PDA

View Full Version : Duke Makes History at PBA World Championship

onefrombills
10-26-2008, 04:32 PM
Duke Makes History at PBA World Championship
Duke becomes first player in PBA history to win three consecutive Majors

WICHITA, KAN. (October 26, 2008) — Norm Duke became the first player in PBA history to win three consecutive Majors as he captured the PBA World Championship at Northrock Lanes in Wichita, Kan., which marks the first event of the 50th Anniversary Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour season. Prior to today’s win over 2007-08 PBA Player of the Year Chris Barnes of Double Oak, Tex. (259-189), Duke had won the 2007-08 Denny’s World Championship and the U.S. Open. Today marked his first PBA World Championship title in his 27-year career.

“That (making history) hasn’t hit me,” Duke said. “I was focused on winning the World Championship. When I heard that, it kind of choked me up. It’s a dream and I want to thank my family for standing by me the whole time.”

Duke, of Clermont, Fla., started with the first seven strikes in the championship match, leaving a 10-pin in the eighth frame. Duke shot 259, claiming the title, along with a two-year exemption and $50,000. Meanwhile, Barnes looked shaky as he opened two of the first five frames, never recovering, shooting 189 in the title match.

“The guys are getting real good at being able to all play all parts of the lane. Chris (Barnes) is exceptional playing in and out,” Duke said. “He did a good job of being able to leapfrog between the two. I was fortunate. I was the one who got the strikes.”

Duke now holds 30 total PBA career titles, with six Major wins lifetime. Today marked his 100th singles television appearance. He advanced to today’s final by defeating Wichita resident Sean Rash 236-215 in the first semifinal of the day. Duke struck out in the 10th frame forcing Rash to strike out to tie; however, Rash left a 9-pin in the 10th frame.

Barnes advanced to today’s title match by defeating Steve Jaros (Yorkville, Ill.) 202-181. Jaros had an early lead, but Barnes continued his trend of coming back from a deficit, striking out in the 10th frame to lock out Jaros to advance. Barnes took home the second-place prize of $25,000.

The PBA World Championship took place in Wichita, Kan. at Northrock Lanes. The Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour continues October 28 – November 2 at the Pepsi Viper Championship in Omaha, Neb. The finals will broadcast live Sunday on ESPN at 1 p.m. EST. For complete Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour information, please visit pba.com.

Semifinals
# Norm Duke ($50,000), Clermont, Fla., def. # Sean Rash ($11,500), Wichita, Kan, 1-0 (236-215).
#16 Chris Barnes ($25,000), Double Oak, Texas, def. #20 Steve Jaros ($11,500), Yorkville, Ill., 1-0 (202-181).

Finals
# Norm Duke ($50,000), Clermont, Fla., def. #16 Chris Barnes ($25,000), Double Oak, Texas, 1-0 (259-189).

About the PBA
The Professional Bowlers Association (PBA) features the best bowlers in the world competing in National, Regional and Senior Tour events. The organization has more than 4,000 members spanning 13 countries, and nearly one million viewers tune-in to watch the Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour every Sunday on ESPN throughout the season. PBA sponsors include Bayer, Brunswick, CLR, Denny's, Etonic, Flomax, GEICO, Go RVing, H&R Block, Lumber Liquidators, Motel 6, Pepsi-Cola and the USBC, among others. For more information on the PBA, log on to www.pba.com