PDA

View Full Version : 14lb v. 15lb ball

Mi5hka
05-13-2012, 07:31 PM
i bowl using a 14lb ball and just wanted to know if 15lb would be much of a difference ? was thinking about moving up in weight...

Etrain
05-13-2012, 07:36 PM
as long as u feel comfortable throwing it then go for it, if u find yourself struggling a little to keep the ball correct then dont do it

If you bowl with 2 fingers the extra weight might cause issues on the wrist FYI

JaMau24
05-13-2012, 08:31 PM
I really don't notice a difference.. I use a 14 and 15.. I can definitely tell the Vivid weighs more than the Nexxus f(P+R), but I don't notice a difference when they hit the pins.

billf
05-13-2012, 08:39 PM
The rule of thumb is 10 pins a game per pound of ball weight. Sounds like a lot? Not really. It's just one pin falling late for a strike per game. Go with what is most comfortable and gets the best speed and reaction for you.

Just be sure that whatever ball you are using is using the same core on the 14lbs as the 15lbs. Most companies are doing so now.

Mi5hka
05-14-2012, 12:31 AM
yea sticking with a symmetrical type bowling iwht a cyclone (14lb) wanting to get a little upgrade either hy-road or crossroad and maybe get that in 15lb i know getting the ball drilled to fit your hand makes it feel lighter so maybe ill go with 15lb maybe itll keep my arm straight also..

Mi5hka
05-15-2012, 01:34 AM
Lbs. RG Diff.
16 2.53 0.055
15 2.56 0.052
14 2.60 0.050

i bowl using a 14lb cyclone, was probably going to get the crossroad but either in 14 0r 15lb's cant really decide. seems liek everyone uses 15ponds for this ball...not trying to be a follower o anyhting but is ther emuch of a difference between the 14 and 15 pounds ?

eugene02
05-15-2012, 01:35 AM
I'm using a 14 pound now and i feel like the ball is too light for me alr.. considering to get a mid 15 or heavy 15 instead for my next ball

Mi5hka
05-15-2012, 01:38 AM
yea im trying to figure out what weight i would get more use out of. why do they change the diffs and rg's with weights why cant they have the same thru out lol.

eugene02
05-15-2012, 02:32 AM
but i do believe heavier ball hit harder on the pins.. because the ball wont get bounced off from the pins

Mi5hka
05-15-2012, 02:37 AM
but i do believe heavier ball hit harder on the pins.. because the ball wont get bounced off from the pins

from what ive heard yea

eugene02
05-15-2012, 03:38 AM
Lbs. RG Diff.
16 2.53 0.055
15 2.56 0.052
14 2.60 0.050

i bowl using a 14lb cyclone, was probably going to get the crossroad but either in 14 0r 15lb's cant really decide. seems liek everyone uses 15ponds for this ball...not trying to be a follower o anyhting but is ther emuch of a difference between the 14 and 15 pounds ?

the lower the RG would be better? but the Diff. increase.. what does this 2 mean? anyone?

Jay
05-15-2012, 05:57 AM
FWIW, I'm currently moving from a 16lb Columbia Beast (I told you guys I've been away from bowling for a while) to a 14lb Cyclone and I'm extremely confident (after only a couple games with it) that I'll score better because I feel I'll be more in control and suffer less fatigue.

I'm 51 years old, 5'7" and around 160lbs. Not in world-class shape but not a schlump either. Cyclone is fingertip drilled and the ball tech and I decided to set it up a tad off the most aggressive drilling setup for the THS where I'll be bowling.

Just $0.02 worth from the rookie peanut gallery...

peterfa
05-26-2012, 07:08 PM
If you are trying to build an arsenal of balls, keep them all @ the same weight? If you are just replacing your one ball and you can handle the added pound for multiple games, then by all means, go up the pound.

billf
05-26-2012, 11:55 PM
the lower the RG would be better? but the Diff. increase.. what does this 2 mean? anyone?

RG - DIFFERENTIAL
The difference between the maximum and minimum Radius of Gyration. RG-differential indicates the bowling ball's track flare potential. The higher the number the greater the track flare potential.
RG - AVERAGE RADIUS OF GYRATION
Bowling balls have a RG (Radius of Gyration) converted to a scale of 1-10. RG numbers range from 2.46 to 2.800, but some companies have converted them to a 1-10 scale to help give the consumer a better frame of reference. Mass distribution numbers describe the distribution of mass in the bowling ball. High RG numbers indicate that the balls mass is distributed more towards the cover (cover heavy)which promotes length through the heads of the bowling lane. Low RG numbers indicate that the balls mass is distributed more towards the center (center heavy) which promotes an earlier roll through the front part of the lane.

If you worked the math out then basically the difference in ball weight (16 and 32 ounces) causes the the RG and Diff to be different to maintain similar ball reaction at a given speed with a fixed coefficient of friction.

slmrcs
05-27-2012, 08:46 AM
A long time ago I went from 16 to 15, not from 15 to 14. Even have a beat up 13 lb ball I got for $10 as an experiment (the pro-shop has that used for me to try a lighter weight, but no 14 lb ball for $10). What will make a 14 or 16 pound ball bounce off the pins is not it's weight, or speed, but it's roll. If it slips out of your hand and you get bad roll, you're carry will suffer. Poor rotation, and especially a ball that still has some skid will not carry. A well thrown, modern 13 pound ball, that hits the pocked the proper time (after it's skid, hook turn and before rollout) will cut through the pocked without any problem.

Speed and weight are not significant factors, compared to what can you throw with consistent roll.

At this point, if I had to choose btwn 13 and 15, I'd go with 13. A more consistent release and control is better than weight. And I used to be one of those people who felt I needed to be able to handle 16 pounds. It's also a lot more fun for me to use a ball I can throw effortless, than one I can't.

slmrcs
05-27-2012, 08:53 AM
mis-type. I meant to say I'm now going to 14 lbs.

I don't want to sound too against heavier weights. Just that the whole speed X mass = how hard you hit the pins, is way over simplified and doesn't take in account more important factors, such as quality of balll roll, which is more important.

billf
05-27-2012, 01:29 PM
mis-type. I meant to say I'm now going to 14 lbs.

I don't want to sound too against heavier weights. Just that the whole speed X mass = how hard you hit the pins, is way over simplified and doesn't take in account more important factors, such as quality of balll roll, which is more important.

Actually it does take those factors into consideration. Whether it's Joe Slowinski, Ron Clifton, John Jowdy, Ron Hatfield, Fred Borben or Andy Parker, all of them have stated that yes, speed is the biggest factor for carry, etc with ALL OTHER FACTORS BEING EQUAL. That would cover ball roll among other things.