to Carry in Your Bag Besides Shoes and a Bowling Ball

Every serious bowler knows that he or she needs a few basic essentials in their bag before they shoe up for competition. Besides the obvious ball and shoe requirements, there are a number of other essential tools that every bowler from the competitive league member up to the touring pro should be carrying into the bowling center.

- Tape: tape comes in a variety of sizes and thicknesses and is used to adjust the size of the thumb and finger holes. A bowler should have multiple pieces of each type, including thick and thin varieties. Depending on the temperature and humidity levels outside and in the center itself, the feel of the fingers, especially the thumb, can change dramatically. Adding and removing tape from the finger holes can truly make the difference between stringing strikes or missing that crucial shot. (I also carry Ron Clifton's Magic Carpet for the back of my thumbholes.)

- Tape tool: putting tape in a hole is a fairly simple process. Getting tape out of a hole can be a little trickier. Carrying some kind of tool - either a 1/8" flat-head screwdriver or a small pocketknife - will make removing tape a much easier. Another handy tool for this job is a pair of needle-nose pliers to grab and remove stubborn pieces of tape. (I also carry a Leatherman multi-tool.)

- Thumb hole scraper/beveling tool: In the event that the bowler's thumb has really swollen beyond the size of the thumb hole, having a scraping tool and beveling tool can be a life saver. A scraper is used to remove material from the inside of the thumb hole. The beveling tool is used to remove material from the lip of the thumb hole. (Sanding screen is also handy to have for opening thumbs.)

- Multiple towels: carrying multiple towels is a must for every bowler. One towel should be dedicated to the job of removing oil from the surface of the ball between shots. Another should be available for applying ball cleaners and surface treatment solutions. A third towel, somewhat thinner than the others, should be kept on hand to remove any cleaning solutions that might leak down into the finger holes. (For me a sweat towel is essential. Sometimes I think I should use antiperspirant on my head.)

- Lip balm: though it might come in handy in the event of chapped lips, lip balm also makes a very useful anti-sticking agent. There are times when no amount of adjustment to the thumb hole keeps the thumb from sticking. Applying a bit of lip balm to the point on the thumb where the sticking is occurring can help free up the sticky release and provide opportunity for much cleaner shots.

- Instant glue: when finger inserts break loose, instant glue is an absolute necessity. Applying a drop to each side of a finger insert will lock it back into place and takes only a few seconds to set. Another use for instant glue is for temporarily repairing split or broken fingernails. Few things are as painful as split fingernails (and blisters) when trying to finish out a qualifying block or league series. Instant glue can provide some much-needed repair that won't require major adjustments to the finger holes. Finally, instant glue makes for very quick repairs on the soles and heels of shoes in the event something goes wrong. (It does seem that by the time you need it it has dried out, though.)

- Fingernail clippers: there are times when the fingernails and cuticles take a beating while bowling. Having fingernail clippers on hand to clean up any jagged edges and splitting skin can mean the difference between a relative degree of comfort and experiencing pain with every shot you take.

- Pain reliever: Ibuprofen, acetaminophen, aspirin, or any other anti-inflammation pain reliever can be an absolute necessity, especially during long tournament blocks or multiple-squad entries in a tournament. After 6 or 7 games the knees, hands, elbows, and back can begin to hurt. Having an ample supply of pain reliever on hand can quickly alleviate problems, especially if its taken before symptoms begin to manifest themselves severely.

- Waterproof shoe covers: especially necessary for the slide sole, having a moisture-proof cover for your bowling shoes can be a lifesaver. There's no limit to the invisible hazards you might encounter while walking through the center to use to restroom or heading to the canteen for a quick soda. Having a sole cover can protect you from invisible spills and foodstuffs that might litter the floor. On rainy days, bowlers can track water all over the center. Since even the smallest drop of water can spoil the slide sole, keeping the shoes covered as much as possible is important for safety reasons.

- A shoe brush: a shoe brush is just a small wire brush that can be used to smooth the surface of the slide sole. Brushing the slide sole in a specific direction can help the bowler slide more smoothly, stop sooner, or overcome issues with soiled soles. Nothing can ruin your day like stepping on a piece of food without some way to remove the gunk and recondition the sole. (I also carry replacement soles and heels and a slide sock for when it's really bad.)

- Rosin: either in a small pouch or in a small cloth ball, having some kind of rosin to keep the hands dry is a valuable tool. Especially in clutch situations when the hand might be sweating more than air alone can manage, having a drying agent available is a must. Just a note, if you carry the small rectangular rosin bags, keep them in their plastic zip bags to prevent spillage in the pit area. (I also carry talc, rosin seems to be a little tacky sometimes.)

- Skin patch: skin patch consists of small cotton patches with a quick-dry solution that sticks the cotton to raw areas on the hands. Skin patch should be applied wherever blisters or splits in the skin may occur. The patch can be applied after blistering or splitting, but the quick-dry solution is very painful when applied to raw or torn skin. Applying it after a situation has arisen is only recommended for the truly pain-tolerant individuals.

- Sandpaper/abrasive pads: sandpaper can be used for both the thumb hole and the surface of the bowling ball. Multiple grits of sandpaper (220, 400, 800, and 1000 grit) and abrasive pads (burgundy, green, and gray) are recommended.

Individual preferences will vary, but the items listed above will assure that most bowlers are adequately prepared for most normal situations that might occur during league or tournament play. Most of these items will easily fit inside a small bag that is no bigger than a gallon-sized plastic zipper bag. Having these items immediately on hand will provide both peace of mind and quick resolution to small problems that might affect a bowler's performance. (Plus any lucky talismans you may want.)

ursus
05-14-2012, 12:23 PM
I've forgotten where I got this write-up, but it's not bad. My comments are in the parentheses.

What to Carry in Your Bag Besides Shoes and a Bowling Ball

Every serious bowler knows that he or she needs a few basic essentials in their bag before they shoe up for competition. Besides the obvious ball and shoe requirements, there are a number of other essential tools that every bowler from the competitive league member up to the touring pro should be carrying into the bowling center.

- Tape: tape comes in a variety of sizes and thicknesses and is used to adjust the size of the thumb and finger holes. A bowler should have multiple pieces of each type, including thick and thin varieties. Depending on the temperature and humidity levels outside and in the center itself, the feel of the fingers, especially the thumb, can change dramatically. Adding and removing tape from the finger holes can truly make the difference between stringing strikes or missing that crucial shot. (I also carry Ron Clifton's Magic Carpet for the back of my thumbholes.)

- Tape tool: putting tape in a hole is a fairly simple process. Getting tape out of a hole can be a little trickier. Carrying some kind of tool - either a 1/8" flat-head screwdriver or a small pocketknife - will make removing tape a much easier. Another handy tool for this job is a pair of needle-nose pliers to grab and remove stubborn pieces of tape. (I also carry a Leatherman multi-tool.)

- Thumb hole scraper/beveling tool: In the event that the bowler's thumb has really swollen beyond the size of the thumb hole, having a scraping tool and beveling tool can be a life saver. A scraper is used to remove material from the inside of the thumb hole. The beveling tool is used to remove material from the lip of the thumb hole. (Sanding screen is also handy to have for opening thumbs.)

- Multiple towels: carrying multiple towels is a must for every bowler. One towel should be dedicated to the job of removing oil from the surface of the ball between shots. Another should be available for applying ball cleaners and surface treatment solutions. A third towel, somewhat thinner than the others, should be kept on hand to remove any cleaning solutions that might leak down into the finger holes. (For me a sweat towel is essential. Sometimes I think I should use antiperspirant on my head.)

- Lip balm: though it might come in handy in the event of chapped lips, lip balm also makes a very useful anti-sticking agent. There are times when no amount of adjustment to the thumb hole keeps the thumb from sticking. Applying a bit of lip balm to the point on the thumb where the sticking is occurring can help free up the sticky release and provide opportunity for much cleaner shots.

- Instant glue: when finger inserts break loose, instant glue is an absolute necessity. Applying a drop to each side of a finger insert will lock it back into place and takes only a few seconds to set. Another use for instant glue is for temporarily repairing split or broken fingernails. Few things are as painful as split fingernails (and blisters) when trying to finish out a qualifying block or league series. Instant glue can provide some much-needed repair that won't require major adjustments to the finger holes. Finally, instant glue makes for very quick repairs on the soles and heels of shoes in the event something goes wrong. (It does seem that by the time you need it it has dried out, though.)

- Fingernail clippers: there are times when the fingernails and cuticles take a beating while bowling. Having fingernail clippers on hand to clean up any jagged edges and splitting skin can mean the difference between a relative degree of comfort and experiencing pain with every shot you take.

- Pain reliever: Ibuprofen, acetaminophen, aspirin, or any other anti-inflammation pain reliever can be an absolute necessity, especially during long tournament blocks or multiple-squad entries in a tournament. After 6 or 7 games the knees, hands, elbows, and back can begin to hurt. Having an ample supply of pain reliever on hand can quickly alleviate problems, especially if its taken before symptoms begin to manifest themselves severely.

- Waterproof shoe covers: especially necessary for the slide sole, having a moisture-proof cover for your bowling shoes can be a lifesaver. There's no limit to the invisible hazards you might encounter while walking through the center to use to restroom or heading to the canteen for a quick soda. Having a sole cover can protect you from invisible spills and foodstuffs that might litter the floor. On rainy days, bowlers can track water all over the center. Since even the smallest drop of water can spoil the slide sole, keeping the shoes covered as much as possible is important for safety reasons.

- A shoe brush: a shoe brush is just a small wire brush that can be used to smooth the surface of the slide sole. Brushing the slide sole in a specific direction can help the bowler slide more smoothly, stop sooner, or overcome issues with soiled soles. Nothing can ruin your day like stepping on a piece of food without some way to remove the gunk and recondition the sole. (I also carry replacement soles and heels and a slide sock for when it's really bad.)

- Rosin: either in a small pouch or in a small cloth ball, having some kind of rosin to keep the hands dry is a valuable tool. Especially in clutch situations when the hand might be sweating more than air alone can manage, having a drying agent available is a must. Just a note, if you carry the small rectangular rosin bags, keep them in their plastic zip bags to prevent spillage in the pit area. (I also carry talc, rosin seems to be a little tacky sometimes.)

- Skin patch: skin patch consists of small cotton patches with a quick-dry solution that sticks the cotton to raw areas on the hands. Skin patch should be applied wherever blisters or splits in the skin may occur. The patch can be applied after blistering or splitting, but the quick-dry solution is very painful when applied to raw or torn skin. Applying it after a situation has arisen is only recommended for the truly pain-tolerant individuals.

- Sandpaper/abrasive pads: sandpaper can be used for both the thumb hole and the surface of the bowling ball. Multiple grits of sandpaper (220, 400, 800, and 1000 grit) and abrasive pads (burgundy, green, and gray) are recommended.

Individual preferences will vary, but the items listed above will assure that most bowlers are adequately prepared for most normal situations that might occur during league or tournament play. Most of these items will easily fit inside a small bag that is no bigger than a gallon-sized plastic zipper bag. Having these items immediately on hand will provide both peace of mind and quick resolution to small problems that might affect a bowler's performance. (Plus any lucky talismans you may want.)

Thanks for taking the time to put such a detailed list together. It really helps some of us newer bowlers understand the use and reason for carrying some of those goodies we see in the pro shop

kev3inp
05-14-2012, 01:18 PM
Glad to be of service. When I find interesting write ups I tend to hang onto them so I can share them in the future.