PDA

View Full Version : Pin / cg / pap

eugene02
05-16-2012, 09:26 AM
How do I choose where should the pin be if i'm ordering online.. My pro shop which I made my balls did not tell me which is which and what is what.. He only sees the ball and ask his assistant to get another ball of the same type but different pin i guess... thats why i'm curious to know for future ordering online all this.. thanks :)

bowl1820
05-16-2012, 10:00 AM
What is being referred to when ordering a ball online is Pin to CG distance.

For most normal layouts you want Pin to CG distance between about 3" to 5". this will give the driller "room to work with" when laying out the ball.

Look at the balls you have now, measure from the pin to the cg. That should give a good idea of the measurement for ordering.

jaydee
05-16-2012, 10:43 AM
If a pin distance is too short (usually less than 2") or too long (more than 5") it is usually considered a "2nd quality" or "pro pin" ball because it limits your options as far as drilling for most bowlers and are less desirable. Typically most bowlers/drillers like working with a ball that has a 2-3" or 3-4" pin distance.

eugene02
05-16-2012, 10:54 AM
What is being referred to when ordering a ball online is Pin to CG distance.

For most normal layouts you want Pin to CG distance between about 3" to 5". this will give the driller "room to work with" when laying out the ball.

Look at the balls you have now, measure from the pin to the cg. That should give a good idea of the measurement for ordering.

dont mind tell me which is the CG for this ball.. The pin is 1 o clock of the finger plug i guess.. sry a noob here >_<

bowl1820
05-16-2012, 08:48 PM

dont mind tell me which is the CG for this ball.. The pin is 1 o clock of the finger plug i guess.. sry a noob here >_<

The yellow dot by the fingers is the Pin.

Finding the CG on a Lane 1 is a pain. There should be a little mark around the label.

looking at your pic. Look at the "N" in the word lane, there's a little dot "." in the "N" that should be it. (if not its close enough)

looks like maybe a 3"-4" Pin.

eugene02
05-17-2012, 12:31 AM

Finding the CG on a Lane 1 is a pain. There should be a little mark around the label.

looking at your pic. Look at the "N" in the word lane, there's a little dot "." in the "N" that should be it. (if not its close enough)

okay.. imma measure it now... hold on a min while i grab my measuring tape!!

eugene02
05-17-2012, 12:52 AM

its a 3" - 4" pin..

eugene02
05-17-2012, 12:54 AM
1 more question.. what is the top weight??

bowl1820
05-17-2012, 07:18 AM
1 more question.. what is the top weight??

Top weight is extra weight that is added to the ball to compensate for the weight removed by drilling the finger holes. the top weight of a undrilled balls can vary. 2-3oz top weight, or 3-4oz top weight are pretty common.

If you have the org. boxes your other balls came in, just look on the label it should have it on there. That will give you a idea what range to get if they ask for a top weight.

Example:
A ball with a 3-4" pin and 2-3oz. of top weight. would work for most typical layouts.

eugene02
05-17-2012, 07:42 AM
Top weight is extra weight that is added to the ball to compensate for the weight removed by drilling the finger holes. the top weight of a undrilled balls can vary. 2-3oz top weight, or 3-4oz top weight are pretty common.

If you have the org. boxes your other balls came in, just look on the label it should have it on there. That will give you a idea what range to get if they ask for a top weight.

Example:
A ball with a 3-4" pin and 2-3oz. of top weight. would work for most typical layouts.

if i want a medium 15lb ball.. how much weight one should i get?

bowl1820
05-17-2012, 07:54 AM
As I said in my example.

eugene02
05-17-2012, 08:02 AM
As I said in my example.

okay. thanks.

eugene02
05-17-2012, 08:12 AM
whats the meaning of the PAP?

bowl1820
05-17-2012, 08:27 AM
whats the meaning of the PAP?

P.A.P. means "Positive Axis Point" this is referring to the initial axis your ball is rotating around when you release the ball.

It is used in laying out a ball to predict how the ball will react.

Take a look at this link-
click for Positive Axis Point and video (http://www.bowlspot.com/coaching/positiveAxisPoint)

also this-
click for Positive_axis_point Info (http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index.php?title=Positive_axis_point%28PAP%29)

eugene02
05-17-2012, 10:18 AM
P.A.P. means "Positive Axis Point" this is referring to the initial axis your ball is rotating around when you release the ball.

It is used in laying out a ball to predict how the ball will react.

Take a look at this link-
click for Positive Axis Point and video (http://www.bowlspot.com/coaching/positiveAxisPoint)

also this-
click for Positive_axis_point Info (http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index.php?title=Positive_axis_point%28PAP%29)

oh!!! okay.. so much better now.. thanks!!

martin
05-18-2012, 12:00 AM
what's CG? never noticed that thing before..

bowl1820
05-18-2012, 12:17 AM
what's CG? never noticed that thing before..

Center of Gravity (CG)

The addition of the internal weight block will create an uneven distribution of weight in the ball. This imbalance will result in a portion of the ball being heavier. Identifying the heaviest portion of the ball is the first step in being able to effectively use this imbalance.
Center of Gravity (CG)
Since a portion of the ball is heavier than the rest, logic would dictate that gravity will pull the heaviest side of the ball down to the bottom of the ball. With the heaviest portion now located at the bottom of the ball – the ball is completely at rest. The axis running from the point touching the ground through the top of the ball is known as the center of gravity (CG). The whole mass of the bowling ball is concentrated around this axis.
An easy way of understanding the concept of CG is using a top as an example. A top is an unbalanced object with one part being heavier then the other. When putting the top into motion, it will eventually spin or rotate around a fixed or central axis. This point or axis (where the weight of the object is evenly distributed) is the CG.
Some ball manufacturers will determine and identify the CG on the ball by putting a punch mark into the ball. This mark is usually located somewhere within the label of the ball.

martin
05-18-2012, 01:07 AM
hmm wonder where the CG on my ball is..

eugene02
05-18-2012, 01:22 AM

post a pic of it here and see if we can find it for you.. posted mine and found it.. :)

martin
05-18-2012, 08:02 AM
maybe later on sunday or monday..

eugene02
05-18-2012, 08:19 AM
maybe later on sunday or monday..

sure! anytime when your free to do so!

bowl1820
05-18-2012, 09:02 AM

What ball is it? most companies put a symbol on it for the cg.

like storm has a little circle with a dot in it. Rotogrip has a little four pointed star.

eugene02
05-18-2012, 10:25 AM
What ball is it? most companies put a symbol on it for the cg.

like storm has a little circle with a dot in it. Rotogrip has a little four pointed star.

mine is a lane 1 thn in the middle of the N there's a dot.

bowl1820
05-18-2012, 11:14 AM
mine is a lane 1 thn in the middle of the N there's a dot.

Yeah like I said earlier.

eugene02
05-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Yeah like I said earlier.

yup! thanks to this forum thread that i know how to order a ball from the internet if i were to ever get 1 !

martin
05-18-2012, 09:54 PM
mine is a Brunswick Anaconda

bowl1820
05-18-2012, 10:27 PM
mine is a Brunswick Anaconda

I believe you should see a small circle with a little dot in it.

see it here
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff192/The_Bowlers_Edge/For%20Sale/2011-03-09125708.jpg

martin
05-18-2012, 10:51 PM
hmm maybe i'll check it out tomorrow

eugene02
05-18-2012, 11:09 PM
I believe you should see a small circle with a little dot in it.

see it here
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff192/The_Bowlers_Edge/For%20Sale/2011-03-09125708.jpg

too obvious to miss it anymore! hahaha

martin
05-19-2012, 04:51 AM
does drilling involve CG? what does it affect?

eugene02
05-19-2012, 05:10 AM

yes it does. if you realize when you hold your ball, one side feels heavier. because the ball CG is not directly below but somewhere at the side.. if im right...

bowl1820
05-19-2012, 08:49 AM

Now your into a complex and controversial subject that involves the USBC rules on static weights and modern balls.

Only thing for sure is that the CG matters in terms of keeping a bowling ball within the USBC guidelines for static weights after drilling.

There are two sides. "CG Matters" View and the "CG NOMADDAH" View

You can read more here.
http://www.brunsnick.com/role_of_cg.html
and here
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index.php?title=Center_of_Gravity

eugene02
05-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Now your into a complex and controversial subject that involves the USBC rules on static weights and modern balls.

Only thing for sure is that the CG matters in terms of keeping a bowling ball within the USBC guidelines for static weights after drilling.

There are two sides. "CG Matters" View and the "CG NOMADDAH" View

You can read more here.
http://www.brunsnick.com/role_of_cg.html
and here
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index.php?title=Center_of_Gravity

Oh... CG doesn't really mean anything if not for USBC rules.. hmm.. interesting! another thing learned! Thanks!!

martin
05-20-2012, 11:07 PM
hmm i see.. btw, found my CG.. lol..